Donald A. B. Lindberg Research Fellowship, USA
The Medical Library Association ( MLA ) believes that access to high-quality information improves decision making by health professionals, scientists, and consumers and is a major determinant in the quality of care and improved health for the nation and the world. MLA is interested in supporting individuals and research collaboration groups whose research will extend the underlying knowledgebase of health sciences information management or enhance the practice of the information professions, particularly health sciences librarianship. Areas of interest include the organization, delivery, use, and impact of information and knowledge on:
- health care access and delivery;
- public health services;
- consumers’ use of health information;
- biomedical research;
- education for the health professions.
Donald A. B. Lindberg Research Fellowship
The Donald A. B. Lindberg Research Fellow is named in honor of Donald A. B. Lindberg, MD, former director of the National Library of Medicine ( NLM ), in recognition of his significant national and international achievements at NLM and its National Center for Biotechnology Information. The Lindberg Research Fellowship Endowment, established in 2003, will provide a $10,000 grant, awarded annually by MLA through a competitive grant process. The purpose of this fellowship is to fund research aimed at expanding the research knowledgebase, linking the information services provided by librarians to improved health care and advances in biomedical research. The fellow program is administered through the Lindberg Research Fellow Jury.
Donald A. B. Lindberg Research Fellowship Eligibility
- To apply for support, an individual / group must be sponsored by an institution or an organization. One or a combination of the following institutions or organizations may sponsor applicants: MLA Board, committees, sections, and chapters; graduate schools of library and information science; university deans or department chairs in health professions schools or health care organizations; library organizations; or scientific academics and societies.
- Applicants must be citizens or permanent residents of the United States or Canada or have been lawfully admitted for permanent residence at the time of appointment.
- Applicants must be members of MLA.
- Health sciences librarians, health professionals, researchers, educators, and administrators are eligible.
- Applicants must have a bachelor’s, master’s, or doctor’s degree or be enrolled in a program leading to such a degree and demonstrate a commitment to the health sciences. The fellowship is not designed to support research for a doctoral dissertation or master’s thesis.
- An applicant / group may resubmit an application for the Lindberg Research Fellowship for up to a two-year period.
Donald A. B. Lindberg Research Fellowship Application
- Completed online application;
- Applicant’s curriculum vitae or biographical sketch
- In the case of a group application, the primary investigator should submit her/his curriculum vitae or biographical sketch as well as information about each member of the research collaboration group including what role each individual will perform in the research process;
- Detailed research proposal: The proposal should be 5–10 pages in length, and it should include all critical elements of the proposed study including background and rationale, research aims, budget, research design and methodology, timeline, and plans for disseminating the results; and
- Letters of support from the applicant/group’s home institution or from sponsoring institutions or organizations such as the board, committees, sections, and chapters of MLA; graduate schools of library and information science; university deans or department chairs in health professions schools or health care organizations; library organizations; or, scientific academies and societies.
- The letters of support should address why the research is significant to the field and why the applicant / group is qualified to do the research.
- Current photo ( optional )
Donald A. B. Lindberg Research Fellowship Date
- Application deadline : 15th November 2018.