Medical English Fellowship, China
Fellowship program for graduate medical students with a background in public health or the medical sciences
The Yale – China Association, in partnership with the Yale School of Medicine and Xiangya School of Medicine, created the Yale – China Medical English Fellows Program in 2007.
The program provides opportunities for medical students (or graduate students with a background in public health or the medical sciences) to spend one academic year in residence at Xiangya School of Medicine.
Fellows teach Medical English to Xiangya students and faculty while also learning Mandarin and engaging in clinical and / or research experiences.
The fellowship is an exceptional opportunity for personal, intellectual, and professional growth.
Medical English Fellowship Eligibility :
The fellowship is open to students at the Yale School of Medicine or other U.S. medical schools who are finishing their clinical year in June 2011 and are interested in spending a funded “5th” year in China.
Graduate students with a background in public health or the medical sciences, as well as recent alumni of graduate programs in these areas, are also encouraged to apply.
The application deadline for the 2011 – 2012 fellowship is January 29, 2011 at 10:30 pm.
About Xiangya School of Medicine :
Established in 1914 by the Yale-China Association, Xiangya School of Medicine is considered one of the top medical schools in China today.
It has affiliations with three teaching hospitals and an active program of research in various fields.
In recent years, the Yale – China Association has collaborated with Xiangya in the fields of nursing education, HIV/AIDS, mental health, and community health.
Xiangya is located in Changsha, the capital of central China’s Hunan Province.
Medical English Fellowship Expectations :
Each Teaching Fellow will be expected to :
- Teach 10 periods (up to 50 minutes per period) per week in the fall semester and 8 periods per week in the spring semester.
- Class size could be as large as 50 students. Fellows should expect to spend an additional 3 hours of preparation for each classroom hour.
- Teach 2 periods of Medical English to faculty members or alternatively as office hours for faculty to seek help on their papers and other projects.
- Hold 2 hours of office hours per week to meet with students.
Opportunities and Compensation :
- Intensive training in TEFL and Mandarin Chinese during summer 2011
- Round – trip international travel and expenses related to language training in Beijing and orientation in Hong Kong
- A USD stipend from Yale – China
- Continued paid Mandarin training in the fall semester of 2010 in Changsha
- Opportunities for clinical rotations under the supervision of senior professors from various disciplines at the Xiangya Hospital. (Clinical opportunities can begin in September for Fellows with adequate Mandarin proficiency, and in January for those needing further language study.)
- Free housing (includes utilities and basic phone service) for 12 months; each Fellow will have his / her own bedroom apartment and shared common spaces in a courtyard townhouse
- A monthly renminbi stipend from the host school
- A US $ 1,500 stipend to return to the U.S. during Chinese New Year for residency interviews
- Basic medical coverage and international emergency health evacuation
For more information : Questions about the Medical English Fellowship or the application process should be directed to Katie Molteni Muir at (203) 436-8362 or katie.molteni-at-yale.edu.