Massachusetts Scholarship Program , USAScholarships » USA »
Massachusetts Scholarship Program
The Horatio Alger Massachusetts Scholarship Program provides financial assistance to students in the State of Massachusetts who have exhibited integrity and perseverance in overcoming personal adversity and who aspire to pursue higher education.
Eligibility for Massachusetts Scholarship Program
To be eligible to apply for the Horatio Alger Massachusetts Scholarship, applicants must meet the following criteria :
- be enrolled full time as a high school senior in Massachusetts, progressing normally toward graduation, and planning to enter college no later than the fall following graduation;
- have a strong commitment to pursue and complete a bachelor’s degree at an accredited institution located in the United States (students may start their studies at a two-year institution and then transfer to a four-year institution);
- critical financial need ($50,000 or less adjusted gross income per family is preferred; if higher, an explanation must be provided);
- involvement in co-curricular and community activities;
- demonstrate academic achievement (minimum grade point average of 2.0);
- be a resident of Massachusetts; and
- be a citizen of the United States
- Applicants must have one letter of Letter of Support. They must be logged in to the application process to complete this. Faxes/emails will not be accepted.
- All applicants must submit an official High School transcript with legend that includes senior year classes. Faxes/emails will not be accepted.
- Applicants must complete and mail the certifications form after downloading it from the website. They must be logged in to the application process to download the form.
- The form must be signed by the parent/guardian and the applicant’s principal or vice principal prior to mailing. Faxes/emails will not be accepted.
- A copy of the applicant’s parent/guardians federal tax return
The applicant must provide a copy of the front page of their parent/guardian’s 2009 individual federal tax return (1040, 1040A, 1040 EZ or 1099 SSA-Social Security Tax Form).
If their parent / guardian’s Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) is a negative number, please submit copies of their parent/guardian’s federal individual tax return for the years of 2006, 2007, and 2008.
If their parent/guardians were not required to file a tax return, include statement copies showing the amount of any government benefits, such as food stamps or Public Assistance documents.
If Benefit Statements are sent in, they must include the benefit amount for the month or year. Faxes/emails will not be accepted.
Supplemental materials should be mailed to :
Horatio Alger Scholarship Programs
PO Box 4030
Iowa City, IA 52243-4030
Phone (866) 763-9228
Application Deadline for Massachusetts Scholarship Program : 30 October 2010