Jack Kent Cooke Foundation ScholarshipScholarships » USA »
Jack Kent Cooke Foundation Scholarship
Jack Kent Cooke Foundation Scholarship Eligibility
To be eligible for the Jack Kent Cooke Foundation Undergraduate Transfer Scholarship, at a minimum, applicants must meet the following eligibility requirements :
- Sophomore Status – Be a current student at an accredited U.S. community college or two-year institution with sophomore status by 1st January, 2018, or a recent graduate ( since spring 2013 ).
- Fall College Enrollment– Plan to enroll full-time in a baccalaureate program at an accredited college or university in fall 2018.
- GPA– Have a cumulative undergraduate grade point average of 3.50 or better on a 4.0 scale ( or the equivalent ).
- Financial Need– Demonstrate unmet financial need, which has two components:
- Education costs that are appreciably greater than the total amount of other scholarships or grant awards.
- Insufficient student and family income to meet educational costs.
- No previous enrollment or attendance at a four-year institution – Students who have attended a four-year institution in the past are not eligible for this scholarship.
- If you started at a four-year institution, but did not complete a semester of full-time study, then you may be eligible. Please contact us to verify your eligibility.
- Students who have already transferred to a four-year institution or plan to transfer to start during the spring 2018 semester are also not eligible for this scholarship.
Jack Kent Cooke Foundation Scholarship Application Form
The Undergraduate Transfer Scholarship application is an online form that must be completed by the applicant. It requires information on the applicant’s background, academics and interests. Sections include:
- Basic Information – address, phone, email, gender, date of birth, and primary language spoken, as well as information about the applicant’s parents.
- Academics – cumulative GPA and grades for all undergraduate courses taken within the last 15 years ( current and previous institutions ), academic history, intended four-year institution and field of study.
- Honors – Dean’s list, honors program participation, and other honors or awards achieved while attending community college.
- Resume / CV – work experience and service involvement
- Activities – up to five additional activities in which you spend a significant time outside of class. These can include research / academic activities, paid work, sports, taking care of dependent children, or hobbies.
- Short Answers – questions about academic and personal experiences.
- Long Essay – a long form response to a general topic and a narrative autobiography.
- Financial Form – income and benefits, current assets, and unusual financial circumstances from the past three years.
- Uploaded materials – required documents that must be uploaded to the online application include:
- Official Transcripts – all transcripts for all college course work and institutions attended within the past 15 years
- TOEFL Score Reports – if applicable
- Resume / CV – the applicant’s resume
- Federal Tax Return for the past three years – complete tax forms, including W-2 form(s), schedules, and attachments for the applicant and his / her spouse ( if applicable ).
Parents / Guardians
If the applicant is under 30 years of age at the time of the application deadline, both of the biological or adoptive parents of the applicant must complete the Parent Financial Forms online, regardless of the applicant’s dependent orindependent status. If the applicant’s parents are not married to each other, there is a separate form for each parent. If there is only one parent ( the second parent is deceased, unknown, or missing ), then the sole parent must complete the form. Sections include :
- Employment and Education – current employment status and information and highest level of education attained and field of study.
- Household Members – people living in the household, and their relationship to the applicant.
- Financial Form – income and benefits, current assets, and unusual financial circumstances for the past three years.
- Uploaded Materials – required documents that must be uploaded to the online application include:
- Federal Tax Return for the past three years – complete tax forms, including W-2 form(s), schedules, and attachments.
Two academic recommendations are required. One of the recommendations must be completed by an academic professional at the applicant’s current or most recent two-year institution. The second recommendation should be completed by a professor, advisor, instructor, or other person well acquainted with the applicant’s work and character. It is strongly suggested that the second recommendations is completed by an academic professional at the current or most recent two-year institution.
The forms must be completed online; a standard letter of recommendation cannot be accepted as a substitute. Recommenders are asked to rate the applicant and provide short answers on a variety of academic skills and characteristics.
Jack Kent Cooke Foundation Scholarship Selection Criteria
The selection process for these awards is rigorous and highly competitive with approximately 45 scholarships awarded each year out of thousands of applicants. A review panel of distinguished college admissions professionals and faculty judge the applicants using criteria including :
- High academic ability and achievement : Strong academic record, academic awards and honors, and substantive assessments by educators providing confidential recommendations. In addition to GPA, we consider participation in available advanced courses, commitment to learning, and intellectual curiosity.
- Unmet financial need : Limited family income and assets in light of educational expenses. Substantial unmet educational costs after taking into account other scholarships and grants students may receive.
- Persistence: Determination and perseverance in the face of challenges, ability to set and remain focused on goals and to put in the effort needed to meet those goals in the face of obstacles.
- Leadership : Ability to organize and positively influence others in and out of school.
- Service to Others : Purposeful and meaningful commitment to others which may be evidenced by participation in volunteer / community service activities.
Jack Kent Cooke Foundation Scholarship Important Dates
The Undergraduate Transfer Scholarship application opens in late August and the deadline is in late October. The applications are reviewed November through March, and final notifications are made in April.