Charles A. Ryskamp Research Fellowships
ACLS invites applications for the Charles A. Ryskamp Research Fellowships, generously funded by The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation in memory of Charles A. Ryskamp, literary scholar, distinguished library and museum director, and long-serving trustee of the Foundation. These fellowships support advanced assistant professors and untenured associate professors in the humanities and related social sciences whose scholarly contributions have advanced their fields and who have well-designed and carefully developed plans for new research. The fellowships are intended to provide time and resources to enable these faculty members to conduct their research under optimal conditions. The ultimate goal of the project should be a major piece of scholarly work by the applicant. ACLS does not fund creative work (e.g., novels or films), textbooks, straightforward translation, or pedagogical projects.
Ryskamp Fellowships are intended to support an academic year of research (nine months), plus an additional summer’s research (two months) if justified. Fellows have three years from July 1, 2015 to use the fellowship funds, and considerable flexibility in structuring their research time: the nine-month period may be taken as one continuous leave, or divided into two single-semester leaves; the two months of summer research may be taken before, after, or between the semesters of the year’s leave. Fellows are encouraged to spend substantial periods of their leaves in residential interdisciplinary centers, research libraries, or other scholarly archives in the United States or abroad. If personal circumstances preclude extended absence from their home campuses, applicants need to demonstrate that they will be released from all academic and administrative responsibilities, and that continual residence at home will successfully advance their projects in other ways—through access to particular colleagues, for example, or to valuable research collections.
ACLS will award up to 12 Ryskamp Fellowships in the 2014-15 competition. Each fellowship carries a stipend of $64,000, a fund of $2,500 for research and travel, and an additional 2/9 of the stipend ($14,222) for one summer’s support, if justified by a persuasive case
- Amount : $64,000, plus $2,500 for research and travel, and the possibility of an additional summer’s support
- Tenure : one academic year, plus one summer if justified by a persuasive case.
Charles A. Ryskamp Research Fellowships Eligibility
The Ryskamp Fellowship Program is open to tenure-track assistant professors and untenured associate professors who:
- by September 24, 2014 will have successfully completed their institution’s last reappointment review before tenure review, (2) and
- whose tenure review will not be complete before February 1, 2015.
Applicants must hold the PhD (or equivalent) and be employed in tenure-track positions (3) at degree-granting academic institutions in the United States, remaining so for the duration of the fellowship. U.S. citizenship or permanent residency is not required, and previous supported research leaves do not affect eligibility for the Ryskamp Fellowship.
The scholarly selection committee for Ryskamp Fellows will evaluate all eligible proposals according to the following criteria:
- The potential of the project to advance the field of study in which it is proposed and make an original and significant contribution to knowledge.
- The ambition and scope of the proposed project.
- The quality of the proposal with regard to its methodology, scope, theoretical framework, and grounding in the relevant scholarly literature.
- The feasibility of the project and the likelihood that the applicant will execute the work within the proposed timeframe.
- The scholarly record and career trajectory of the applicant.
- The likelihood that the proposed schedule of time and place will increase significantly the applicant’s ability to carry the project forward to timely completion.
Charles A. Ryskamp Research Fellowships Application
Applications must be submitted online and must include:
- Completed application form
- Proposal (no more than 10 pages, double spaced, in Times New Roman 11-point font)
- Bibliography (no more than two pages)
- Publications list (no more than two pages)
- Three reference letters including one from a tenured faculty member in the applicant’s department.
Charles A. Ryskamp Research Fellowships Application Deadline
- Closing Application : 24th September, 2014
- Notifications will be sent in : mid-February 2015