Tamilnadu Scientist Awards announcedNews »
Tamilnadu Scientist Awards announced
Eleven researchers from various universities across the State will be conferred the Tamilnadu Scientist Award, instituted by the Tamilnadu State Council for Science and Technology, next month.
A 30 – member committee, including agricultural scientist M.S. Swaminathan, selected the researchers based on various criteria such as social relevance of their projects, other recognitions received and number of papers published in international journals, the Council’s member secretary S. Vincent told reporters on Thursday.
“We received 83 nominations this year and shortlisted 11 people based on the social impact of their projects. The nominations were from a wide range of institutes, which clearly shows the research aptitude of the professors in the State,” he said.
The awardees are :
- R. Rajkumar, senior plant physiologist from Tea Research Institute, Valparai.
- G. Archunan, associate professor in Animal Sciences.
- R. Shankar, professor, Department of Sociology, from Bharathidasan University, Tiruchi.
- P. Manishankar, professor, Industrial Chemistry, Alagappa University, Karaikudi.
- G. Annadurai, associate professor in Environmental Biotechnology, Manonmaniam Sundaranar University, Tirunelveli.
- S. Raju, professor, Department of ECE, Thiagarajar College of Engineering, Madurai.
- K. Thangavel, professor of Computer Science, Periyar University, Salem.
- Sunithi Solomon, Director, YRG Centre for AIDS Research Education.
- S.M. Chandramohan, head of the Department of Surgical Gastroenterology, Government General Hospital, Chennai.
- R. Gopalakrishnan, senior lecturer, Department of Physics, Anna University, Chennai.
- B. Suresh Subramanian, associate professor, Department of Dairy Science, Madras Veterinary College, Chennai.
The awards will be presented in the third week of June. Each award will also include a cash prize of Rs.10,000, Mr. Vincent said.
Application Form Submission 16 Dec 2020 to 16 Jan 2021.