Sitaram Jindal Research Fellowship 2013
Jindal Aluminium Ltd and Sitaram Jindal Foundation are consistently engaged in the field of Charitable and philanthropic activities in India since 1969, in furtherance to their said endeavour and sublime approach for the benefit of the general masses, have instituted the ‘Sitaram Jindal Research Fellowship Scheme’ to encourage and inspire the talent and recognize excellence in innovation and research.
SJ Foundation would manage the Research Fellowship Scheme on behalf of JAL.
Sitaram Jindal Research Fellowship Description
Upto 1 lakh per month
a) The amount of Fellowship per month would depend upon whether the scholar is gainfully employed and is getting salary for his current employment in a Research Organisation or is getting only this fellowship.
The Fellowship amount would also depend on the following
- Qualifications and Experience of the Candidate.
- Proven Track Record as evident from the innovations done in the past, Quality of Publications and Recognitions.
- Relevance and Importance of the Research Topic for the common man.
b) In addition, the Research Fellow will also get a Contingency grant of a maximum of 10 lakhs per year, the quantum of which will also depend upon the need of such contingency funding. The contingency grant will take care of the actual contingent expenditure incurred in pursuance of the ‘Research and Innovation’ work. This amount can be used for the following.
- For acquisition of Books, Documents of relevance to the project as approved by the Head of Department / Host Institution.
- To meet petty expenses for the purchase of chemicals, reagents, stationery, postage, Registration fee for attending work shops / conferences.
- For travel expenses including one foreign travel / foreign attachment during the entire research project period. The approval for foreign travel / foreign attachment will be given by SJ Foundation on the recommendation of the Host Institution.
Contingent grant cannot be used on furniture, office equipments including Computers, laptops etc. The use of contingency grant will be governed by detailed guidelines from SJ Foundation.
The Fellowship will be sanctioned to the individual(s) who are either attached or are going to be attached to the Institutions which have the infrastructure facilities for the type of research work to be undertaken, besides guidance and supervision of the Fellow doing the Research. A certificate to this effect has to be obtained by the applicant from the Host Institution which should be submitted with his application to SJ Foundation. The application should be sent through the Host Institution duly recommended by the Head of the Dept.
c) The Host Institution will get 4 lakhs per year per Research Fellow as over head expenditure and for monitoring, supervising and controlling the fellow and the expenditure of funds to ensure that the funds are properly utilised and are not misused and to avoid extravagance.
Eligibility Criteria for Sitaram Jindal Research Fellowship
1. Open to all Indians living in India or abroad. The Research work should be conducted in India. Persons of Indian origin who have acquired foreign nationality are not eligible.
2. Should have PhD or MD / MS in Medicine or M Tech or equivalent, in the relevant field.
3. The subject of research should be absolutely non-controversial having no alignment towards or against a particular sect or religion or with any intent to propagate a particular ideology or concept directed to develop any religious, caste or communal feelings in the society.
4. The topic of study / research should be beneficial to the general populace of the country particularly to the under privileged and vulnerable groups.
5. The candidate should have proven high calibre academic and research track record as evident from the quality of publications, recognitions and intellectual property rights obtained.
6. a) The research fellows, who are employed by the Host Institution, should devote at least 50% of their time on research under this fellowship scheme.
b) All the other research fellows who are not employed by the Host Institution should carry out research continuously on full time basis under this fellowship scheme.
7. The candidate should not accept any other fellowship / scholarship or stipend except with the prior permission of SJ Foundation. The candidate may continue to get the salary, as permitted by SJ Foundation, from the institution where he is employed and where the research is being conducted.
8. The research fellow who is employed by the Host institution and is drawing salary from it,
should get a “No Objection” letter from the institution stating that the institution has no objection to their employee undertaking research under this Fellowship Scheme.
9. The proposed research work should be original. JAL / SJF will be immune and will stand indemnified in case of any legal infringement of copyright, patent and trademark and / or any other legal infringement committed by the candidate.
10. Preference will be given to ‘Innovative Research’ leading to tangible outcomes.
Sitaram Jindal Research Fellowship Selection Procedure
The selection process will be on a 3 tier system controlled by JAL / SJ Foundation.
i) All proposals received will be acknowledged by email.
ii) The secretariat of the SJ Foundation may forward any or all cases to one or more referees identifying the points on which their comments are required.
iii) The referees will examine the proposal so received and offer the recommendations / findings on the suitability or otherwise of the proposal and will send it back to the SJ Foundation Secretariat. The referees and the secretariat may seek any information / clarifications from the applicant, head of dept. or the host institution or any other person deemed fit.
iv) The secretariat will forward a synopsis of the proposals and the recommendations / findings received from the referees to the members of the Selection Committee. The Selection Committee will recommend whether the case is fit to be granted Fellowship and also recommend the fellowship amount per month and the contingency fund for the research work.
v) The referees will be paid a suitable honorarium.
vi) The synopsis of the cases approved by the Selection Committee along with a list of rejected cases with reasons shall be forwarded to SJ Foundation for final approval along with the quantum of fellowship per month and the contingency fund per year during the currency of the fellowship.
vii) Mere application / correspondence with the host Institution / Selection Committee does not necessarily mean or imply that the individual shall be selected for the fellowship.
viii) The decision on the selection or otherwise of research proposal would be sent to the Host Institution and the candidate by email. The secretariat will also send four copies of MOU duly signed to the Host Institution for getting the signatures of the research fellow and the competent authority of the Host Institution. The Host Institution will return two copies signed by all to SJ Foundation Secretariat.
ix) The selection process shall be carried out throughout the year. There is no last date. The Selection Committee shall meet as often as necessary.
x) The Selection Committee may call the candidate for a personal interview for which the candidate will be paid AC – 3 Tier return train fare from their place of residence. The referees may also be invited to attend the personal interview if considered necessary by the Selection Committee.
xi) The selection will be based on the scrutiny of academic / research achievements and documentary evidence and the importance / relevance of the research work to be carried out, the expected outcomes and the performance of the candidate in the interview, if conducted. Proven track record of high calibre as revealed by the academic performance and publications / recognitions and the relevance of the research topic would broadly guide the Selection Committee in taking their decision.
xii) The criteria for selection for fellowship is :
- The quality of candidate’s work and the extent of creativity and promise shown.
- The sense that the fellowship would make a difference.
- The importance of the Research work for the benefit of the society.
xiii) The number of candidates to be selected for the fellowship may vary from year to year. The number in the first year would be 20. The number of fellowships can be revised by JAL / SJ Foundation at any time depending upon the availability of funds.