Japan Society for the Promotion of Science – JSPS Fellowship 2013
JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship Program ( Short – term ) for North American and European Researchers in Japan 2013 – 2014.
JSPS Postdoctoral fellowship program helps outstanding research students from US, Canada and Europe to study in the universities and other Japanese institutions by providing a round-trip air ticket, settling – in allowance and monthly allowance. The fellowships are offered for one year research program with start dates 1 April 2013 – 31st March, 2014. Approximately 60 Fellowships will be available in session 2013 – 2014.
Study Subject (s) : All fields of the humanities, social sciences and natural sciences are included under this program.
Course Level : This fellowship is awarded to pursue postdoctoral degree level.
Scholarship Provider : Japan Society for the Promotion of Science
Scholarship can be taken at : Japan
Eligibility for JSPS Fellowship 2013 :
Applicant ( Host Researcher ) Eligibility :
- The applicant must be employed full-time or classified as being employed full – time ( excluding Jokyo, assistant professors, and Joshu, research assistants ) at a university or research institution which is eligible for funding under the Grants-in-Aid for Scientific-Research Program ( Kakenhi ) to apply to MEXT and also approved by JSPS as an appropriate institution for hosting young foreign researchers.
Candidate ( Fellow ) Eligibility :
- Applicant must be a citizen or permanent resident of an eligible country. Further applicants must hold a master’s or higher degree and then should engage in research for a period of three years at a university or research institution in an eligible country. Applicants must possess an excellent research record and must be from a country which has a diplomatic relations with Japan or from Taiwan or Palestine.
- Candidates must earned doctoral degree at a university outside Japan on or after 2 April 2007 and must be currently enrolled in a doctoral course at a university outside Japan, and planned to receive a PhD within two years from the time that their research starts in Japan.
- They must also set in advance a research plan with a host researcher in Japan.
- Note : Those who have previously been awarded a fellowship under the JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship Program for Foreign Researchers are not eligible.
JSPS Fellowship Open for International Students :
- The students of US, Canada, France, Germany, Sweden, UK, Italy, Finland, other European Union Countries ( as of 1 April 2012 ), Switzerland, Norway and Russia can apply for this scholarship.
JSPS Fellowship Description 2013 :
- This program is providing opportunities to young pre and postdoctoral researchers from the US, Canada and Europe for conducting cooperative research with leading research groups under the guidance of hosts in Japanese universities and institutions.
- For this, the program is planned in helping advance the research of the visiting fellows while augmenting opportunities for young researchers from US, Canada and Europe in Japan.
Selection Criteria for JSPS Fellowship 2013 :
- It should help advance both the candidate’s and the host’s research work.
- For considering the fellowship the host and candidate must have established close communication and devised a concrete research plan.
- The implementation of the fellowship should put in to promoting exchange between Japan and countries of North America and Europe.
- In the research plan, concern should be given to honing the research skills of pre-doctoral candidates.
- As far as possible, preference should not be given to host institution or field of specialization in making selections.
How to Apply for JSPS Fellowship 2013 :
- Applicants (host researchers) will be required to use JSPS’s web application system to apply for fellowships. Applications for this program must be submitted to JSPS by a host researcher in Japan through the head of his / her university or institution. Foreign researchers wishing to participate in this program are advised to establish contact with a Japanese or foreign – resident researcher in their field and to ask him / her to submit an application. They should make this contact well in advance of the host institution’s application periods indicated below. Application process is as follows :
- Contact made between candidate and applicant (host researcher).
- Applicant (host researcher) submits application to institution’s head office
- Office submits application to JSPS
- Note 1 : JSPS does not find or introduce host researchers.
- Note 2 : JSPS does not accept applications submitted directly by foreign researchers or through diplomatic channels.
JSPS Fellowship Application Deadline :
- The deadline is 5 – 12 October, 2012 for fellowship starts April, 2013 thru March, 2014, 16 – 22 November, 2012 for fellowship starts April, 2013 thru March, 2014, 28 January, 2013 – 1 to February, 2013 for fellowship starts June, 2013 thru March, 2014; 1 – 5 April, 2013 to August, 2013 for fellowship starts thru March, 2014, 2 – 10 May, 2013 to September, 2013 for fellowships starts thru March, 2014; 29 July, -2 August, to 2013 December, 2013 for fellowships starts thru March, 2014.
- Note : These deadlines are for the head of the host institution to submit the application to JSPS; the time frames for applicants ( host researchers ) to submit their applications are normally earlier.
Application Form Submission 16 Dec 2020 to 16 Jan 2021.