Laidlaw Memorial School & Junior College

Top Colleges » Coimbatore Education Institutions »

{tab=Laidlaw Memorial School}

The Laidlaw Memorial School & Junior College

The Laidlaw Memorial School & Junior College of St. George’s Home, Ketty, was founded in 1914 to provide sound, liberal and general education to the children of the Protestant Anglo – Indian and European communities.

It is a charitable co – educational institution run on public school lines and it educates 500 students from the age of 5 to 19 years. It is affiliated to the Council for Indian School Certificate Examinations, New Delhi.

It provides generous scholarship to Protestant Anglo Indian Laidlaw continues to be the torchbearer of Anglo – Indian Education in India, committed to excellence and all round development of the children.

It is committed to providing a total environment which is safe, supportive and life giving for its students. We recognize that the protection of its students lies at the heart of its mission statement and its integrity as a Christian school.

The school will act to ensure that every student enrolled lives and learns in a secure and nurturing environment. We also ensure that we will treat every student with respect and honour their dignity, at the same time being sensitive to the feelings, needs and concerns of the students. Quality education at an affordable cost is the foundation of what we believe and value.

The General Course of Studies includes

English in all its branches, Integrated Mathematics, Hindi, Tamil, French, Indian and World History, Civics, Geography, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Computer Science, Computer Applications, Bio-Technology, Economics, Accountancy, Commerce, Environmental Science, Art, Crafts, General Knowledge, Handwork, General Science, Moral Instruction and Physical Education. The Classes are conducted by trained and qualified Teachers.

The Laidlaw Memorial School & Junior College Admission Procedure

  1. Children are admitted from Class I onwards, and applications for admission have to be made in the form prescribed, at least a year in advance. The minimum age for admission is 5 plus years, and the child must have attended a Kindergarten for at least two years. Children are admitted after a Common Entrance exam which is conducted in February. For Standards I and II the Examination is mainly oral /written. Admission policies are subject to change from time to time.
  2. Admission forms will be supplied at [rupee] 1600/- per form only after Registration.
  3. At the time of admission, parents or guardians must produce the following documents.
    • Transfer Certificate.
    • Document showing the date of birth. (Only Municipality/Panchayat issued Birth Certificate or Transfer Certificate will be accepted)
    • Medical Certificate of fitness and the absence of any infectious disease.

The Laidlaw Memorial School & Junior College Sports

  1. These are an important and integral part of School activities and are compulsory for all medically fit students. They are supervised by members of the staff and are held on every day of the week, Sunday excepted.
  2. The Games and Sports include Cricket, Hockey, Football, Basketball, Tennis, Table Tennis, Chess, Badminton, Gymnastics and Athletics. Qualified instructors are available for coaching children for Inter-House Tournaments, Athletic and Gymnastic Meets, and for Inter-School Tournaments and Meets. Ketti and its surroundings of forested hills provide ideal conditions for hiking, scouting and camping which are encouraged
  3. Within the School, the House system is followed, and Inter – House Competitions are conducted in all activities for the coveted Cock House Shield each academic year.

The Laidlaw Memorial School & Junior College Infra Structure

1. The Chapel

  • The School Chapel, set in idyllic surroundings, is surely one of the most beautiful of any in the Nilgiris. Visiting Pastors and laymen conduct morning and evening Services for Christian children. Children of age to be confirmed, are given confirmation in St. Stephen’s Church, Ootacamund by the Bishop of Coimbatore.

2. Class Rooms

  1. Laidlaw Memorial School and Junior College houses most of its classrooms in the main school building built in 1923. The number of students in each class is purposely kept to an optimum 30 so that teachers can pay individual attention to students.
  2. The computer classes are conducted in state of the art computer labs having the latest PCs connected in a Local area network that is also connected to the internet via a broadband link.

3. Laboratories

  1. The school has a total of 8 laboratories, which includes 3 computer labs, 2 biology labs, 1 bio-tech, physics, chemistry and a geography lab.
  2. All the laboratories are equipped with computers which have multimedia software called CLASS ON THE WEB which enables the students to access all the science and mathematics model papers ranging from standard 6 to 12 of the ICSE, ISC and CBSE boards. Teachers can also perform experiments through the Virtual lab.

