Fulbright-Nehru Doctoral and Professional Research Fellowships, IndiaScholarships »
Fulbright-Nehru Doctoral and Professional Research Fellowships, India
The Fulbright-Nehru Doctoral Research Fellowships are designed for Indian scholars who are registered for a Ph.D. at an Indian institution. These fellowships are for six to nine months.
Applications are invited in the following fields only
Agricultural Sciences; Bioengineering; Computer Science ( with emphasis on cyber security and digital economy ); Economics; Education Policy and Planning; Energy Studies; International Law; International Security and Strategic Studies; Materials Science ( with emphasis on environmental applications ); Neurosciences; Public Policy; Public Health; Study of India ( limited to anthropology, history, sociology, and visual and performing arts ); Study of the United States ( limited to anthropology, history, sociology, and visual and performing arts ); Urban and Regional Planning ( with emphasis on smart cities and waste management ); and Women’s and Gender Studies.
Candidate will be affiliated to one U.S. host institution for your grant. USIEF strongly recommends all applicants to identify institutions with which they wish to be affiliated and to correspond, in advance, with potential host institutions. If you have secured a letter of invitation from a U.S. institution, please include it as a part of your online application.
The fellowships provide a monthly stipend, Accident and Sickness Program for Exchanges per U.S. Government guidelines, round-trip economy class air travel, applicable allowances and modest affiliation fees, if any. Selected scholars will have opportunities to audit non-degree courses, conduct research and gain practical work experience in suitable settings in the U.S. No allowances are provided for dependents. The grant is not sufficient to support family members.
In addition to the General Prerequisites :
- Candidate should have done adequate research in the relevant field, especially in the identification of resources in India and the U.S. You should be registered for your Ph.D. at an Indian institution by 1st August, 2016. In your online application form, one of the referees must be your Ph.D. supervisor. S/he must comment on your research work and the usefulness of the fellowship, and indicates the Ph.D. registration date and topic;
- This grant is intended for Ph.D. students to conduct research essential to their dissertations / thesis. Therefore, your expected Ph.D. thesis submission date should not be earlier than three months after your Fulbright-Nehru grant end date. For example, if May 2019 is your grant end date, you cannot submit your thesis before August 2019. Please indicate the Ph.D. registration date and the expected Ph.D. thesis submission date in the Applicant Annexure. You can download the Applicant Annexure from the USIEF website;
- If you are employed, please follow the instructions carefully regarding employer’s endorsement. If applicable, please obtain the endorsement from the appropriate administrative authority on the FNDR Employer’s Endorsement Form. The employer must indicate that leave will be granted for the fellowship period. You can download the FNDR Employer’s Endorsement Form from the USIEF website; and
- Candidate should upload a ‘writing sample’ such as a copy of an article or paper published / presented or extracts from the M.Phil. thesis in your online application form.
Note : These fellowships are for pre-doctoral level research. Applicants with Ph.D. degrees or those at the final stage of Ph.D. thesis submission will not be considered.
- Applications must be submitted online at https://apply.embark.com/student/fulbright/international/20/
- Please carefully review the FNDR Applicant Instructions before starting your online application
- Please refer FNDR Applicant Checklist before submitting the application
- In addition, you must complete and upload the following documents on your online application :
The Completed application form should be submitted on or before 15th June, 2017, 23:59:59 hrs ( IST ).
|1||Application due date for 2018 - 2019 awards||15th June, 2017|
|2||Field-specific experts review applications to |
|Mid - July, 2017|
|3||National interviews of short-listed candidates |
|Late August, 2017|
|4||USIEF notifies principal and alternate nominees |
that they are recommended. Nominees take TOEFL
|Early September, 2017|
|5||USIEF forwards applications of recommended |
candidates to the U.S. for J. William Fulbright
Foreign Scholarship Board ( FFSB ) approval
|Late September, 2017|
|6||USIEF notifies finalists||March - April, 2018|
|7||Pre-Departure Orientation||May - June, 2018|
|8||Pre-academic training in the U.S. ( if required )||July - August, 2018|
|9||Program begins||August - September, 2018|
Application Form Submission 16 Dec 2020 to 16 Jan 2021.