The Omidyar Postdoctoral Fellowship
The Omidyar Fellowship at the Santa Fe Institute is unique among postdoctoral appointments. The Institute has no formal programs or departments.
Research is collaborative and spans the physical, natural, and social sciences. Most research is theoretical and / or computational in nature, although may include an empirical component.
SFI averages 15 resident faculty, 95 external faculty, and 250 visitors per year. Descriptions of the research themes and interests of the faculty and current Fellows can be found at http://www.santafe.edu/research.
Requirements for The Omidyar Postdoctoral Fellowship :
- a Ph.D. in any discipline (or expect to receive one by September 2011)
- computational and quantitative skills
- an exemplary academic record
- a proven ability to work independently and collaboratively
- a demonstrated interest in multidisciplinary research
- evidence of the ability to think outside traditional paradigms
Applications are welcome from :
- candidates from any country
- candidates from any discipline
- women and minorities, as they are especially encouraged to apply.
Application Materials :
Interested candidates must submit the following :
- Curriculum vitae (including publications list).
- Statement of research interests (max. 2 pages) to include a short description of the research you would like to pursue and why.
- Description of interest in SFI (max. 1 page) that describes your potential contribution to the SFI community and also explains the potential impact of SFI on your research.
- Consider addressing one or more of the following: What sort of input from other fields would most improve your future research? What type of multidisciplinary workshop might you want to organize during your Fellowship? What aspects of your present or future research are difficult to pursue in a traditional academic environment?
- Three letters of recommendation from scholars who know your work.
- (The letters should be sent independent of the application. When you complete the online application, please be prepared to provide e-mail addresses of the three individuals who will recommend you. SFI will contact them directly with instructions for submitting letters.)
- (Optional) A copy of one paper you have written in English, either published or unpublished.
Application deadline for The Omidyar Postdoctoral Fellowship : November 1, 2010