Medici Archive Project FellowshipsScholarships »
The Medici Archive Project – MAP Fellowships
Two Year Fellowship at the Medici Archive Project
The Medici Archive Project (MAP) is offering a two-year fellowship with fifteen months of fulltime document assessment and description for the Documentary Sources database onsite at the Archivio di Stato in Florence and five months of independent research on a topic related to art history and / or history of architecture and the Mediceo del Principato archival corpus (1537 – 1743), carried out in one 5-month segment in the second year of the fellowship period.
MAP Fellowships Eligibility
Candidates must either have American citizenship or be enrolled in graduate programs at universities in the United States. Dissertation topics that treat any aspect of Italian Renaissance or Baroque art history and research related to Medici family collections and patronage will be given preference.
If feasible, Kress Fellows will be able to enroll, free of charge, on our on-line paleography course before arriving in Florence. Further training in reading documents and using archival sources will be available through our archival studies seminar held at MAP’s new headquarters at Palazzo Alberti, as well as through daily contact with MAP Staff during the course of the Fellows’ tenure.
There are two Samuel H. Kress Graduate Art History Fellowships available for 2017
- A Spring/Summer Fellowship, covering a period of no less than three months, with a stipend of $8,000. The fellowship must take place within the period extending April 1st to July 31st 2017.
- A Fall/Winter Fellowship, covering a period of no less than three months, with a stipend of $8,000. This fellowship must take place within the period September 1st to December 31st, 2017.
MAP Fellowships How to apply
There is no application form for this fellowship. Instead, suitable candidates are invited to send via email to email@example.com, the following documents in a collated PDF by 15 February 2017
- A cover letter, stating which fellowship is sought, either “Spring/Summer” OR “Fall/Winter” and the proposed dates which the fellow will be in residence.
- A copy of the candidate’s finalized dissertation proposal, or should the proposal still be a work-inprogress, the date of the proposal defense.
- A short essay (no more than two pages) on how the candidate’s topic will benefit from archival research.
- An up-to-date curriculum vitae.
- The name and email address of a scholar in the field, preferably the candidate’s supervisor, who can comment on the applicant’s qualifications and the merits of the research proposal (please do not include letters of recommendation with the application).
Please do not include supplementary material (publications, papers, syllabi, etc.).
All materials must be submitted in English. For further information, contact Thomas Brownlees ( firstname.lastname@example.org )
The Medici Archive Project
3404 East Lake Road
Skaneateles, NY 13152
Website : http://www.medici.org/