John Von Neumann Research Fellowship in Computational Science, USAScholarships » USA »
John Von Neumann Research Fellowship
The John von Neumann Postdoctoral Research Fellowship in Computational Science offers an exceptional opportunity to conduct innovative research in computational mathematics and scientific computing on advanced computing architectures. Von Neumann Fellows apply their research findings to a broad range of science and engineering problems of national importance.
Sandia’s computational science research programs span computational and discrete mathematics, computational physics and engineering, and systems software and tools. As a world leader in large-scale parallel computer systems, algorithms, software, and applications, Sandia provides a collaborative and highly multidisciplinary environment for solving computational problems at extreme scales. To support a variety of computational workloads, Sandia has several capacity systems for solving large, complex science and engineering problems, and visualizing and interpreting results. Sandia’s High Performance Computing ( HPC ) clusters include the 600 TF Skybridge cluster and the 1.2 PF Serrano and Cayenne clusters.
The John von Neumann Fellowship is a one-year appointment with a possible renewal for a second year. The fellowship offers a highly competitive salary, moving expenses, and a generous professional travel allowance. Von Neumann Fellows are partially supported by the Applied Mathematics program, which is part of the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Advanced Scientific Computing Research.
- Pursue a graduate degree on a full-time basis while remaining on roll but being absent from Sandia
- Annual stipend
- Full-time regular employee benefits while in the program with the exception of vacation accrual
- Payment of tuition and tuition associated costs without annual cap, paid directly to the university
- Relocation benefits
- One four day / three night campus visit to finalize program of study and secure housing
- Upon successful completion, return to Sandia as a Member of the Technical Staff
- PhD, received prior to commencement of the fellowship, in Applied or Computational Mathematics, or related computational science and engineering discipline
- Maximum of three years of postdoctoral experience
- Strong record of research publications
- US Citizenship not required
John Von Neumann Research Fellowship Selection of Candidates
- Candidate will apply to specific job postings for consideration, www.sandia.gov/careers.
- Selections of successful candidates is based on the technical needs of specific technical organizations at the labs and a criteria-focused matrix of academic standing, experience, leadership qualities, honors and faculty recommendations.
- Each candidate’s research interest and preference in position will determine organizational placement of the MFP candidate.
John Von Neumann Research Fellowship Application procedure
To apply for the 2018 John von Neumann Fellowship, follow these steps :
- Submit a single PDF file containing your cover letter, CV, and a 3-5 page research statement online at www.sandia.gov/careers, Job ID 658553.
- Submit three letters of recommendation to Denis Ridzal at firstname.lastname@example.org; Use “2018 VN Fellowship” as the subject line.