McColl Fellowship University North CarolinaScholarships »
McColl Fellowship, University of North Carolina
The Center for the Study of the American South offers the McColl Dissertation Year Fellowship in Southern Studies to support the completion of a dissertation by a doctoral candidate at UNC-Chapel Hill on a subject related to the history, culture, or society of the American South. We define the South broadly, to include the states of the former Confederacy, adjoining areas, and regions that are conceptually or ideologically southern. The fellowship includes in-state tuition for up to 3.0 credit hours, health insurance, and a stipend of $18,000. This fellowship is made possible through the generous support of Hugh L. McColl, Jr.
Fellowships begin at the start of the fall semester and continue through the last day of the spring semester. Recipients are expected to devote their full efforts to the completion of the dissertation, and are not permitted any other form of employment while holding the fellowship. Fellows will participate in our graduate student “Southern Research Circle” and will present their research in our “Tell About the South” discussion series. Recipients may not defer the McColl Fellowship or receive its stipend simultaneously with any other major source of competitive funding.
Applicants should submit three hard copies and one electronic copy of each of the following
- cover sheet;
- curriculum vitae;
- a three-page, double-spaced description of the project and its intellectual merits;
- your timetable for completion and your availability to attend CSAS/SRC events; and
- a writing sample excerpted from one chapter of your dissertation (approximately 15 pages).
Under separate cover, your faculty advisor should submit a letter via mail, campus mail, or email that
- certifies that you are a doctoral student in good standing who will have reached formal candidacy for the PhD by the beginning of the fellowship year, and
- evaluates the intellectual quality of your project as well as the likelihood that you can complete the dissertation during the year of the fellowship. Please note that this fellowship does not requirecompletion of the dissertation, but should be awarded to students who are approaching the final phase of their writing and research.
Applicants should submit a single electronic copy (as a merged PDF file) of the following to email@example.com
Please contact the Center at 919-962-5665 with any questions. Our preferred email address is listed above, and our mailing address is 410 E. Franklin Street, CB#9127, Chapel Hill, NC 27599-9127.
McColl Fellowship, University of North Carolina Application Deadline
- Application deadline : 5th March, 2017
410 E. Franklin Street,
CB#9127, Chapel Hill, NC 27599-9127
Phone No : 919-962-5665
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org:
Website : http://south.unc.edu/