AASLD LIFER Clinical Translational Research Fellowship Liver Diseases AwardScholarships »
AASLD / LIFER Clinical and Translational Research Fellowship in Liver Diseases Award
The purpose of this award is to foster career development for fellows performing clinical research and/or translational research in a liver-related area and who have shown commitment to excellence at an early stage of their research study. The award is intended to ensure that a significant portion of the investigators’ time is protected for research, with an overall objective of enabling the investigators to develop independent and productive research careers in liver disease.
AASLD LIFER Clinical Translational Research Fellowship Eligibility
- Applicant must be a postdoctoral or clinical research fellow who has completed their most recent doctoral degree or medical residency within the past five (5) years at the start of the grant term ( July 1, 2018 ).
- Applicants from North America must be working at an academic, medical, or research institution at the time of application and for the duration of the award.
- Applicants from outside of North America must have already been accepted into a fellowship position at a North American education institution at the time of application and for the duration of the award. The North American fellowship position must start no later than the award start date ( July 1, 2018 ) and end no earlier than the award end date ( June 30, 2020 ). International applicants must have a student or trainee Visa to the country where the fellowship will occur.
- The applicant must be a member of the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases ( AASLD ) at the time of award application and maintain active membership for the duration of the award period.
- The applicant must have a mentor at the North American institution who is an AASLD member in good standing for the duration of the award.
- Project is clinical or translational. “Clinical Research” is defined as studies related to patients or disease processes having direct contact between the principal investigator and humans. Clinical research includes epidemiology and clinical trials in liver disease. “Translational Research” is defined as clinical research with a substantial component of laboratory investigation using blood or tissue specimens from patients with liver disease.
- Funded projects must be completed at the North American institution.
- At least 80 percent effort should be devoted to research activities related to the award.
- Applicant does not hold other similar research awards.
- Applicant may only apply for one (1) AASLD Foundation ( AASLDF ) award per year.
One award of $100,000 will be provided over two years ( $50,000 per year. ) Funds may only be used for salary support or technical support/laboratory supplies ( excluding capital equipment ) for the recipient. No indirect costs are provided. It is expected that additional funds are available to the candidate in order to carry out the proposed research.
Awards cannot be transferred to another institution without prior written approval from the AASLD Foundation.
Progress / Financial Reports
Scientific progress and financial reports must be sent to the AASLD Foundation at the end of the first award year and within 60 days of completion of the award. Funding of the second year of the award is contingent upon receipt of reports.
The Liver Meeting®
The award recipient is strongly encouraged to both attend and present their work at The Liver Meeting®. Recipients must acknowledge the award in all publications ( abstracts, manuscripts, or other documents ) resulting from research performed during the tenure of this award.
AASLD LIFER Clinical Translational Research Fellowship Selection Criteria
Candidates will be evaluated based upon their background, their commitment to a research career, the strength of their research project and the environment in which they will conduct this project. Preference and priority will be given to international applicants.
Applications will be reviewed based on the written materials submitted. Incomplete applications and applications that fail to adhere strictly to the instructions (including the submission deadline and page limitations) will not be reviewed. All decisions are final.
AASLD LIFER Clinical Translational Research Fellowship Application Process
Submit your application at www.liverresearchawards.org. You will be sent an email confirmation that the PDF was received. If an email confirmation is not received in 2 business days, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm receipt. Applications will be accepted online starting on September 1, 2017. You will be sent an email confirmation that the PDF was received. If an email confirmation is not received in 2 business days, contact email@example.com(link sends e-mail) to confirm receipt.
To prepare your application
- Download the application [PDF]
- Use the forms provided in the application package as cover pages. Print or type responses.
- Include only the required documents and provide signatures as requested.
- Put your name ( last name, first name ) and the name of the award in the upper right-hand corner of each page.
- Use half-inch margins. Do not use lettering smaller than 10 point.
- Assemble the application package in the order listed in the Required Documents section of this application.
- Adhere to page limits and complete all sections.
- The completed application, letters of support or commitment, and other documents as applicable must be combined into and submitted as one PDF document. Name the PDF file as follows: 2018 LIFER – Last name, First Name ( Example: 2018 LIFER – Smith, Jane )
AASLD LIFER Clinical Translational Research Fellowship Application Deadline
- Application Deadline : 1st December, 2017
- Award Period : 1st July, 2018 – 30th June, 2020
American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases
1001 North Fairfax Street, Suite 40
Alexandria, Virginia 22314
Phone No : 703-299-9766
Website : www.liverresearchawards.org