UJ – CSIR Scholarships 2011, Africa
Scholarships for Honours / BTech, Master’s and Doctoral students within the faculties of Science, Engineering and Health Sciences at the UJ.
The University of Johannesburg (UJ)and the Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) established a joint bursary programme in 2007.
UJ – CSIR Scholarship Eligibility Criteria :
Applicants must be SA citizens.
- UJ – CSIR Scholarships are awarded on the basis that students commence full – time study at Honours, Master’s or Doctoral level at the UJ in 2011.
- Applicants must ensure that their research area falls within one of the specified disciplines or in closely related disciplines (see Section 3 below).
- The UJ – CSIR Scholarship – holder may not hold full-time salaried employment during the tenure of the scholarship, but he / she will be allowed to undertake a maximum of twelve hours of teaching, tutorials, assistance or demonstration duties per week on average during the year of study, and he / she may be remunerated for his / her services at the normal UJ tariff for services rendered.
- Applicants must have a minimum average of 65% in their previous degree.
- These scholarships may not be held concurrently with bursaries, grants or emoluments which bind the recipient to enter into the service of the contract holder on completion of his / her studies.
- Students may enter into the programme at any of the following stages of study :
- 1st year of Honours in 2011
- 1st or 2nd year of Master’s in 2011 or
- 1st, 2nd or 3rd year of Doctorate in 2011
- Provided that the necessary previous qualification has been completed by the commencement of the programme.
- Renewal of UJ – CSIR Scholarships for each academic year is determined by satisfactory progress of the student.
- UJ – CSIR Scholarship – holders will be expected to spend a limited amount of time at CSIR facilities during the course of their studies in order to promote a good understanding of the CSIR among them.
- All successful students will be required to enter into a signed scholarships agreement with the UJ and CSIR.
- If a UJ – CSIR scholarship – holder does not obtain the degree for which the scholarship was awarded within the prescribed period (one year for Honours; two years for Master’s and three years for doctoral study); relinquishes his / her studies, or leaves the UJ during the period for which the scholarship was awarded, the UJ may at its sole discretion require him / her to refund all payments of the scholarship already received for study towards the particular degree / diploma, plus interest at the rate of 15, 5 % per annum a tempore morae.
Applications are invited for Honours, Masters and Doctoral degrees, within the following disciplines or in closely related disciplines :
- Material Science and Manufacturing
- Natural Resources and the Environment
- Information and Communications Technology
- National Laser Center
- Built Environment
- Defense, Peace,Safety and Security
- Modeling and Digital Science
- Bio – sciences
Application forms and the Programme Guide can be downloaded from www. uj.ac.za
1. Applicants must read through the Programme Guide carefully before submitting an application.
2. All fields in the application form must be completed correctly or your application will be rejected.
3. All applicants must submit the following documents :
- An application form
- Curriculum Vitae (clearly indicating your study field)
- ID document
- Full official academic record including all levels of tertiary study prior to your current qualification. Please note that academic records from student portals will NOT be accepted. (Do not submit certificates. Academic records must include marks)
- For Master’s and Doctoral students
- A brief (max one page) outline of the project you would like to explore (clearly indicating the research area
- as specified in Section 3 – that you fit into)
4. If you are unable to courier or post your application, please either hand deliver to the following address :
APK Library and Information Center,
Level 1 (Next to the 24 hour study area)
Auckland Park Kingsway Campus, A-Ring 425
Att: Ms P Luvhengo
Fax to 011-559-4094
Att: Ms P Luvhengo.
5. Confirm receipt of your application if you courier, post or fax with Ms P Luvhengo at 011-559-3780 or email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Closing Date : 15th October 2010.
Application Form Submission 16 Dec 2020 to 16 Jan 2021.