Howard Hughes Medical Institute International Student Research Fellowships, USAScholarships » USA »
Howard Hughes Medical Institute International Student Research Fellowships, USA
International Student Research Fellowships, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, USA
HHMI’s new fellowship program supports outstanding international predoctoral students studying in the United States who are ineligible for fellowships or training grants through U. S. federal agencies.
HHMI will award three – year fellowships to international students to support years three, four, and five of a Ph.D. program. Eligible fields include biology, chemistry, physics, math, computer science, even plant biology – as well as interdisciplinary research.
HHMI expects to fund up to 40 fellowships for the 2011 – 2012 academic year. Each fellow will receive an annual stipend of $ 30, 000, plus an educational allowance.
International Student Research Fellowship Nomination Process and Eligibility :
- HHMI has designated selected U. S. institutions to nominate students to participate in the fellowship competition. Only these institutions are eligible to nominate students for this competition. (See PDF list of designated institutions below.)
- Only students nominated by their host institutions can apply for the fellowship.
To be nominated for the International Student Research Fellowship competition :
- Students cannot be U. S. citizens, noncitizen nationals, or permanent residents of the U. S.
- Students must be in the 2nd or 3rd year of a Ph.D. program in the biomedical or related sciences at a designated nominating institution.
- Students must have entered a laboratory in which they will conduct their dissertation research.
- Students in the 1st, 4th, or 5th year of their Ph.D. program are not eligible for nomination.
To activate the International Student Research Fellowships :
- Students must be in the 3rd or 4th year of a Ph.D. program in the biomedical or related sciences at a designated nominating institution.
- Students in their 1st, 2nd, or 5th year of their Ph.D. program cannot activate the fellowship.
- In no case will support past year 5 of the Ph.D. program be provided.
- Institutional nomination deadline : December 1, 2010
- Application deadline : February 16, 2011
- Award notification : May 2011
- Fellowships begin : September 1, 2011