The Sagan Fellowships will support outstanding recent postdoctoral scientists to conduct independent research that is broadly related to the science goals of the NASA Exoplanet Exploration program.
The primary goal of missions within this program is to discover and characterize planetary systems and Earth-like planets around nearby stars.
Sagan Fellowships are joined by two other NASA astrophysics theme-based fellowship programs : the Einstein Fellowship Program which supports the Physics of the Cosmos research, and the Hubble Fellowship Program which supports Cosmic Origins research.
The proposed research may be theoretical, observational, or instrumental. This program is open to applicants of any nationality who have earned (or will have earned) their doctoral degrees on or after January 1, 2008, in astronomy, physics, or related disciplines.
The Sagan Fellowships are tenable at U.S. host institutions of the fellows’ choice, subject to a maximum of one new fellow per host institution per year.
The duration of the Sagan Fellowships is up to three years: an initial one-year appointment and two annual renewals contingent on satisfactory performance and availability of NASA funds.
We anticipate awarding 6 fellowships in 2011. Please note that these are postdoctoral Fellowships only. Previous Michelson Fellowship holders are fully eligible to apply.
- Please see the Sagan Fellowship Guidelines for application instructions and detailed program policies. Applicants must follow all of the instructions given in these guidelines.
- Please see the Application Submission Page for proposal, reference letter, and institutional endorsement letter submission.
- FAQs for applicants are here.
- FAQs for awardees are here.
A complete application will include :
- Completed application submission form
- Curriculum vitae and list of major publications and all first-author papers
- Summary of previous and current research (not to exceed 3 pages including figures, tables, and references)
- Research proposal (not to exceed 3 pages including figures, tables, and references)
- Three (3) letters of reference each not to exceed two pages. One of the reference letters may come from the applicants advisor, however this is not a requirement. These letters are submitted through a web interface.
- Endorsement letter from the Host Institution.
The deadline for both applications and letters of reference is Thursday, November 4, 2010 at 4 PM PDT.
Offers will be made before February 1, 2011, and new appointments are expected to begin on or about September 1, 2011.
Application Form Submission 16 Dec 2020 to 16 Jan 2021.