Nominations are invited for the ‘Ramanujan Fellowships’ recently instituted by the Government of India. The fellowship is meant for brilliant scientists and engineers from all over the world to take up scientific research positions in India, especially those scientists who want to return to India from abroad. The fellowships are scientist-specific and very selective.
The Ramanujan Fellows could work in any of the scientific institutions and universities in the country and they would be eligible for receiving regular research grants through the extramural funding schemes of various S&T agencies of the Government of India.
Scope of Ramanujan Fellowships :
All areas of science (in the broadest terms) will be covered by this fellowship.
Eligibility for Ramanujan Fellowships
- The fellowship is open to brilliant scientists and engineers from all over the world who are below the age of 60 years.
- The applicant should possess a higher degree or equivalent, such as Ph.D. in Science/Engineering, Masters in Engineering or Technology/MD in Medicine, etc. and have adequate professional experience.
- These Fellowships are very selective and only those who have a proven/outstanding tract-record as evident from their research publications and recognitions would be eligible.
- The candidate has to opt for either this fellowship or his present position/fellowship, if any.
Duration for Ramanujan Fellowships :
The duration of the fellowship will be initially for five years.
NATURE OF SUPPORT :
- The value of the fellowship will be Rs. 75,000/- per month.
- Each Fellow will, in addition, receive a contingency of Rs. 5.00 lakh per annum for conferences and other expenses.
- The Ramanujan Fellows will be eligible for receiving regular research grants through the extramural funding schemes of various S&T agencies of the Government of India.
METHODOLOGY FOR SELECTION
- The scientists can choose to work at any S&T institution including University Departments or other academic Institutions and National Laboratories in India, provided the Institution at which they wish to pursue research is willing to provide the necessary R&D, administrative and basic infrastructural support to facilitate research.
- The availability of Ramanujan Fellowships will be advertised by various academic and research Institutions on their websites in order to receive applications from interested scientists and technologists.
- The Institutions will subsequently submit their recommended nominations to the Department of Science & Technology. Institutions may consider setting up appropriate mechanisms to scrutinize and recommend the nominations.
- Individual scientists and technologists can also approach the institutions for hosting them for the Fellowship and forwarding their nominations to DST for the Fellowship.
- Selection of Ramanujan Fellows will be made periodically by an empowered Search-cum-Selection Committee specially appointed for the purpose.
- The nominations of scientists and technologists by the Institutions would be received throughout the year.
There is, thus, no last date for this scheme.
All nominations(original plus 4 photocopies)
may be sent to :
S S Kohli
Department of Science & Technology
Technology Bhavan, New Mehrauli Road
New Delhi 110 016.
Email :- firstname.lastname@example.org
Telephone : 011-26590499
This advertisement is also available on the Internet at http://www.dst.gov.in