Fulbright-Harkness New Zealand Fellowship , USAScholarships » USA »
Fulbright-Harkness New Zealand Fellowship
New Zealand Harkness Fellowships are for emerging New Zealand leaders in any field of study or vocation ( excluding health care policy and practice ) to study or research in the US for between eight and twelve weeks. One New Zealand Harkness Fellowship worth NZ$30,000 will be offered in 2017 ( for travel in 2018 ), to a person who is currently employed in a public sector organisation* in New Zealand.
* This includes the State Services, tertiary education institutions, State-Owned Enterprises and Crown companies, agencies that operate as part of the Legislative Branch of Government, and local Government.
The New Zealand Harkness Fellowships were established in 2009 by the New Zealand Harkness Fellowships Trust Board to reinforce links between New Zealand and the US and to enable emerging leaders in the public and private sectors to benefit from study and travel in the US. Their purpose is to enable appointed Fellows to gain first-hand knowledge and build contacts in their chosen field of endeavour that will be highly relevant to the NZ context and future NZ / US links. The Trust Board is working in partnership with the Leadership Development Centre, which is acting on behalf of the NZ Government.
The programme has four goals :
- Reinforce New Zealand-United States links by enabling actual or potential leaders and opinion formers in New Zealand to benefit from new ideas, practices and new contacts in the US;
- Increase the Fellow’s ability to bring about change and improvements in New Zealand;
- Help improve the cross-fertilisation of ideas and experience between New Zealand and the United States; and
- Build a leadership network on both sides of the Pacific, encourage ongoing exchange between New Zealand and the United States and establish enduring relationships offering reciprocal benefits to both countries.
Fulbright-Harkness New Zealand Fellowship Eligibility
To be eligible, candidate must :
- Be a New Zealand citizen who is currently residing in New Zealand;
- Be an early to mid-career professional active in any part of the public sector;
- Be a potential leader and opinion-former in your chosen field;
- Have an interest in learning from your experience in the US and be capable of putting to effect in NZ, relevant lessons learned.
The Fellowship is not intended for post-graduate or academic research. It provides an opportunity for emerging leaders in New Zealand to develop their ideas, practices and contacts in the US.
- A fellowship valued at up to NZ$30,000 is offered in 2017 ( for an award start date in 2018 ). New Zealand Harkness Fellowships are intended to contribute towards travel costs ( international and domestic ), accommodation and per diem expenses. The funds are not intended for the purchase of equipment or any other research costs. Additional costs in excess of NZ$30,000 must be met by the Fellow and / or their New Zealand employer.
- A basic health benefit plan covering a maximum of US$50,000 per sickness or injury.
- The period of your award is a minimum of eight weeks and a maximum of twelve weeks with a 2018 award start date as negotiated with the Harkness Fellowship Trust NZ’;
- You must travel on a NZ passport, and US immigration documentation must be completed from within New Zealand;
- You will be expected to take the opportunity to deliver seminars or speak with various groups as opportunities arise;
- You may be required to fulfill some Harkness media requirements before your departure for the US, during your exchange and / or on return to the NZ;
- You must provide Harkness ( via Fulbright New Zealand ) with copies of any articles or research papers resulting from your Fellowship. A final report must also be completed before you depart from the US.
Fulbright-Harkness New Zealand Fellowship Application Form
Candidate must complete and submit the application form below by the application deadline. Candidate must also submit all required support documents to us by the application deadline. These include :
- A CV of no more than four pages.
- A scan of the photo page of your passport.
- A letter of invitation from a potential host organisation in the US.
- A short statement about any previous experience in the US.
- A statement from your employer about your leadership experience and potential.
- A letter from your employer confirming their support for your participation in the program.
- A one-page project statement; and
- References from three referees ( the letter from your employer can count ).
Fulbright-Harkness New Zealand Fellowship Selection Process
Applicants will need to :
- Be able to demonstrate that they have the capacity to develop as exceptional leaders of intelligence, empathy and resilience who can play a significant leadership role in New Zealand.
- Have a proposed programme which meets the vision of the Fellowship : with clearly defined learning objectives and a plan to transfer and embed learning on return.
- Be capable of putting whatever lessons they have learned into effective use back in New Zealand;
- Have a commitment to increasing international understanding; and
- Have the ability to be a cultural ambassador for New Zealand.
Fulbright-Harkness New Zealand Fellowship Important Dates
- Last Date for submission of application form : 14th October, 2017.