NOAA Climate and Global Change Postdoctoral Fellowship, USAScholarships » USA »
NOAA Climate and Global Change Postdoctoral Fellowship
The UCAR Visiting Scientist Programs announces the 2011 recruitment for the NOAA Climate and Global Change Postdoctoral Fellowship Program. The program pairs recently graduated PhDs with host scientists at U.S. institutions to work in an area of mutual interest.
The program aims to create the next generation of climate researchers. It endeavors to attract recent PhDs with research interests in areas relevant to the NOAA climate science and services program.
The NOAA Climate and Global Change Postdoctoral Fellowship Program focuses on observing, understanding, modeling, and predicting climate variability and change on seasonal and longer time scales.
This includes the documentation and analysis of past, current, or possible future climate variability and change and the study of the underlying physical, chemical, and biological processes.
Preference is given to those who have held a PhD for no more than three years. Awardees must change institutions and identify a host, who must be at a US institution. A clearly articulated research proposal is particularly important. A steering committee, broadly representing the areas covered by this program, selects the fellows.
Advanced contact with a potential host is strongly encouraged. Interested host scientists are required to submit a brief letter of intent to host the fellow and a curriculum vita. Hosts are expected to mentor the fellow and cover office, computing, laboratory, and field research needs of the fellow as appropriate.
How to apply for NOAA Climate and Global Change Postdoctoral Fellowship :
Qualified scientists are encouraged to apply by sending the following materials to the UCAR Visiting Scientist Programs :
- Cover letter stating the name of this program.
- Curriculum vitae including list of publications.
- Names/contact information of at least four professional references. Applicants are responsible for contacting referees to have letters sent to UCAR/VSP by the application deadline.
- (Letters from more than one institution are encouraged. The potential host should not be a referee.
- Referees should be directed to the online reference requirements at http://www.vsp.ucar.edu/cgc/references.html.
- PhD dissertation abstract, including title.
- Titled project description, not to exceed five pages including figures and appendices (minimum 12 pt. type size, references excluded).
Interested hosts should send :
- A brief letter of intent to host the fellow.
- Curriculum vitae, including publications (two-page limit).
- A list of current and pending research support.
Application Deadline for NOAA Climate and Global Change Postdoctoral Fellowship : 17 January 2011