UGC NET Entrance Exam 2017
On behalf of UGC, the Central Board of Secondary Education announces holding of the National Eligibility Test ( NET ) on 5th November, 2017 ( Sunday ) for determining the eligibility of Indian nationals for the Eligibility for Assistant Professor only or Junior Research Fellowship & Eligibility for Assistant Professor Both in Indian universities and colleges.
CBSE will conduct NET in 84 subjects at 91 selected Cities of Examination spread across the country.
The award of JRF and Eligibility for Assistant Professor both OR Eligibility for Assistant Professor only will depend on the performance of the candidate in all three papers of NET. However, the candidates qualifying exclusively for Assistant Professor will not be considered for award of JRF. Candidate appearing in NET should clearly specify in the prescribed Application Form whether they are applying for both JRF & Eligibility for Assistant Professor both OR only for eligibility for Assistant Professor. Candidates who qualify the Test for eligibility for Assistant Professor will be governed by the rules and regulations for recruitment of Assistant Professor of the concerned universities / colleges / state governments, as the case may be.
The result of the UGC NET to be held on 5th November, 2017 will be made available on the websites www.cbsenet.nic.in as and when it is declared. The candidate will not be individually intimated about their result. The candidates who qualify for the award of Junior Research Fellowship are eligible to pursue research in the subject of their post graduation or in a related subject and are also eligible for Assistant Professor. The universities, institutions, IITs and other national organizations may select the JRF awardees for whole time research work in accordance with the procedure prescribed by them.
Scheduled Caste ( SC ) / Scheduled Tribe ( ST ) / Persons with Disability ( PWD ) / Other Backward Classes ( OBC )( Non creamy layer ), as per the central list of Other Backward Classes available on National Commission for Backward Classes ( NCBC ), Government of India website : www.ncbc.nic.in, candidate will be given such special concessions as may be decided by the UGC.
Junior Research Fellowship
Candidates qualifying for the award of Junior Research fellowship will be eligible to receive fellowship of UGC under various schemes, subject to their finding placement in universities / IITs / institutions. The validity period of the offer is two years w.e.f. the date of issue of JRF Award Letter. However, in case the candidates who have already joined M.Phil. / Ph.D., the date of commencement of fellowship shall be from the date of declaration of NET result or date of their joining, whichever is later.
To know more about Exam Details Click Here
UGC NET Eligibility 2017
Candidates who have secured at least 55% marks ( without rounding off ) in Master’s Degree OR equivalent examination from universities / institutions recognised by UGC in Humanities ( including languages ) and Social Science, Computer Science & Applications, Electronic Science etc. are eligible for this Test. The Other Backward Classes(OBC) belonging to non creamy layer / Scheduled Caste( SC ) / Scheduled Tribe ( ST ) / persons with disability ( PWD ) category candidates who have secured at least 50% marks ( without rounding off ) in Master’s degree or equivalent examination are eligible for this Test.
Candidates who have appeared OR will be appearing at the qualifying Master’s degree ( final year ) examination and whose result is still awaited or candidates whose qualifying examinations have been delayed may also apply for this test. However, such candidates will be admitted provisionally and shall be considered eligible for award of Junior Research Fellowship / eligibility for Assistant professor only after they have passed their Master’s Degree examination OR equivalent with at least 55% marks ( 50% marks in case of OBC ( Non – creamy layer / SC / ST / PWD ( persons with disability ) category candidates. Such candidates must complete their P.G degree examination within two years from the date of NET result with required percentage of marks, failing which they shall be treated as disqualified.
The Ph.D. degree holders whose Master’s level examination had been completed by 19th September 1991 ( irrespective of date of declaration of result ) shall be eligible for a relaxation of 5% in aggregate marks ( i.e. from 55% to 50% ) for appearing in NET.
Candidates are advised to appear in the subject of their post graduation only. The candidates, whose post graduation subject is not covered in the list of subjects, may appear in a related subject.