4. Computer Laboratories

  1. The three computer labs are one, for the senior section and the other for the junior section. The junior computer lab is for the students of standard 4 to 8. It has a total of 20 computers and can accommodate 40 students. The senior computer lab is for the students of standard 9 and above. It has a total of 20 computers and can accommodate around 20 students. Both the labs equipped with latest computer peripherals and LCD projectors.
  2. Smith cottage also has a computer lab with Pentium 4 computers this is for the students of standard 1 to 3. The students are also facilitated with a broad band internet connection. All three computer laboratories are interconnected.

5. Biology Laboratories

  • Both the biology labs are well equipped with all the necessary instruments. It is primarily for the students of standard eight and above. The laboratories provided with all the specimens, skeleton models, water-testing kit, microscopes as well as slides. We have the largest butterfly and moth collection in the Nilgiris, as well as the largest egg shell collection.

6. Geography Laboratories

  • The Geography lab is primarily for the senior school that is for the students of standard 8 and above. It provides the students with all the required necessities.

7. Bio – Technology Laboratory

  • The bio – technology laboratory is highly sophisticated with regard to the various instruments available. It possesses all the requirements for a bio – technology laboratory ranging from computers to the highly regarded and sophisticated “Laminar Airflow Chamber” and various types of microscopes. The school is the only bio – technology center in the Nilgiris and undoubtedly one of the best in the state.

8. Chemistry Laboratory

  • The chemistry laboratory is well equipped with all the needs and requirements of a laboratory of its kind. It is divided into two sections, one being for the theory part and the other for the all the practical work.

9. Physics Laboratory

  • Like the chemistry laboratory the physics laboratory too is split into two sections one being where the theory of the subject takes place and the other section is where the all practical work is done.

11. Games Fields

  1. The school has a beautiful 224 acre campus with plenty of scope to have fields for various outdoor activities. The school possesses several pitches named after benefactors or former Principals – some of the pitches are
    • Hesketh Pitch – used for Hockey and Cricket
    • Hammick Pitch – used for cricket coaching and houses the cricket nets
    • Golden Jubilee Pitch – used for Football
    • OGA Pitch – this is a 400 m field that is used for cricket and football
    • The school also has outdoor Tennis courts.

12. Library

  • The school possesses an excellent Library which is used extensively by both teachers and students for reference purposes. Internet access extends the reach of both students and teachers interested in access the latest information on specific topics of interest. The school also has an audio-visual room which is extensively used by both students and teachers

13. Dining Hall

Diet / Meals

  1. Catering is supervised by a reliable Caterer and Assistant Caterer. The normal meals of breakfast, lunch, tea and dinner are provided in the School refectory, to which is attached a large well equipped kitchen.
  2. Every effort is made to provide the children with a balanced diet, which includes meat, fish, chicken, eggs, vegetables and milk.
  3. Both Vegetarian and Non-Vegetarian diet is available from the School kitchen.
  4. Extra diet consisting of eggs and milk can be provided, if parents so desire. The request for a special diet, at an additional charge, must be made by parents in writing to the Principal.

14. Hospital

a. The School has a well-equipped hospital with 20 beds and a dispensary for out-patients. There is a fully qualified Nursing Sister in-charge of the Hospital, and the treatment of patients is prescribed by a visiting Doctor and visiting Dentist.

b. All cases of serious illness are transferred to the S.M.Hospital, Ooty or Vijayaraj Hospital, Ooty or to Nankem Hospital, Coonoor or to Sagayamatha Hospital, Coonoor. As soon as a child is admitted to the hospital his/her parents are informed. Where it is considered advisable by the School Doctor, the parents are also contacted by telephone, telegram, cable or email as the case may be, whenever any special treatment is advisable, e.g., if a child needs special dental or eye treatment, or has to be given spectacles. All pupils are given a through medical examination on admission, and thereafter have periodical medical checks at which time their weight and height are recorded.

c. Where a child has been under treatment prior to admission into the school, medicines sent by the parents will be administered, subject to the approval of the School Doctor.

d. A prescription must accompany all medicines sent by parents to be administered to their children.

e. While normal medicines or medicaments are not charged for, parents will be asked to defray the cost of any special medicine prescribed by the School Doctor for their children.

f. No child is permitted to keep medicines, and any medicines brought by children or by their parents for them, must be handed over to the Sister in-charge of the Hospital.

