SSHRC Postdoctoral Fellowships, CanadaScholarships » Canada »
SSHRC Postdoctoral Fellowships
The SSHRC Postdoctoral Fellowships provide stipendiary support to recent PhD graduates who are :
- undertaking original research;
- publishing research findings;
- developing and expanding personal research networks;
- broadening their teaching experience; and
- preparing to become competitive in national research grants competitions.
Fellowships will normally be awarded to candidates affiliated with a university other than that which awarded the PhD. SSHRC Postdoctoral Fellowship awards are tenable at Canadian or foreign universities and research institutions.
Value and Duration for SSHRC Postdoctoral Fellowships :
SSHRC Postdoctoral Fellowships are valued at $38,000 per year, plus an accountable research allowance of up to $5,000 per award. These are taxable, non-renewable fellowships, tenable for a minimum of 12 months and a maximum of 24 months. The award may begin on the first of any month between May 2011 and January 2012.
Eligibility for SSHRC Postdoctoral Fellowships :
To apply to this program, applicants must :
- be a citizen or permanent resident of Canada;
- have earned a first doctorate from a recognized university no earlier than October 1, 2007 (date all degree requirements were completed, not the date of graduation), or have completed a first doctorate no earlier than October 1, 2004, but have had their career interrupted or delayed for the purpose of maternity, childrearing, illness, or health-related family responsibilities;
- not hold a tenure or tenure-track faculty position;
- have finalized arrangements for affiliation with a recognized university or research institution;
- have applied not more than twice before to the SSHRC Postdoctoral Fellowships program;
- not be applying in the 2010-11 academic year to the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC) Postdoctoral Fellowships Program or the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) Postdoctoral Fellowship program; and
- not have already received funding from the SSHRC, NSERC or CIHR postdoctoral fellowship program.
Applicants who obtain their PhD from a foreign university are eligible to apply only if they wish to hold their award at a Canadian university.
Applicants are eligible to apply to hold their award at a foreign university only if their PhD was earned at a Canadian university.
Eligibility to Hold a SSHRC Postdoctoral Fellowship :
To hold the award, candidates must :
- have completed all requirements for their doctoral degree before taking up the SSHRC Postdoctoral Fellowships award, or, at the latest, by December 31, 2011;
- engage in full-time postdoctoral research for the period of the award; and
- not hold or have held a tenure or a tenure-track position or hold any other employment.
Candidates who do not complete all requirements for their doctoral degree by December 31, 2011, will have their offer of an award withdrawn. Note that withdrawn or declined awards will be included in the calculation of the three-application limit for this program.
Federal government employees are eligible to hold a SSHRC Postdoctoral Fellowship award only if they are on an unpaid leave of absence (no salary or special allowances permitted).
Application deadline for SSHRC Postdoctoral Fellowships : October 6, 2010