Candidates are neither required to send any certificates / documents in support of their eligibility nor printout of their Application Form ( Confirmation Page ) to CBSE. However the candidates, in their own interest, must satisfy themselves about their eligibility for the Test. In the event of any ineligibility being detected by the UGC / CBSE at any stage, their candidature will be cancelled and they shall be liable for legal action.
Candidates having post graduate diploma / certificate awarded by Indian University / Institute or foreign degree / diploma / certificate awarded by the foreign University / institute should in their own interest, ascertain the equivalence of their diploma / degree / certificate with Master’s degree of recognized Indian universities from Association of Indian Universities ( AIU ), New Delhi. ( www.aiuweb.org )
UGC NET 2017 Age Limit & Relaxation
Junior Research Fellowship : Not more than 28 years as on 1st November, 2017. A relaxation up to 5 years is provided to the candidates belonging to OBC ( Non creamy layer, as per the Central list of OBC available on website : www.ncbc.nic.in ) SC / ST / PWD categories and to women applicants. Relaxation will also be provided to the candidates having research experience, limited to the period spent on research in the relevant / related subject of postgraduation degree, subject to a maximum of 5 years, on production of a certificate from appropriate authority. Three years relaxation in age will be permissible to the candidates possessing L.L.M. Degree. Total age relaxation on the above grounds shall not exceed five years under any circumstances.
Assistant Professor : There is no upper age limit for applying for eligibility for Assistant Professor.
Exemption ( UGC Eligibility for Assistant Professor ) 2017
NET / SLET / SET shall remain the minimum eligibility condition for recruitment and appointment of Assistant Professors in Universities / Colleges / Institutions. Provided however, that candidates, who are or have been awarded a Ph.D. Degree in accordance with the University Grants Commission ( Minimum Standards and Procedure for Award of the Ph. D. Degree ) Regulations, 2009, shall be exempted from the requirement of the minimum eligibility condition of NET / SELT / SET for recruitment and appointment of Assistant Professor or equivalent positions in Universities / Colleges / Institutions.
The candidates who have passed the UGC / CSIR JRF examination prior to 1989 are also exempted from appearing in NET.
For SET Candidates : The candidates who have cleared the States Eligibility Test ( SET ) accredited by UGC for eligibility for Assistant Professor held prior to 1st June 2002, are exempted from appearing in NET, being eligible to apply for Assistant Professor anywhere in India. For SET held from 1st June 2002 onwards, the qualified candidates are eligible to apply for the post of Assistant Professor only.
To know more about Eligibility Criteria Click Here
UGC NET 2017 Exam Scheme
UGC NET November Test 2017 will consist of three papers. All the three papers will consist of only objective type questions and will be held on 5th November, 2017 ( Sunday ) in three separate sessions as under :
|Session||Paper||Marks||Number of Questions||Duration|
|First||I||100||50 questions all are |
|1¼ Hours ( 9:30 AM to |
10:45 AM ) IST
|Second||II||100||50 questions all are |
|1¼ Hours ( 11:15 AM to |
12:30 PM ) IST
|Third||III||150||75 questions all are |
|2½ Hours ( 2:00 PM to |
4:30 PM ) IST
Paper – I shall be of general nature, intended to assess the teaching / research aptitude of the candidate. It will primarily be designed to test reasoning ability, comprehension, divergent thinking and general awareness of the candidate. The paper shall consist of 50 objective type
compulsory questions and each question will carry 2 marks.
Paper – II shall consist of 50 objective type compulsory questions based on the subject selected by the candidate. Each question will carry 2 marks.
Paper – III will consist of 75 objective type compulsory questions from the subject selected by the candidate. Each question will carry 2 marks.
All the questions of Paper – II and Paper – III will be compulsory, covering entire syllabus ( including all electives, without options ).
The candidate will have to mark the responses for questions of Paper – I, Paper – II and Paper – III on the Optical Mark Reader ( OMR ) Sheet provided along with the test booklet.