15. Buildings

  1. Early in 1918, after the plans had been once again revised by Mr. S. B. Murray, Chief Engineer to the Government, and later approved by the Board of Management, the foundations of the six initial buildings ( Blackburn, Preston, Lewis, Oakshott, Hesketh and the Principal’s bungalow now called Hammick Cottage ) as well as the Central School, were laid, and construction commenced. A beautiful chapel was later constructed adjacent to the main school building.
  2. The buildings across the school have a very British public school look and are maintained by the Estate department.
  3. Some of the newer buildings on the campus include Smith Cottage, Oldham House, the Staff quarters near Oldham House, Breeden Hall, the new Administrative building above which are housed the Gym and Table Tennis facilities.

16. Auditorium

  • The OGA Indoor Stadium is a 17’000 sq ft covered structure abutting the dining hall – it serves several purposes – it houses two indoor basketball courts with gallerywhile it also serves as a covered all-weather venue for school functions. It was built in 2007 at a cost of Rs. 4.7 million of which the Old Georgians raised a substantial sum from Old Georgians all over the world. OGs also arranged for the design and construction of this unique structure.

Laidlaw Memorial School & Junior College Contacts

ST. George’s Home Society, Ketti,
Between Ootacamund & Coonoor,
TamilNadu,
India – 643 215.
Website :www.laidlawschool.org.

{tab=Laidlaw Accomodation}

Laidlaw Memorial School & Junior College Accomodation

The “Cottage” system is followed in the School, where several large cottages accommodate the children in residence. There are eight such Cottages housing children of various age groups.

1. Smith House

a. What is Smith Cottage now was built as a Nursery Training School to train young girls to look after the orphan babies that very often came to the Homes. As the years went by and less and less orphan babies came to the Homes, the building has been turned into a cottage for children of Stds. I, II and III. The foundation stone of Smith Cottage was laid by His ExcellencyLord Erskine C.C.I.E., Governor of Madras on 2nd November 1936. Smith cottage can accommodate up to 70 children. There are 3 dormitories for the children. Two dormitories for the boys and one dormitory for the girls.

b. Dorm A has 14 double decker beds, Dorm B has 13 double decker beds and Dorm C has 17 wooden single beds. The dormitories are kept neat and clean. Each dormitory has shoe racks, towel pegs and lockers. There is a washing machine to wash the under linen and socks. The uniforms, home clothes and night clothes and games clothes go to the ‘dhobi’ to be washed and ironed. Smith cottage has its own computer room, music room and a big dining hall where the children have their meals and watch television.

c. At meal times the warden, matrons and ayahs see that the children use their forks and spoons in the proper manner, observe table manners and silence. We have a playground where the children play during their free time. The teaching staff, warden and matrons see to the discipline in the cottage.

2. Routine

a. The children of Std. IV wake up at 6:30 am, get ready and go for study at 7:00 am. The other children wake up at 7:00 am, brush their teeth, wash, get dressed, make their beds, tidy their lockers and shine their shoes. The matrons supervise and the ayahs help the children.

b. The children come for breakfast at 8:00 am. Breakfast is from 8:00am to 8:25 am. After the breakfast the children get ready for assembly which is from 8:40 am to 9:00 am. In the morning the classes start at 9:00 am and go on to 11:00 am. There is a break from 11:00am to 11:15 am. From 11:15 am we continue classes till 1:15 pm. There is a break for lunch from 1:15 pm to 2:15 pm.

