Technical University of Denmark – DTU ScholarshipScholarships » Denmark »
2013 DTU PhD Scholarship in Technical University of Denmark
DTU is a technical university providing internationally leading research, education, innovation and public service. Our staff of 5,000 advance science and technology to create innovative solutions that meet the demands of society; and our 9,000 students are educated to address the technological challenges of the future. DTU is an independent academic university collaborating globally with business, industry, government, and public agencies.
PhD positions are available at DTU Systems Biology in the Systems Biotechnology group to be filled no later than December 2013. The positions involve fundamental and applied research on Gram – positive bacteria and evaluation of their suitability as production platforms for selected biochemicals.
Study Subject ( s ) : Biology in the Systems Biotechnology.
Course Level : PhD.
Scholarship Provider : Technical University of Denmark.
Scholarship can be taken at : Denmark.
The Systems Biotechnology group has 20 employees including 10 PhD students and focuses on finding solutions to the challenges associated with microbial production of fuels and chemicals from sustainable feed stocks, see website : http://www.bio.dtu.dk.
Three PhD projects will be initiated along these lines. The projects will employ molecular genetics, synthetic biology and systems biology tools and will address both applied and fundamental scientific questions:
- Project 1 : Lysine production in Gram – positive bacteria
- Project 2 : Lactic Acid Bacteria as cell factories
- Project 3 : Protein production in Gram – positive bacteria under adverse conditions
Eligibility for DTU PhD Scholarship 2013
For all three positions the following qualifications are needed
MSc. Degree in Biotechnology or Life Sciences ( e.g. Microbiology, Fermentation Technology, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology )
- Ability to plan and carry out research independently
- Ability to interact within groups and good collaborative skills
- Practical experience with molecular biology and bacterial genetics
- Good communication skills in English, both written and spoken
Approval and Enrolment
Technical University of Denmark scholarships for the PhD degree are subject to academic approval, and the candidates will be enrolled in one of the general degree programmes of DTU. For information about the general requirements for enrolment and the general planning of the scholarship studies.
Technical University of Denmark PhD Scholarship Description
1. Chemicals produced from sustainable feed stocks are becoming increasingly important due to microorganisms ability to synthesize complex chemicals in a cost competitive and sustainable manor.
2. Pathways for biological production of many industrially relevant compounds are occurring naturally, but the organisms are often not suitable in an industrial setting.
3. The metabolic flexibility and robustness which characterize many of the Gram – positive bacteria makes this group of organisms a particularly interesting starting point for developing new industrial workhorses for biochemical production.
DTU PhD Scholarship Application Form 2013
- Technical University of Denmark PhD Scholarships should be applied by Online.
DTU Applications must be submitted as one PDF file containing all materials to be given consideration. To apply, please open the link ” Apply online,” fill in the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one PDF file.
In the field “Please indicate which position ( s ) you would like to apply for” please indicate which project you are applying for ( title from Phd projects list or individual research projects list above ).
DTU PhD Scholarship 2013 Application Procedure
- All applicants must write a statement of research interests. The statement should be approximately 1 A4 page and should address the following points
- The motivation for applying for this particular position and
- How your previous training / experience qualifies you for this position Curriculum vitae Grade transcripts and BSc / MSc diploma
- Excel sheet with translation of grades to the Danish grading system ( see guidelines and excel spreadsheet here )
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Candidates may apply prior to obtaining their master’s degree, but cannot begin before having received it.
DTU PhD Scholarship Application Deadline 2013
Technical University of denmark PhD Scholarship Application Deadline is 8th October, 2013.