Procedure & Criteria for Declaration of UGC NET Result
This will comprise of following steps :
Step I : Minimum marks to be obtained in NET for considering a candidate for the award of JRF and eligibility for Assistant Professor :
The candidates are required to obtain minimum marks separately in Paper – I, Paper – II and Paper – III as given below :
|Category||Minimum Marks (%) to be obtained|
|Paper - I||Paper - II||Paper - III|
|General||40% aggregate marks in all the three papers|
|OBC ( Non-creamy layer ) / PwD / SC / ST||35% aggregate marks in all the three papers|
Step II : Amongst those candidates who have cleared step I, a merit list will be prepared subject wise and category-wise using the aggregate marks of all the three papers secured by such candidates.
Step III : Top 15% candidates ( for each subject and category ), from the merit list mentioned under step II, will be declared NET qualified for eligibility for Assistant Professor only.
Step IV : A separate merit list for the award of JRF will be prepared from amongst the NET qualified candidates figuring in the merit list prepared under step III by using the formula mentioned below :
Provisions for Persons with Disability ( Including Visually Challenged Candidates )
Twenty five minutes compensatory time shall be provided for Paper – I and Paper – II separately. For paper – III, fifty minutes compensatory time shall be provided.
In no circumstances will they be allowed the help of a scribe to mark the answers for them. However, Low Vision candidates ( minimum 40% impairment ) will be allowed to write the examination with the help of a scribe. There is no provision of Test Booklets in Braille for visually impaired candidates.
UGC NET 2017 Syllabus of Test : All questions of Paper – II and Paper – III will be compulsory, covering entire syllabus ( including all electives, without options ). Syllabi for all NET subjects can be downloaded from the UGC website www.ugc.ac.in and are also available in the libraries of all Indian Universities. CBSE will not send the syllabus to individual candidates.
To know more about Exam Scheme Click Here
CBSE NET 2017 Application Form
- UGC NET November 2017 Application have to be submitted ‘Online‘ only.
How to Apply for UGC NET November 2017
Steps for submission of UGC NET Online Application Form :
Candidate seeking admission to the Test ( UGC NET, November 2017 ) must apply online only on the CBSE website www.cbsenet.nic.in.
Before applying Online, the candidates must possess the scanned images as below :
- Passport size photograph in JPG format of minimum 4kb to 40 kb. The dimension of the photograph should be 3.5 cm ( width ) x 4.5 cm ( height ).
- Signature in JPG format of minimum 4kb to 30 kb. The dimension of the signature should be 3.5 cm ( width ) x 1.5 cm ( height ).
After filling all the details for applying online for NET the candidates have to select the option of payment of examination fee either by credit / debit card or through e-challan generated during the online filling of the application form indicating your details therein and follow the process.
The candidates are required to bring a photo identity card along with their printout of online admission card on the day of examination.
Before applying Online, candidates are advised to go through detailed notification available on CBSE website www.cbsenet.nic.in. Please note that Fee submitted through any other mode like Money Order, Demand Draft, IPO etc. will be summarily rejected.
In order to avoid last minute rush, the candidates are advised to apply early enough. CBSE will not be responsible for network problems or any other problem of this nature in submission of online application during last days.
UGC NET General Instructions :
- The candidates must read the conditions of eligibility and must satisfy themselves regarding their eligibility for the Test before filling the online application Form.
- Submission of Online Application is mandatory. Hard copies of application form will not be accepted by CBSE.
- Application Form must be complete in all respects as per the Notification.
- All incomplete Application Forms will be rejected.
- Applications submitted on any other format ( including old UGC format ) will not be accepted.
- Printout of online application should be kept by the candidate for further reference.
- No applications can be submitted after the last date .
- The Candidate should note that their candidature is strictly provisional. The mere fact that Admission Card has been issued and the candidate is allowed to appear in the test shall not imply that the Board has finally accepted his / her candidature.
