Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships
The government of Canada announces scholarships worth $50,000 per year for three years for doctoral students. It is available to both Canadian and international PhD students studying at Canadian universities.
Canada Vanier CGS Scholarships Eligibility
Canadian citizens, permanent residents of Canada and foreign citizens are eligible to be nominated for a Vanier CGS.
To be considered for a Vanier CGS, you must:
- be nominated by only one Canadian institution, which must have received a Vanier CGS quota;
- be pursuing your first doctoral degree (including joint undergraduate/graduate research program such as : MD / PhD, DVM / PhD, JD / PhD – if it has a demonstrated and significant research component). Note that only the PhD portion of a combined degree is eligible for funding;
- intend to pursue, in the summer semester or the academic year following the announcement of results, full-time doctoral ( or a joint graduate program such as : MD / PhD, DVM / PhD, JD / PhD ) studies and research at the nominating institution; Note that only the PhD portion of a combined degree is eligible for funding;
- not have completed more than 20 months of doctoral studies as of 1st May, 2018
- have achieved a first-class average, as determined by your institution, in each of the last two years of full-time study or equivalent. Candidates are encouraged to contact the institution for its definition of a first-class average; and
- must not hold, or have held, a doctoral-level scholarship or fellowship from CIHR, NSERC or SSHRC to undertake or complete a doctoral degree.
Eligibility for Nomination :
To be considered for a Vanier CGS, you must :
- Be nominated by only one Canadian university, which must have received a Vanier CGS allocation.
- Be seeking financial support to pursue your first doctoral degree ( or combined MA / PhD or MD / PhD ). Note that only the PhD portion of a combined degree is eligible for funding.
- Intend to pursue, in the summer semester or the academic year following the announcement of results, full time doctoral ( or combined MA / PhD or MD / PhD ) studies and research at the nominating university; Note that only the PhD portion of a combined degree is eligible for funding.
- Have completed no more than 20 months of doctoral studies as of 1st May.
- Have achieved a first class average, as determined by your university, in each of the last two years of full time study or equivalent. Applicants are encouraged to contact the university for its definition of a first class average; and
- Not have already received a doctoral level scholarship or fellowship from CIHR, NSERC or SSHRC to undertake or complete a doctoral degree.
Eligibility to Hold an Vanier CGS
Without exception, Vanier CGS awards are tenable only at the eligible Canadian university that submitted the nomination.
To hold the award, the candidate must :
- be registered unconditionally as a full-time student at the nominating Canadian institution and be pursuing a doctoral degree ( or combined MA / PhD, MSc / PhD, or MD / PhD ); and
- not hold a faculty appointment concurrently with a Vanier Scholarship unless they arrange for a leave of absence from the appointment
- remain enrolled and demonstrate continued satisfactory progress in their doctoral program.
- not hold, or have held, a doctoral-level scholarship or fellowship from CIHR, NSERC or SSHRC to undertake or complete a doctoral degree.
Vanier CGS Doctoral Scholarship Selection Criteria
Nominees will be evaluated and selected based on the following three criteria, which will be weighted equally by the selection committees.
Peer review selection criteria :
- Academic excellence, as demonstrated by past academic results and by transcripts, awards and distinctions.
- Research potential, as demonstrated by the candidate’s research history, his / her interest in discovery, the proposed research and its potential contribution to the advancement of knowledge in the field, the potential benefit to Canadians, and any anticipated outcomes.
- Leadership ( potential and demonstrated ability ), as defined by the following qualities :
Personal Achievement :
- Professional involvement in dance, arts, music, etc.
- Significant artistic achievement
- Recognized athletic achievement, especially in a leadership role
- Entrepreneurial achievement ( start up company ) ; and / or
- Foreign travel and study
Involvement in Academic Life :
- Mentoring / teaching
- Supervisory experience
- Involvement in student government and in the university community, including committees, teams, senate, boards, ethics committees, etc.
- Project management
- Roles in professional societies ; and / or
- Organization of conferences and meetings
Volunteerism / Community Outreach:
- Community involvement in charity or not – for – profit organizations.
Civic Engagement :
- Parliamentary page positions and internships
- Political activity ; and / or
- Elected positions
Assessment of Leadership
Leadership will be assessed against the following personal and social skills :
Goal Achievement :
- Has a clear vision of what he / she wants to accomplish.
- Has developed his / her own vision for the future that defines a bold change for the community or a group, cause or organization; and
- Strategies how to achieve his / her desired outcomes and has specific, realistic and timely goals.
Self – Management :
- Knows how to prioritize and complete tasks to reach his / her desired outcome, and is confident of success
- Establishes learning goals and tasks
- Reaches goals in an efficient, organized and innovative way; and
- Is constantly working on self – improvement.
- Acts consistently with core ethical and personal values and convictions; and
- Accepts personal accountability for the consequences of his / her actions and decisions.
Other Characteristics :
- Is creative and takes initiative
- Is curious
- Deals well with complexity
- Has a strong sense of reality
- Is courageous
- Is strategic, a big – picture thinker
- Focuses on solutions, not problems
- Is capable of producing extraordinary results; and
- Is able to solve real problems and create real products.
- Knows how to develop positive relationships with a diverse range of people
- Cares about and listens to what others say, and gives feedback
- Knows how to motivate individuals
- Is persuasive
- Is supportive of his / her peers
- Is able to negotiate
- Is viewed as trustworthy, ethical and dependable
- Is well – respected; and
- Displays mastery of presentation skills and public communications.
Vanier Canada CGS Scholarship Important Dates
- Nomination submission deadline : 1st November, 2017, 20:00 EDT
Application Form Submission 16 Dec 2020 to 16 Jan 2021.