Missouri State Library Scholarship, USA
Scholarship program designed by the Missouri State Library to encourage professional librarianship in Missouri’s libraries Financial support for future librarians increases the professional workforce by encouraging individuals who might otherwise not have the resources for higher education.
Missouri State Library Scholarships are for students pursuing one of the following degree or certification programs :
- Master’s degree in library science, or
- School library media specialist certification, or
- School library media specialist certification concurrent with a master’s degree in library science.
The Missouri State Library Scholarship covers the cost of tuition at a Missouri college or university. The maximum reimbursement rate for tuition is limited to the highest prevailing per credit hour fee charged by a Missouri college or university.
As this fee is subject to fluctuation, the current tuition schedule is updated throughout the academic year.
Missouri State Library Scholarship applicants are encouraged to enroll full – time and must complete their studies within three (3) years of receiving an award. Missouri State Library Scholarships are also available to applicants who may be part – time students or completing their coursework using distance – learning opportunities.
In return for financial assistance, the State Library requires scholarship recipients to fulfill a work commitment equivalent to one month of work for every course funded.
For example, if the State Library were to fund 10 courses of a student’s graduate education, a 10 – month work commitment would be required. All scholarship recipients must secure a full – time professional position within six (6) months of graduation at a publically funded Missouri library.
Missouri State Library Scholarship Eligibility Requirements :
A candidate for the Missouri State Library Scholarship program must meet the following criteria :
Eligible candidates must be a current Missouri resident or currently employed in Missouri. Eligible candidates must be formally admitted to an accredited college or university in Missouri at the time of application. Proof of admission to a library program must be submitted with your application.
- Students pursuing a master’s degree in library science must attend a graduate program accredited by the American Library Association. Currently, the University of Missouri – Columbia School of Information Science and Learning Technologies is the only graduate program accredited by the ALA for a master’s degree in library science in Missouri.
- Students pursuing a master’s degree for the purpose of school library media certification must attend a graduate program accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education and recognized by the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education for school library media certification.
Currently, the University of Central Missouri and the University of Missouri – Columbia have graduate programs in library science that meet school library certification requirements.
All students pursuing school library media certification must have their initial or lifetime teacher’s certification prior to applying. Scholarship funds cannot be used toward a doctorate or specialist degree.
- Several other schools in Missouri offer programs to meet the requirements for school library media specialist certification.
Eligible schools must have accreditation by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education and approval by the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education for library media certification.
Missouri schools accredited by NCATE may be found on their Website at : http://www.ncate.org/public/listofaccredinst.asp. Certification programs approved by DESE may be found on their Website at : http://dese.mo.gov/divteachqual/teached/ directory/. Eligible schools must appear on both lists.
Applications available in November 2010
Applications due in late February 2011
Please contact Sarah Easley, Continuing Education Consultant, with any questions at email : firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone : (800) 325-0131, ext. 16
Application Form Submission 16 Dec 2020 to 16 Jan 2021.