American Council of Learned Societies – ACLS Scholarships
ACLS continues to be the leading private institution supporting scholars in the humanities and related African Humanities Program ellows and grantees in all programs are selected by committees of scholars appointed for this purpose.
The American Council of Learned Societies (ACLS), with financial support from the Carnegie Corporation of New York, announces competitions for:
- Dissertation-completion fellowships in Ghana, Nigeria, Tanzania, and Uganda
- Early-career postdoctoral fellowships in Ghana, Nigeria, Tanzania, Uganda, and South Africa
ACLS Scholarships Eligibility
- Applicants must be nationals and residents of a country in sub-Saharan Africa, with a current affiliation at an institution in Ghana, Nigeria, South Africa, Tanzania, or Uganda.
- Funding is available for dissertation completion and for postdoctoral research and writing.
- Applicants for Dissertation-Completion Fellowships should be in the final year of writing the dissertation at a university in Ghana, Nigeria, Tanzania, or Uganda.
- Dissertation-Completion Fellowships are not available in South Africa.
Stipends are $12,000 for dissertation-completion Fellows and $19,000 for postdoctoral Fellows, plus an additional $1,000 per Fellow for books and media at both award levels. Fellowships release recipients from teaching and other duties for an academic year to permit full-time research and writing. ( They may be used to “buy time.” ) Recipients of both kinds of fellowship are also eligible for further support in the form of a residency at a participating research center in Africa for a sustained period of writing. Approximately forty fellowships will be awarded annually in all five countries combined. Awards will be decided by an international committee of distinguished scholars in the humanities.
ACLS Scholarships Application Form
- Applicants for Early Career Postdoctoral Fellowships must be working in Ghana, Nigeria, South Africa, Tanzania, or Uganda and must have completed the PhD no more than eight years ago.
- Projects must be in the humanities and must be carried out in sub-Saharan Africa. AHP fellowships may not be used for travel outside the continent.
- Application forms and instructions for the 2017-2018 competition are available at www.acls.org/programs/ahp or may be requested by email at email@example.com
ACLS Scholarships Date
- Completed applications must be submitted by 2nd November, 2017.
American Council of Learned Societies
633 Third Avenue, New york, NY 10017-6706
Telephone No : 212-697-1505
Website : http://www.acls.org/