Aryeh Neier Fellowship 2011, USA
Aryeh Neier Fellowship
The American Civil Liberties Union Foundation and Human Rights Watch invite applications for the Aryeh Neier Fellowship. The fellow will work with both organizations on joint initiatives to strengthen respect for human rights in the United States.
Work is likely to include field research in the United States, preparation of reports, advocacy, and development of litigation strategies.
Human Rights Watch and the ACLU created the fellowship to honor the legacy of Aryeh Neier. As executive director of the ACLU and then of Human Rights Watch, Aryeh Neier helped develop both organizations into powerful forces for justice and human rights.
A special committee from both organizations will select the fellow, who will begin the two-year fellowship in the fall of 2011. He or she will most likely be placed in the New York City offices of Human Rights Watch and the ACLU, spending a year at each; however, the fellow should be open to placement in the organizations’ offices in other locations in the US.
Qualifications for Aryeh Neier Fellowship
- Applicants must be recent graduates of US law schools or should graduate by June 2011.
- Applicants must be eligible to practice law in the US during their second year.
- Applicants must possess academic or work experience related to some aspect of the protection of human rights and civil liberties in the United States.
- Applicants must have exceptional analytical skills, and an ability to write and speak clearly and persuasively.
- Applicants must be self-motivated with the ability to take initiative and follow through on projects to completion.
- Applicants must be able to work independently as well as within a team.
- Proficiency in one language in addition to English is preferred but not required.
- Applicants must have a demonstrated commitment to human rights and justice.
Salary and Benefits
The fellow will receive $55,000 in the first year, with a salary increase in the second year. Please note that the fellowship salary for the first year is currently under review and may be increased.
Applications for Aryeh Neier Fellowship
Applications should contain a cover letter, resume, two letters of recommendation, at least one unedited, unpublished writing sample (no legal briefs, please), and an official law or graduate school transcript.
Complete applications (including transcripts and recommendations) must be received no later than October 8, 2010. Applications should be sent by email, under single cover and as PDF files, to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the name of the fellowship in the subject line.