Graduate Research Assistant in Hydrology
The Watershed Hydrology Laboratory (WatHydroLab) has an opening to hire two outstanding MS and/or PhD students.
The research program at the WatHydroLab addresses tropical hydrology using a combination of experimental, theoretical and numerical modeling across a wide range of temporal and spatial scales.
Potential students will be majoring in one of the following departments/programs* Civil and Environmental Engineering; Geology and Geophysics; Biological Engineering; or Natural Resources and Environmental Management.
Research Topics : The research topic for the assistantship is flexible, but must address one of the main research areas of the WatHydroLab :
- Understanding the nature of hydrologic variability and change under a changing climate and land cover/land use, in vulnerable ecosystems
- Water, energy, carbon and nitrogen balance: field monitoring and modeling using GIS and Remote Sensing techniques and water resources management
- Evaluate the performance of hydrological models for operational flood forecasting, i.e., SAC-SMA and HL-RDHM
- Studying the impact of land based management practices on surface water and coastal areas based on extensive field experiments and numerical watershed models, e.g., DHSVM, AnnAGNPS; and
- Evaluating and improving environmental monitoring sensors.
Graduate Research Assistant in Hydrology Eligibility
BS or MS (in hydrology) in Civil Engineering, Geology, Biological Engineering, Soil and Water Science or related field; strong numerical modeling and/or computing capabilities; course background in programming languages (i.e., C++, VBasic, Java, ArcObject); experience in using hydrological models (i.e., DHSHVM, AnnAGNPS, MODFLOW, Hydrus2D/3D) excellent quantitative background; excellent skills in spatial-temporal data analysis (GIS & GPS); ability to articulate research objectives and hypotheses; good writing and report preparation skills; ability to work as part of a team; field and laboratory experience; and a valid driver license.
Financial Support and Duration :
Financial support includes :
- A stipend varying between 18,000 and 25,000 per year depending on qualifications and degree sought (MS or PhD)
- Out of state tuition waiver (valued at over $19,000/years ), and
- Full health insurance (medical, dental and vision).
The position will begin January 2011 and is guaranteed for one year, with a possibility of renewal for additional years pending satisfactory performance and continued availability of funds.
Graduate Research Assistant in Hydrology Application form
- A detailed CV
- A brief statement describing your credentials to meet the position qualification based on your academic skills and professional experience; and
- A minimum of three recommendation letters to the following address :
Dr. Ali Fares,
Watershed Hydrology Laboratory,
University of Hawaii-Manoa, 1910,
Honolulu, HI – 96822,
Inquiries : Dr. Ali Fares,
Phone : 808-956-6361,
Email : AFares@Hawaii.edu.
Graduate Research Assistant in Hydrology Application Dates
- Continuous recruitment; review of applications will begin as soon as possible and will continue until the position is filled.