c. The children have their lunch and go to the Smith House play ground to play. In the afternoon,classes go on from 2:15 pm to 3:35 pm. From 3:35 pm to 4:00 pm the weak students stay back in class and complete their work. The class teacher supervises this study. Tea is from 4:00 pm to 4:15pm. From 4:30 pm to 4:45 pm the children go for a walk with a staff member or do their practice for drama, drill etc. From 5:45 pm to 6:15 pm the children have baths with the help of the ayahs. From 6:20 pm to 7:00 pm they study. Dinner is from 7:00 pm to 7:25 pm. After dinner the children assemble for night prayers. 7:30 pm to 8:30 pm study. By 8:45 pm the children brush their teeth and get into bed.

d. The warden teaches the children good moral values, sees to the discipline, inculcates good habits in the children. The warden is present through out in the cottage and sees to the smooth running of the cottage. We have two matrons and 2 ayahs in Smith cottage to assist the warden.

3. Hesketh Cottage

a. Up to the 11th February 1958 Hesketh Cottage served as Homes’ Main Office and Hospital. On this date the Board of Management decided to construct a new Administrative Block and Hospital Block and turn Hesketh Cottage into a Boarding House for 40 boarders. Hesketh cottage is situated behind the school main office. In Hesketh cottage we have junior boys of classes 4, 5 and 6. The total strength of the cottage is 67 this academic year.

b. The boys feel that their cottage is like their own home. They are well treated by the matron – incharge and warden. They have been taught how to do their own work like making their beds, polishing their shoes, having their own baths, arranging their lockers neatly, cutting their nails, doing the gardening work and dressing themselves neatly and so on. The boys are taught to keep their dormitories clean.

c. In the cottage for sleeping they have neat mattresses and cots. There are hygienic toilet facilities both outside and inside the cottage. There is a big playground in front of the cottage where the boys can play the games of their choice. They have their baths regularly. We have three dormitories in the cottage. We have a big box room and a barber’s room built recently behind the cottage. We have a well – maintained garden in front of the cottage. The dhobi and barber come regularly.

d. All the boys are obedient and helpful. The boys treat their friends with kindness. The children are very happy, healthy and cheerful in the cottage. They get individual attention for their overall development in this cottage. Col. G. Hesketh, Chairman, Lancashire Committee. Col. Hesketh was from Bolton.

3. Hammick Cottage

a. This cottage is one of the oldest cottages situated near the School Hospital. It is the farthest cottage from the School Flat. It was named after Mr. E.A. Hammick, the former Principal during the years 1957-1976. It was his residence while he worked as the Principal and was built as the Principal’s bungalow. It has now been converted into one of the boy’s cottages. Those boys in the age group of 11 – 13 years stay in this cottage. It was recently (2005) renovated with latest style bathing rooms, toilets and wash basins. The boys get pure, healthy drinking water from a newly fitted Eureka Forbes water purifier. This cottage is also provided with an automatic IFB washing machine.

b. This is very helpful in washing the under garments and socks of the cottage boys. The other facilities include, steel lockers for every student, a boiler, generator, and 24 hours water supply and foam mattress. Just above this cottage is a new play ground which was made in the year 2006. There are four dormitories and a day room with wooden flooring in this cottage. There is a resident warden and matron to look after the children. Every child who lives in this cottage is provided a healthy environment to make friends and be happy. All the children are taught to be self-reliant and responsible.

4. Blackburn Cottage

a. In the year 1915, the Blackburn Master Cotton Spinners and Manufacturers Association sent a donation of £400 to the school’s Maintenance Fund. Even after this, the Lancashire Committee regularly supported the Homes financially through the difficult years.

b. The cottage is a twin to Preston and has all the facilities that Preston cottage has. It is home to 60 girls of Stds. IV, V, VI & VII. Built in the English style with chimneys and fire places, it is a double storeyed building. The top floor has wooden flooring. Girls from classes IV to VIII stay in this cottage. There is a matron and a warden who also stay in the cottage to take care of the girls.

c. Richard Greewood of Blackburn was Vice Chairman of the Lancashire Committee.

