BDK Canada Graduate Scholarship, Japan
Graduate scholarship for Canadian citizens for a year of Buddhist Studies at a Japanese University
BDK Canada Graduate Scholarship will enable advanced graduate students in Buddhist Studies who are Canadian Citizens or studying in a Canadian University to spend one year in a Japanese University, studying and/or carrying out doctoral research.
Value : $40,000 (Canadian)
BDK Canada Graduate Scholarship Eligibility and Terms :
The applicant must be a registered full-time graduate student in a Canadian university or a Canadian citizen studying as a full-time graduate student in a university outside of Canada. Visa students in degree programmes in Canadian universities may apply.
Preference will be given to advanced graduate students preparing to carry out doctoral dissertation research, but others at an early stage in their study will also be considered.
Some familiarity with Japanese language is expected but fluency is not required.
The results of the award will be announced by January 15, 2011. The term of the successful candidate’s stay in Japan will be one year, which may begin at any time between April 1, 2011 and March 2012.
The award will be paid in two installments. This amount should cover one round trip ticket to Japan and a large part of the expenses directly related to study in Japan.
1. A completed application form and three letters of reference are to be submitted to :
Dean of Graduate Studies
School of Graduate Studies
Hamilton, Ontario L8S 4K1
2. Transcripts from all university level courses are to be sent directly to the School of Graduate Studies, McMaster University
3. Three letters of reference. These confidential letters must accompany the application in separate sealed signed envelopes.
- i) One letter must be from the applicant’s supervisor.
- Another letter must be from a Japanese scholar based at the Japanese institution where the applicant proposes to study.
- Applicants from the University of British Columbia, University of Calgary, McMaster University, University of Toronto and McGill University must have a letter from the member of the Selection Committee representing his or her institution.**
Applications may be obtained from :
The Department of Religious Studies
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada L8S 4K1
or from the website http://www.religiousstudies.mcmaster.ca/
**Names of the members of the current Selection Committee may be obtained from the Department of Religious Studies, McMaster University.
Applicants requiring assistance in contacting scholars at Japanese institutions may write to a member of the Selection Committee for advice.
Application Deadline : November 1, 2010.
Application Form Submission 16 Dec 2020 to 16 Jan 2021.