Onsi Sawiris Scholarship Program for Outstanding Egyptian Students
Orascom Construction Industries ( OCI ) traces its roots back to 1950 when Eng. Onsi Sawiris first founded a construction company with a few friends in Upper Egypt. By digging waterways and paving roads, he built his business into one of Egypt’s largest general contractors.
In 1961, the business was nationalized under President Nasser and later became known as the El Nasr Civil Works Company. Not content to be an employee in his own company, Eng. Sawiris left for Libya where he continued his construction career. In 1976, he returned to Egypt and founded Orascom as a general contracting and trading company with five employees.
By the early 1990s, Eng. Sawiris had established Orascom as a leading private sector contractor by working in partnership with international companies pursuing projects in Egypt. Today, Orascom Construction Industries continues to blend international technical know-how with local resources to undertake even larger, more complex and demanding projects.
OCI seeks to promote excellence and achievement. OCI launched the Onsi Sawiris Program in the year 2000 to invest company resources in educational programs to improve the communities in which it works. Through the Onsi Sawiris Scholarship program, OCI provides full tuition scholarships for Egyptian students seeking to pursue their Master’s Degree at prestigious universities in the United States in the fields of Business Administration and Construction Management, with the aim of bolstering Egypts economic competitiveness.
The Onsi Sawiris Scholarships will be awarded based on character and merit as demonstrated through academic excellence, extracurricular activities, and entrepreneurial initiative. The scholarships include full tuition, a living allowance, travel and health insurance. Scholarship recipients will also be given the option of an internship position within the company.
Eligibility Criteria for Onsi Sawiris Scholarship Program
Applicants NEED to :
- Fulfill the test and documentation requirements of the scholarship program.
- Be Egyptian nationals, who are residents of Egypt ( preference will be given to those who have Egyptian citizenship only ).
- Be planning to pursue their master’s degree in one of the top five universities in the United States in the field of Business Administration or Construction Management.
- Be prepared to depart for study in the United States in the academic year 2011.
- Be committed to coming back to Egypt for two years upon the completion of their master’s degree program.
- Have a minimum Grade Point Average ( GPA ) of 3.5/4.0 or Very Good ( overall grade ).
- Have been involved or currently involved in extra-curricular activities ( applicants should be able to provide proof of participation in extra-curricular activities when required) .
Applicants must submit the following:
- Completed Onsi Sawiris Scholarship program application form and scholarship essay.
- Most recent resume.
- Copy of university transcripts.
- Copy of TOEFL iBT score report.
- Copy of GRE score report (for Construction Management program applicants only).
- Copy of GMAT score report (for Business Administration program applicants only).
- Two recommendation letters from individuals able to evaluate the applicant’s job and/or academic performance.
Application Procedures for Onsi Sawiris Scholarship Program
Pick up an application form from the AMIDEAST office in Cairo at the following address:
23 Mossadak Street,
Submit the application form and documents required to the AMIDEAST office in Cairo before June 14, 2010. OR
- * Download an application form
- * Submit the application form and documents required to the AMIDEAST office in Cairo at the following address: 23 Mossadak Street, Dokki, Giza before July, 2018
Scan the documents and upload them to the on-line application.
Onsi Sawiris Scholarship Program Date
- Submit application on-line before 31st July, 2018
To be submitted to :
Director of Advising and Exchange
23 Mossadak Street
Tel. : (202) 19263
E-Mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
website : www.amideast.org/offices/egypt/cairo/programs_services/onsi.htm