Malta Government Arts Scholarships 2017
Art is the pulse and soul of a vibrantly progressive nation. An energised, growing and sustainable arts community, which spans all art forms and delivers quality outcomes, will sustain an even more demanding leisure industry and is vital to ensure the future cultural, social, intellectual and economic wellbeing of Malta while in the same time preserving and promoting our immense artistic and cultural heritage which spans millennia.
The Malta Arts Scholarships Scheme aims at providing more opportunities to support individuals who are exceptionally talented in the creation and/or promotion of professional in the Expressive arts. Theatre, music, dance, design, creative writing, film, the visual arts or any combination thereof shall be given priority.
Eligibility for Government of Malta Scholarships 2017
- Be a Maltese citizen who has been residing in Malta for the past five (5) years.
- Provided that a Maltese citizen who has been residing outside Malta for study, health or work purposes or any other purpose which the ASSB may consider, will still be eligible to apply and this period of time during which the citizen was abroad will not be taken into consideration for the purpose of calculating the five (5) year requirement. or
- be a Maltese Citizen who is a worker or self-employed person in Malta, or
- be a national of an EU/EEA state or a family member of such EU/EEA national ( as defined in LN 191 of 2007 and in LN 205 of 2004 respectively for EU and EEA nationals), provided that such person has obtained permanent residence in Malta in accordance with LN 191 of 2007 and in LN 205 of 2004 respectively for EU and EEA nationals, or
- be a national of an EU/EEA state who is in Malta exercising his/her Treaty rights as a worker, self-employed person or person retaining such status in accordance with LN 191 of 2007; or
- be a third country national who has been granted long-term residence status in Malta under regulation 4 of the “Status of Long-Term Residents (Third Country Nationals) Regulations 2006” or who have been granted a residence permit under regulation 18(3) thereof, together with family members if such third country nationals who have been granted a residence permit under the “Family Reunification Regulations, 2007”; or
- Be applying for a new course / training programme starting throughout 2017 of not less than 9 months or for a programme of study leading to MQF Level 5, or MQF Level 6 or MQF Level 7 or MQF Level 8; or
- Be already in a programme of studies at MQF Level 5, or MQF Level 6 or MQF Level 7, or MQF Level 8 BUT the End date of studies is in 2018 or after. In such case, the Applicant is eligible for funding for the remaining years commencing from the date of publication of rankings. The Applicant is still obliged to submit a ULA as per Clause 2.42.
- Professional programmes may also be considered.
Malta Government Scholarship Application Form 2017
Applicants with exceptional talent in the field of the arts (as identified in Clause 1.2 and 3.3) are invited to apply using the appropriate online Electronic Application on www.myscholarship.gov.mt. Applicants are advised to us the Google Chrome web browser. It is the responsibility of the Applicant to ensure that the Application is successfully submitted, to keep a printed copy of the Application Form and to print a copy of the electronically generated acknowledgement. This shall be the Applicant’s proof that an Application is submitted successfully online.
Documents to be uploaded with the online Application shall include the following
- One (1) copy of the applicant’s identity card – both sides;
- One (1) copy of the applicant’s University/College transcripts (where applicable);
- One (1) copy of the letter of Unconditional Letter of Acceptance from the Recognised Institution applied for (if available at the time of application);
- One (1) copy of MQRIC evaluation report;
- One (1) copy of a personal profile report as per sample attached with the Application Form.
- Any other documentation which may assist the ASSB to assess better the Applicant’s artistic merit.
- Signed Declaration by the legal custodian if Applicant is under the age of 18 on 7th March, 2017.
Supporting documents not uploaded with the online application are required to arrive at the
Scholarships Unit – Programme Implementation Directorate
Room 131, Education Buildings,
Great Siege Road
Floriana. VLT 2000.
The application deadline is Friday, 7th April, 2017 at noon (Local time). All supporting documents mentioned in Article 7 of these Regulations are required to arrive by this date and time at the address specified above. If sent by post, it is important that such documents be sent through registered post. The ASSB shall NOT be held responsible if documents sent by post arrive late.
Malta Government Scholarship Selection Criteria 2017
Applications are considered on the basis of the following selection criteria
- Artistic merit of the applicant.
- The personal goals in the field of the arts
- The likely impact on the development of the Arts, and the Cultural and Creative Industries in Malta; and
- The reputation of the Institution selected by the applicant.
- Academic Merit
Eligible Applicants will be called for an interview and an audition as required. It is the responsibility of the Applicant to make sure to be available on the date and time communicated to her/him for the interview. No alternative arrangements shall be made to change the date and time of the interview, unless there is an exceptional circumstance (supported by written proof) that warrants the change in such date and time. The aforementioned exceptional circumstances shall be examined and such alternative date and time may be agreed to by the ASSB, at its discretion.
Those applicants not attending for the interview / audition without any previous written notice communicated to the Scholarship Administrator, the board shall consider their absence as if that they are no longer interested in their application for an Art scholarship.
Applicants for Art & Design related can produce work from direct observation (hands-on) in the form of a Short pose in Life Drawing, as part of the interview
- Auditions are not possible to be taken via SKYPE (The applicant has to be physically present at the designated premises).
In the case of Applicants who are unable to attend to the given date and time for the interview due to being abroad, such interviews may take place via SKYPE only at the given date and time. It is the Applicant who has to ensure that the video and audio link, on his/her end, is adequate to ensure a proper interview throughout. The Board cannot assume any responsibility if the connection fails to offer an adequate link for a proper uninterrupted interview.
The ASSB reserves the right to publish the names and ID Card Numbers of applicants who obtain a mark which is 50% or more of the global mark. The names and ID Card Numbers may be published on the main notice board, websites and publications of the Programme Implementation Directorate – Ministry for Education and Employment. In applying for an award, the Applicant gives consent for such publication in the event that the Applicant obtains such a mark. For the avoidance of doubt, upon submitting the application, the Applicant shall be deemed to have given his consent in relation to the publishing of his/herpersonal information, in terms of the Data Protection Act.
It is the practice that when an Applicant fails to obtain a mark which is less than 50% of the global mark, only the ID Card number of the Applicant is published.An Applicant who obtains a pass mark from the interview does not automatically mean that the Applicant is awarded a scholarship.
The Arts Scholarship Fund shall be divided into two categories. One category shall be reserved for Applicants following Programmes of Studies leading to MQF Level 7 or above and the other category shall be reserved for Applicants who propose to follow Programmes of Study which do not exceed MQF Level 6. Programmes of Studies approved by ACM as per Clause 2.5 shall fall within the latter category. During the selection process, the ASSB may shift any unutilised funds from one category to the other.
Application Form Submission 16 Dec 2020 to 16 Jan 2021.