Nagpur University NewsNews »
Nagpur University officials in a quandary over 2nd and 3rd year students :
Nagpur University senior officials seemed in a quandary about having allowed the 250 banned colleges to admit 5,000 students in second and third after the High Court maintained ban on the colleges. These officials had earlier assured the colleges they would make all efforts to get the ban lifted from the court. But after the verdict, they were guarded in their replies and said they would seek legal opinion.
Soon after court’s orders, they realized they had committed a blunder by allowing second and third year admissions to these colleges. They now face task of shifting those 5,000 students to other colleges. A week ago, NU had bent over backwards to the pressure from these colleges and allowed the 5,000 students to even participate in forthcoming Students Council elections from September 26, insiders revealed.
Vice-chancellor Vilas Sapkal, however, stated they would abide by the court’s orders and seek legal opinion from standing counsel Purushottam Patil on reimposing ban on second and third year admissions of such colleges. He was accompanied by pro-VC Maheshkumar Yenkie and Board of College and University Development ( BCUD ) director Arvind Chaudhary. “We had already made it clear in the notification that their admission would be subject to court’s decision,” the VC clarified.
Registrar Ashok Gomashe while echoing Sapkal’s stand asked if these colleges could not appoint regular teachers for first year, who would teach the second and third year students. Insiders informed it would be a huge task to shift 5,000 students as NU will have to seek permission for additional sections in existing colleges from the government. The last date of admission will be over by Wednesday.
TOI had been tracking the issue since beginning and had reported NU’s plans to shift these 5,000 students to nearby colleges on September 11. Next day, the college managements stormed NU campus and raised slogans against VC and misbehaved with BCUD director. Finally, at the behest of senior management council member Baban Taywade, who “remote controlled” the NU administration, the ban on second and third year admissions was lifted, insiders pointed out.
Interestingly, even Taywade’s college at Koradi – Arts, Commerce and Science College – had illegally admitted many students in its postgraduate courses despite the ban. Earlier also, legal opinion was sought from Patil and he advised shifting of students. However, to suit the colleges’ interests, even the legal opinion was forcibly changed. These students had taken admissions last year and now the banned colleges were literally blackmailing them by not handing over transfer certificate (TC) and other documents for admission to other colleges, insiders said.
Application Form Submission 16 Dec 2020 to 16 Jan 2021.