National Board for Higher Mathematics – NBHM PhD Scholarships 2019
NBHM PhD Scholarships 2019
The National Board for Higher Mathematics (NBHM) invites applications to appear for the joint screening test for (i) the grant of NBHM scholarships to students for pursuing research for a Ph.D. degree in mathematics and (ii) admissions to the Ph.D./Integrated Ph.D. programmes of certain institutions in India which include the Harish-Chandra Research Institute (HRI), Allahabad, the Indian Institute of Science Education and Research (IISER), Pune, and the Institute of Mathematical Sciences (IMSc), Chennai.
NBHM PhD Scholarships 2019 Eligibility
- Applicants for the NBHM PhD scholarship must be mathematically motivated and hold a masters degree in (pure or applied) mathematics or statistics or must be final year students of these degree courses. They must have a good academic record ( first class or equivalent grade in all years from Plus Two level to the present. Students having passed a B.Sc.(Honours) course with a second class may also apply, provided they have a masters degree or are in the final year of the same.
- Students holding a four-year B.S. (or equivalent) degree, or those in the final year of such a programme, may also apply, but they are eligible to receive the NBHM scholarship only if they secure admission to a recognized Ph.D. programme by August 2019.
- Students who wish to apply for the Ph.D./Integrated Ph.D. programmes of HRI, IISER, Pune, or IMSc must apply and appear for the written test. For this purpose, apart from the students mentioned earlier, students holding a B.Sc./B. Stat/B.S./B.Tech./B.E. degree, or those in the final year of such degree courses, with a consistently good academic record from Plus Two level as mentioned above may also apply. (For more details, visit www.hri.res.in, www.iiserpune.ac.in and www.imsc.res.in.) Students for these doctoral programs need not apply separately to these institutions again.
- Eligibility to receive the NBHM Ph.D. scholarship is restricted to students who have completed their B.S./M.A./M.Sc. (or equivalent) degree and have secured admission to a recognized Ph.D. programme on or before 1st August, 2019.
NBHM PhD Scholarships 2019 Amount
Successful candidates will receive a scholarship amount of [rupee] 25,000/- ( Rupees Twenty- five Thousand Only) per month for the first and second year and [rupee] 28,000/- (Rupees Twenty-eight Thousand Only) per month for subsequent years, a contingency grant of [rupee] 32,000/- (Rupees Thirty-two Thou-sand Only) per year and house rent allowance as per central government norms wherever applicable. The scholarships are normally for a period of four years, sanctioned for one year at a time and renewable at the end of each year, subject to satisfactory progress. The enhanced amount of scholarship may be offered after evaluation by the Board at the end of the second year. If deemed fit, the scholarship may be extended for a fifth year at the discretion of NBHM.
To avail of the NBHM scholarship, successful students must enroll them-selves in a recognized Ph.D. degree programme. The scholarship will be paid through the institution they join. Part-time research students cannot avail of the scholarship.
NBHM PhD Scholarships 2019 Selection Procedure
- Candidates must appear for a written test which will feature questions based on topics normally covered in masters degree programmes in mathematics.
- The test will be of 150 minutes duration and will involve questions with short answers.
- Question papers of some earlier years will be available on the NBHM website : www.nbhm.dae.gov.in.
- Based on the performance in the written test, candidates will be short-listed for interview before final selection.
- The date of the written test is 23rd January, 2019 ( Saturday ).
NBHM PhD Scholarships 2019 Centres
The written test will be conducted at the following centres, divided into five separate zones
- Zone 1 : Chandigarh, New Delhi, Srinagar
- Zone 2 : Allahabad, Indore, Jabalpur, Raipur
- Zone 3 : Goa, Mumbai, Pune, Vallabh Vidyanagar
- Zone 4 : Bhubaneswar, Guwahati, Kolkata, Ranchi, Shillong
- Zone 5 : Bangalore, Chennai, Cochin, Hyderabad.
How to apply for NBHM PhD Scholarships 2019
Applications should be made on plain paper in the format given by the NBHM and should be sent along with a recent passport sized photograph and a self-addressed envelope affixed with a [rupee] 5/- postage stamp to the address as given below for the appropriate zone in which the candidate wishes to appear for the written test. The envelope containing the application should be super scribed, NBHM PhD Scholarship.
Applications should not be sent to the NBHM office. Names of two centres from the respective zone must be clearly indicated, giving the order of preference.
The following are the addresses of zonal coordinators for sending completed applications :
- Zone 1 ( Prof Gurmeet Kaur Bakshi, Dept of Mathematics, Punjab University, Hans Raj Gupta Hall, Chandigarh – 160014. Email : email@example.com ).
- Zone 2 ( Dr Kalyan Chakraborty, Harish – Chandra Research Institute, Chhatnag Road, Jhusi, Allahabad – 211019. Email : firstname.lastname@example.org ).
- Zone 3 ( Prof Siddhartha Bhattacharya, School of Mathematics, Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Homi Bhabha Road, Colaba, Mumbai – 400005. Email : email@example.com ).
- Zone 4 ( Prof Amites Dasgupta, Stat – Math Unit, Indian Statistical Institute, 203, BT Road, Kolkata-700108. Email : firstname.lastname@example.org ).
- Zone 5 ( Prof S Kesavan, Institute of Mathematical Sciences, CIT Campus, Taramani, Chennai – 600113. Email : email@example.com ).
NBHM PhD Scholarships Hall Ticket 2019
A communication calling the applicant for the written test (hall ticket), together with the allotment of centre, will be sent so as to reach candidates by Monday, 4th January, 2019.
In the event of an eligible applicant not receiving a communication regarding the test by that date, (s)he should contact the zonal coordinator to whom the application was sent to find out the status of the application and for appropriate remedial measures.
NBHM PhD Scholarships 2019 Important Dates
- The last date for the receipt of completed NBHM Scholarship applications is : 7th December, 2018.
- Applicant should contact zonal coordinator if hall ticket is not received by this date : 4th January, 2019
- Applicant should contact centre-in-charge suggested by zonal coordinator if hall ticket is not received by this date : 18th January, 2019.
- Date of written test for NBHM Scholarships : 23rd January, 2019.