Michael Baldwin Memorial Scholarship for South Pacific Nations, New Zealand
Michael Baldwin was a staff member at The University of Waikato at the time of his death in 2003. He had taught for a number of years in Papua New Guinea – at the institute currently known as the University of Goroka – before his appointment to the Centre for Foundation Studies at The University of Waikato.
The Michael Baldwin Memorial Scholarship commemorates Michael’ s commitment to teaching and to assisting others in their educational endeavours, and was made possible through the generosity of the Baldwin family.
Michael Baldwin Memorial Scholarship Eligibility
To be eligible, candidates must :
- be citizens of any South Pacific nation ( citizens of New Zealand or Australia are not eligible to apply )
- be either enrolled or intending to enrol in an approved full-time programme of study at the University of Waikato in the year of tenure of the Scholarship
- applications are particularly encouraged from students who are citizens of Papua New Guinea.
Value : The value of the Scholarship will be up to $10,000.
Michael Baldwin Memorial Scholarship Application
The closing date for applications is 15 August.
Along with completing the online application form, each candidate must submit:
- a personal statement;
- explaining the candidate’s plans to contribute to development / society in the South Pacific in the future
- outlining the need for financial support
- details of any funding sources, additional to this scholarship, that are available to support the candidate’s travel to, and studies in, New Zealand
- two references: an academic reference ( attesting to the candidate’s likely academic progress at University ), and a character reference
- proof of citizenship and
- verified copies of academic transcripts ( including grading scale ) from any other tertiary institution(s) you have attended
Michael Baldwin Memorial Scholarship Selection Criteria
The Scholarship will be offered on the information provided in the documents requested above.
- preference may be given to candidates who can demonstrate a need for financial support in order to undertake tertiary study
- there is no restriction on the field of study but preference may be given to candidates who are enrolled in a teacher education programme
Application Deadline : 30 August.
Application Form Submission 16 Dec 2020 to 16 Jan 2021.