5. Preston Cottage

a. When the Rev. J. Breeden was sent to England in 1913 to garner financial support for the Homes in Kodaikanal he was able to raise £7000 and also establish a General Committee in Lancashire with secretaries in Blackburn and Preston apart from others in Manchester, Bolton, Darwen, Accrington and Thornley. In the early years of the Homes, funds were regularly received from the Lancashire Committee. To commemorate their support the two girls’ cottages were named Blackburn and Preston.

b. Preston cottage is one of the oldest cottages built in the English style. It is a two storey building. It has a beautiful and spacious rooms which are always kept clean and sparkling. There is a place for everything and everything is in its place Recently the cottage has been renovated and the bathing rooms and wash area have been fitted with the latest in tiling, wash basins and mirrors which are appreciated by all! Hot water from the solar heater is provided for regular baths. Each child has a large and spacious locker which is actually a little cupboard.

c. The children are looked after by an efficient warden and matron, who guide them, love them and motivate them to grow into responsible adults. There are children from the age group of 13 to 19. They are allowed to grow in an environment where they are able to make friends and live with them in harmony. The children learn to be responsible and self reliant. C.E. Grierson of Preston was Vice Chairman of the Lancashire Committee.

6. OLDHAM Cottage

a. The foundation stone for Oldham Cottage was laid by the Hon. Mr. C.A. Souter, C.S.I., I.C.S., on 12th October 1935. It was originally built as a cottage for the smaller children in the age group of 6 to 8 years. However, it has now been converted into a cottage that houses 80 boys of Stds. VII, VIII and IX. The name of the cottage is another salute to the yeoman services performed by the Lancashire Committee in providing funds and staff to the Homes.

b. The cottage is situated very near to the School Flat. The cottage is equipped with an Aquaguard Purified Mineral Water System, Hi-Tech IFB Washing Machine and well cleaned and maintained surroundings as well as inside and outside toilets.

c. The children are looked after by a warden and matron. All the children are provided with spacious lockers and comfortable cots and mattresses. In the cottages, the students are taught to be honest and reliable characters. Gardening is an important part of the daily routine and Oldham cottage has a good garden. Apart from this the children have enough room round the cottage for their own games. They have a hot water boiler that provides a plentiful supply of water for bathing.

d. Oldham Master Cotton Spinners Association donated £. 500/- towards Building fund in 1913 – 1914.

7. Lewis Cottage

a. A Board of Management minute dated 17th November 1917 reads as follows: “The Board approved the action of the Executive Committee in gratefully accepting an offer of [rupee] 17,500 from the John Lewis Memorial Committee to build a J.T. Lewis Memorial Cottage at Ketti”. On the 25th January 1923, Mr. Rothera presented the school with a photograph of Capt. Lewis to be placed in Lewis Cottage – this photograph is missing!

b. The above is the history behind the making of Lewis Cottage. This Cottage is for the senior-most boys in the school and houses 48 students of Stds. XI, XII and some boys from Std. X. They have solar heaters which provide them with hot and cold running water. They are also equipped with Aquaguard water for drinking, comfortable cots with foam mattresses, a steel cupboard each while the dayroom has been turned into a study room.

c. The boys are taken care of by a Warden and a Matron and a Ayah. The outside toilet which was woefully inadequate has been expanded from only eight cubicles to 22! They have their own box room too as well as a washing machine. The Head Boy and the Junior College Prefect have their own room with attached toilet and are expected to keep discipline in the cottage.

8. OAKSHOTT Cottage

a. There are 47 boys from Stds. IX and X and two Prefects from Std. XII. The cottage was built in 1922 and used as the School Hospital in 1923. It now caters to every comfort of the boys. There are fine new floors and mattresses. Each boy has an individual locker big enough to be a small cupboard.

b. The Prefects have their own suite of rooms with attached toilets. The day room is provided with tables and benches to allow for extra study during the exams and over weekends. Solar panels provide an unlimited supply of hot water in the special cubicles for baths.

c. Recreation is provided for with the Tennis Court and Basketball Court which adjoin the cottage and the Golden Jubilee football field is only a stone’s throw away. [rupee] 18,000/- donated by Mr. Eugene Fitzroy Oakshott and Mr Percy Oakshott, sons of Mr. Eugene Philip Oakshott ( died 1911 ) in memory of their father who was Chairman of the Board of Directors of Ms. Spencer & Co. Ltd for very many years.

{/tabs}