Northwestern University Fellowship 2013Scholarships » USA »
Presidential Fellowship in Northwestern University 2013
The Presidential Fellowship is funded by the President of the University and awarded by The Graduate School. This highly competitive award is the most prestigious fellowship awarded by Northwestern.
Presidential Fellows are students who combine outstanding intellectual or creative ability with the capacity to play an active part in the life of the Society of Fellows : distinguished faculty members and previous Presidential Fellows.
The Society creates future leaders who embrace and support Northwestern’s broad scholarship. All Presidential Fellows participate in the Society of Fellows functions ( except for students not in residence at the time of meetings ).
Study Subject ( s ) :
Biomedical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, DGP, Economics, History, IBiS, Materials Science and Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, NUIN, Physics and Astronomy, Political Science, Psychology, and Sociology.
Eligibility for University of Northwestern Fellowship 2013
- Northwestern University Fellowship applications are by nomination only. Graduate programs may nominate one or two applicants, depending on size.
- Programs that may nominate two students are: Biomedical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, DGP, Economics, History, IBiS, Materials Science and Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, NUIN, Physics and Astronomy, Political Science, Psychology, and Sociology.
- All other programs may nominate one student. Programs that choose not to nominate the maximum allowable number of applicants in one year will not suffer a reduction of allowable nominations the following year.
- Applications in excess of the maximum will not be considered.
- At the time of nomination, PhD applicants must be admitted to candidacy.
- MFA Fellows must have completed all residency requirements.
- Students who are beyond their time limitation ( 5 years for MFA, 9 years for PhD ) are not eligible for a Presidential Fellowship.
Northwestern University Fellowship Application Form 2013
- Northwestern University Fellowship applications are initially reviewed by a faculty committee representing a broad range of disciplines. Ten – twelve students are selected to be interviewed. Interviews take place during Winter quarter and applicants are expected to be present for an interview.
- From the finalists who interview, approximately six students are chosen to be Presidential Fellows. Throughout the process, applicants are evaluated based on the following criteria.
- ability of the candidate to communicate the significance, innovation and impact of the research to a broad – field audience;
- scholarly / research achievement at Northwestern in the form of papers, book chapters, review articles, presentations, recitals, lectures, etc;
- significant leadership roles, outreach and interdisciplinary activity. letters of recommendation indicating academic / research performance and future potential; and high academic achievement.
Northwestern University Fellowship Award :
- 24 months for PhD students starting in Fall quarter of the award period
- 12 months for MFA students starting in Fall quarter of the award period
1. Tuition payment ( at the TGS 588 or TGS 500 rate )
2. Monthly stipend
3. $1000 research award ( for each academic year of the award )
4. $1000 travel funds ( for each academic year of the award )
Northwestern University Research Description 2013
1. Description of the research or creative work, not to exceed five double – spaced pages.
2. The description should be a narrative : clearly focused, organized, jargon – free, and encompassing all dimensions of the student’s work.
3. The narrative might touch on the impact of the student’s work on their field and intended trajectory beyond their degree.
4. It should be written in a way that has both depth and breadth, can be understood by a broad – field audience, but avoids cliched personal statements.
5. Endnotes, bibliography, or pictures do not count toward the 5 – page limit, but these may not exceed a total of two additional pages.
Northwestern University Fellowship Application Deadline 2013
The Northern University Fellowship application deadline is 2nd December, 2013 ( Monday ) for fellowships beginning in Fall 2014 .