Dissertation Fellowships for ROC Students Abroad, USA
Fellowship for China Citizens and Doctoral Candidates
Doctoral candidates who are Republic of China (ROC) citizens and who are completing the last stage of their PhD. research at an accredited university in Europe may apply for fellowships for the completion of dissertations in the humanities and social sciences.
Applicants for ROC dissertation fellowships must be doing research on topics related to Chinese culture and society, the development of the Republic of China, or Taiwan Studies.
Their dissertations should cover one of the following fields : literature, history, philosophy, linguistics, art, sociology, anthropology, psychology, political science, legal studies, economics, or media studies.
Only students who have graduated from an accredited university or college in the Republic of China, and who do not have foreign permanent residence status or citizenship, are eligible to apply.
Grants are available only to doctoral candidates who are neither employed nor receiving grants from other sources. Applicants should have completed all other requirements for their Ph.D. degree, and must be in the last stage of their doctoral program.
The maximum amount of each award is $ 15,000, which is given for a period extending one year. Successful candidates are expected to complete their dissertations by the end of the grant period.
Funding for successful applications will begin in July. The completed thesis should not be submitted until the next calendar year.
Applications for Dissertation Fellowships will be evaluated according to the following criteria :
- The significance of the contribution that the proposed project will make to the advancement of research in the field of Chinese Studies.
- The quality or potential quality of the applicant’s work, including its originality in the field of Chinese Studies.
- The quality of the approach, organization, and methodology of the proposed project.
- The likelihood that the applicant can successfully complete the entire project during the grant period.
Important Information :
- Applicants must possess a passport from the Republic of China. Applicants with citizenship or permanent residence status in the United States, Canada, Mexico, or countries in Central America and South America are not eligible.
- Applicants must not accept full – time employment during the grant period, and should inform the Foundation if they are applying for or subsequently receive other sources of funding.The Foundation reserves the right to adjust the terms of the grant (including termination of the grant) should an applicant receive other sources of funding.
- Applicants must have graduated from a university or college accredited by the Ministry of Education of the Republic of China.
- Applicants must be enrolled in an accredited university in the United States, Canada, Mexico, Central America, or South America.
- Applicants must have qualified for Ph.D. candidacy and be in the last stage of writing the dissertation.
Application Deadline : 15th October.