History of McMaster University
Historically, McMaster University is the outgrowth of educational work initiated by Baptists in central Canada as early as the 1830’s. Named after Senator William McMaster ( 1811-1887 ), who bequeathed substantial funds to endow “a Christian school of learning”, the University was incorporated under the terms of an act of the Legislative Assembly of Ontario in 1887. The new University ( housed in McMaster Hall in Toronto ) offered courses in arts and theology. Degree programs began in 1890, with degrees first being conferred in 1894.
In 1930 the University moved from Toronto to Hamilton, the forty-first academic session opening on the present site. The University’s lands and new buildings were secured through gifts from graduates, members of the churches of the Baptist Convention of Ontario and Quebec, and citizens of Hamilton.
Until 1957, the Governors of the University were elected by the Baptist Convention of Ontario and Quebec. In that year, the University became a non-denominational private institution. The historic Baptist connection was continued through the separate incorporation and affiliation of a theological school, McMaster Divinity College.
By the McMaster Act of 1968-69, McMaster Divinity College continued under its existing arrangement, but the rest of the University was organized into the Divisions of Arts, Science, and Health Sciences each headed by a vice – president ( academic ).
In 1974 the divisional structure of the University was dissolved and the vice – presidents replaced by a single Vice-President ( Academic ), now called Provost and Vice – President ( Academic ). The Faculties of Business, Engineering, Health Sciences, Humanities, Science, and Social Sciences were retained, each under the leadership of a dean.
The University corporation consists of up to thirty-seven governors. Academic work is under the direction of the University Senate, which is made up of representatives of the teaching and administrative staff, Governors, student body, and Alumni. The University is financed by means of endowment income, gifts, fees, and annual grants from the City of Hamilton, the Hamilton-Wentworth Region, The Province of Ontario, and the Government of Canada.
- Under Graduate Courses.
- Post Graduate Courses.
McMaster ensures that full-time graduate students in PhD programs and in many Master’s programs receive scholarships (awarded annually). A PhD student is normally funded for four years. Students in Master’s programs are usually funded for their first three to six terms depending on the department.
McMaster University has adopted a policy of ensuring that all full-time PhD students receive at least $17,500 per year. Many programs have support levels in excess of this amount. Please contact the person in charge of graduate recruiting in your program of interest to find out more.
Office of the Registrar,
For admissions, student records, transcripts, timetables, examinations, registration,
Phone No. : 905 -525 – 4600.
Office of the Registrar – Liaison,
Phone No. : 905 – 525 – 9140 ext. 23650.
Office of Public Relations,
Phone No. : 905 – 525 – 9140 ext. 27305.
Office of Public Relations,
Phone No. : 905 – 525 – 9140 ext. 27988 or 22869.
Application Form Submission 16 Dec 2020 to 16 Jan 2021.