E. C. Hallbeck Scholarship Program
When the five predecessor unions merged to form the APWU in 1971, the new union decided to maintain an academic scholarship program created in 1969 by the United Federation of Postal Clerks( UFPC ) as a tribute to UFPC president E.C. “Roy” Hallbeck.
The APWU Hallbeck Memorial Scholarship program is a self‐perpetuating financial fund for providing significant educational assistance to children of APWU union members. It awards $2,000 per year for four consecutive years of college to onemale and one female student from each of the five postal regions.
E. C. Hallbeck Scholarship Program Eligibility
A senior attending high school or other corresponding secondary school.
Child or grandchild, including stepchild orlegally adopted child of an activemember, Retirees Department member, or deceased member of the American Postal Workers Union.
Parent or grandparent must be a full dues paying member or retiree member [ as defined in the APWU National Constitution and Bylaws, reference Article 3, Section 1, Section 4(d)] in good standing or must have been a member immediately preceding death.
E.C.Hallbeck scholarship recipientmust attend an accredited college or university.
Must maintain “B” average, (or) “Pass” if Pass / Fail system
- Children / grandchildren of all Elected National Officers.
- Sponsoris currently a postal manager.
- Scholarship will be discontinued ifthe sponsor becomes a postalmanager.
- Applicantsfromother PostalUnions ( NALC, NRLCA, NMPHU )
E. C. Hallbeck Scholarship Program Application Form
Application form with instructions must be obtained from the APWU website http://www.apwu.org/dept/sec‐treas/stscholarships
Applicant is responsible for submitting a completed application and required materials. All application materials must be submitted in one envelope. Transcripts and teacher / community leader assessment must be in separate sealed envelope or emailed by a school official.
The Completed application form should be send to the following address or send through email : email@example.com.
American Postal WorkersUnion
1300 L Street, NW Washington,
The Application form should be submitted on or before 31st March, 2017.
E. C. Hallbeck Scholarship Program Selection Process
The Scholarship Selection Committee ( qualified persons in the education field who have no personal ties to the applicants ) will select two Hallbeck winners, one male and one female, from each ofthe following postal areas :
Area 1 : Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Central Nebraska,Northdakota,Ohio, Southdakota, Wisconsin.
Area 2 : Delaware, Districtof Columbia, Maryland,New Jersey ( Easternlocals ), Eastern New York ( Easternlocals ), Pennsylvania, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia.
Area 3 : Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts,New Hampshire,New Jersey ( Northeast Locals ), Northeast New York ( Northeast Locals ), Puertorico, Rhode Island, Vermont, Virginislands.
Area 4 : Alabama, Arkansas, Florida,Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, Southern Northcarolina,Oklahoma, Southcarolina, Tennessee, Texas.
Area 5 : Alaska, Americansamoa, Arizona, California, Colorado,Guam,Hawaii, Idaho, Western Montana,Nevada,New Mexico,Oregon, Saipan,Utah, Washington,Wyoming.
In making the selections, the Scholarship Selection Committee places primary emphasis upon knowledge and understanding ofthe importance of unions as displayed in the essay. Decisions ofthe Selection Committee will be final.
Disbursement of Funds and Accountability
- Once the studentrecipientis accepted into the academic programoftheir choice, APWU will disburse the scholarship amountspecified to the Student Financial AidOffice ofthe college.
- The studentrecipient isresponsible for providing the APWU with the disbursementrequest form and the official originalstudenttranscript,forthe prior academic year, priorto APWUmaking its disbursement.
- Scholarship funds will be disbursed directly to the school for payment of tuition, room, board, books or fees.
- Awards are for continuous years of study at the selected institution. Students must notify the APWU National Secretary‐Treasurerin writing before changing academic institutions.
E. C. Hallbeck Scholarship Program Important Dates
- Last Date for Submission of Application form : 31st March, 2017.
- Date of receiving hte notice of Winners : 1st July, 2017.
Application Form Submission 16 Dec 2020 to 16 Jan 2021.