UGC Raman Fellowship for Indian Scholars in USA 2015
UGC Raman Post Doctoral Fellowship for the year 2015 – 2015 to be awarded by University Grants Commission, India for the young Indian scholars is to provide them an opportunity to have international collaborative research opportunities, training in advanced techniques and technologies in emerging fields, thereby furthering their research capacity and ability to contribute to higher education with global perspective and forging long – term relationships with distinguished experts in these fields in USA.
Number of UGC Raman Fellowships 2015 : 300 ( Three Hundred )
UGC Raman Fellowships 2015 Eligibility
- The applicant should be a permanent teacher in a university / institution recognized by UGC under 2(f) and 12B of UGC Act.
- The applicant should possess at least 60 percent marks or equivalent in the post – graduate degree.
- The applicant should possess a Ph.D. degree in respective academic discipline ( Humanities, Social Sciences, Natural Science, Engineering, Technology, Agricultural Sciences ) or MD / MS / Ph.D. in Medical Sciences.
- The Applicant must provide proof of having carried out independent research work published in peer reviewed journals preferably indexed.
- 40 years for General category and 45 years for OBC (Non-Creamy Layer), SC, ST, Women & Physically Handicapped (as on 01st June, 2015).
- The reservation will be available in accordance with the national norms.
Area of Work
Proposal should aim to address one of the following challenges :
- Energy, especially renewable energy,
- Environment, especially climate change,
- Health, especially public health,
- Food security,
- Information security,
- Urban Planning and Development.
In the first three categories, proposals pertaining to any aspect of the broad area will be entertained but those pertaining to the specific areas like renewable energy, climate change and public health will be given higher priority.
Place of Work
The nominee should have been accepted by a US university / scientific / technological / research institution, which is internationally recognized as an outstanding institution where major work in the area of study identified by the nominee is in progress. There should be willingness on the part of the American institution to accept and extend necessary support to the candidate for the work proposed. No bench fee will be charged by host institution in US.
The candidate should himself / herself correspond with the proposed host institution of US for placement. Candidate is required to produce evidence for this minimally, in the form of electronic communication, with the US institution to be visited along with merits / uniqueness of that host institute in the proposed area which satisfies the selection panel about the acceptance of the candidate if he / she is selected.
Amount of UGC Raman Fellowships
“The Fellow will be entitled to fellowship amount of US $ 3000 per month.” The minimum period of the fellowship would be 6 months and maximum period of fellowship would be 12 months.
“Fellow will also be entitled to a one time personal contingency grant of upto a maximum of 50,000 to cover for visa, airport transfer, medical insurance etc. Medical insurance expenses, visa fee, airport transfer charges will be met by the fellow from out of this personal contingency grant.”
Fellow will also be permitted to travel within USA to attend conferences or visit other institutes of interest with the approval of the advisor at the host institute. The Fellow will be entitled to avail one of the following grants for this purpose.
- Grant of $ 600 for fellowship period upto 6 months.
- Grant of $ 1200 for fellowship period beyond 6 months.
Air – tickets for all the selected Fellow would be purchased by the respective university / institution by economy class for shortest route from their place of work in India to the place of the American host institute and back. The actual ticket amount would be reimbursed by UGC to the institution for the same on submission of all relevant documents duly certified by the competent authority of the institution.
Rules governing payment of salary, leave, medical, gratuity, GPF and pension etc. of the organization / institution / university to which the fellow belongs would continue to be applicable. No liability on any of these accounts will be borne by UGC.
The candidate selected for the award for this fellowship should commence their research within six month period from the date of award announcement. Failure to do so would render the fellow to forfeit the award.
UGC Raman Fellowships Selection Procedure 2015
Selection will be a two-step process :
- Short-listing of the candidates
- Personal interview of the short-listed candidates
UGC Raman Fellowships Application Procedure 2015
Application in the prescribed format may be submitted only through online mode latest by 31st July, 2015 by logging into website www.ugc.ac.in/ramanpdf.
The submitted online application form can be downloaded, printed and sent to the following address along with relevant documents, duly forwarded by head of the institution latest by 07th August, 2015.
Room No. 508A,
University Grants Commission,
Bahadur Shah Zafar Marg,
New Delhi-110 002 (India).
Phone No : 011 23604519
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last date for submission of application is 31st July, 2015