The Cadieux-Leger Fellowship
The Cadieux-Leger Fellowship provides direct experience in a policy planning environment to researchers concerned with the diverse challenges facing Canadian foreign policy.
The Cadieux-Leger Fellow is based in the Policy Research Division at DFAIT. While at DFAIT, the Fellow is expected to advance a research project on a topic relevant to Canadian foreign policy and may also contribute to the work of the Department in the area of his or her expertise.
This may include writing papers, offering presentations and participating in the policy development process.
Eligibility for The Cadieux-Leger Fellowship
The ideal candidate will :
- be available from September 2011 to June 2012;
- be working towards a PhD on a topic of relevance to Canada’s foreign policy;
- be currently recognized as having full-time student status by the academic institution in which they are presently enrolled. Part-time students working on their thesis or recognized by the academic institution in which they are presently enrolled as having a disability will also be considered;
- be required to do a supervised research work term; and
- be enrolled in an academic program that includes supervised laboratory or field research.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to obtain a Secret-level security clearance in order to finalize the selection procedure.
- While non-Canadians may apply, preference is given to Canadian citizens. A Canadian citizen is a person who was born in Canada or who has obtained Canadian citizenship.
Selection Criteria for The Cadieux-Leger Fellowship
Applying for the Cadieux-Leger Fellowship is a two-fold process. Only candidates that have completed the two steps of the process will be considered.
Interested candidates must apply through :
- the Research Affiliate Program (RAP); and
- Candidates are also required to send the following documents directly to DFAIT (the address is provided below) :
- a curriculum vitae;
- a complete transcript;
- a one page research proposal on a significant foreign policy issue relevant to Canada;
- a proof of enrolment for 2011-12 in a recognized academic institution;
- a sample paper or publication; and
- the names of three references.
The Cadieux-Leger Fellowship lasts nine months and the Fellow will receive a total sum not greater than $48,000.
Application Information for Cadieux-Leger Fellowship
The deadline for applications is no later than midnight, January 31, 2011. The successful candidate will be required to relocate to Ottawa at his / her own expense.
Given the important volume of applications, only candidates shortlisted for an interview will be contacted.
Applications should be mailed, e-mailed or faxed to :
Cadieux-Leger Fellowship Administrator,
Policy Research Division (POR),
Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade,
125 Sussex Drive,
Ottawa, ON K1A 0G2,
Fax : (613) 944-0687,
Email : por-at-international.gc.ca.