- CBSE may change the city of examination or date of examination without assigning any reason.
- It may be noted that the Admission Card will be uploaded on the website www.cbsenet.nic.in in the October, 2017. The candidates are requested to ascertain their venue of the test in the mentioned in the Admission Card and appear in the examination only at the designated examination center. No candidate will be allowed to appear at the examination center other than that allotted to him / her in the admission card.
- The candidates are required to bring a photo identity card also along with their printout of online Admission Card on the day of examination. No candidate will be allowed to appear in the examination whose admission card is not issued by the Board.
- The candidates should report at the examination center 30 minutes prior to commencement of examination. No candidate will be allowed to enter the examination center / hall after commencement of examination.
- No candidate will be allowed to leave the examination hall / room before 10:45 A.M. in the 1st session, 12:30 PM in the 2nd session and 4:30 P.M. in the 3rd session.
- The candidate shall have to return the original OMR Sheet of Paper I & II and Paper III to the Invigilator before leaving the examination hall / room. However, candidates are allowed to carry the Test Booklets of Paper-I, II and III along with duplicate copy ( carbon less copy ) of OMR Sheet on conclusion of examination.
- No TA will be paid to the candidates, on account of appearing at the examination etc.
- The use of calculators of Log Tables is not permitted. Mobile phones, pagers, electronic devices etc. are not allowed in the Examination Hall / Room.
- A candidate who does not appear in paper – I, will not be permitted to appear in paper – II and paper – III.
- Candidates will not be allowed to write any question from the Test Booklet on the Admission Card or on any other paper.
- There are no negative marks of incorrect answers.
- The captured images of response sheets ( OMR sheets ) of the candidates appeared in NET November, 2017 and answer keys of all the papers will be displayed on the website www.cbsenet.nic.in during 1st Week of January, 2018 ( the exact dates will be notified later in the newspapers ). The candidates, who are not satisfied with the captured response, may challenge by filling online application form on the website www.cbsenet.nic.in and paying a sum of 1000/- per question The challenge of answer keys will also be accepted online only through the link available on the website www.cbsenet.nic.in on payment of 1000/- per question. The fee can be paid by credit / debit card or e-challan. In case the challenge of any candidate regarding captured images of response sheets ( OMR sheets ) / answer keys is accepted, the fee will be refunded to such candidates. In all other cases the fee once paid will not be refunded. The CBSE’s decision on the challenges shall be final and the result will be declared on the basis of final answer keys.
- The marks of all the candidates will be uploaded on CBSE website www.cbsenet.nic.in soon after declaration of result. Besides this, CBSE will not issue any marks sheet to qualified / non qualified candidates.
- No grievance with regard to answer key(s) after declaration of result of NET November, 2017 will be entertained.
- There are no negative marks of incorrect answers
- The marks of all the candidates will be uploaded on CBSE website www.cbsenet.nic.in soon after declaration of result. Besides this, CBSE will not issue any marks sheet to qualified / non qualified candidates.
- Canvassing in any form will disqualify the candidate.
- The decision of the CBSE shall be final in all matters.
- All legal disputes pertaining to this Test shall fall within the jurisdiction of Delhi Courts only.
UGC NET 2017 Mode of Payment
|Category||General||OBC ( Non - creamy layer ), as per the Central list of OBC available on website : www.ncbc.nic.in||SC / ST / PwD|
|Examination Fee||Rs. 600/-||Rs. 300/-||Rs. 150/-|
The candidates may pay the examination fee either by credit / debit card or through echallan generated during the online filling of the application form. In case of e-challan the payment should be made in the Syndicate / Canara / ICICI / HDFC Bank. In case the examination fee is paid through credit / debit card the additional processing charges as following will also be debited from the credit / debit card of the candidate.
- Credit Card : 1% of the examination fee plus the service tax as applicable.
- Debit Card : 0.75% of examination fee plus the service tax as applicable.
After filling all the details for applying online for NET, the candidate will have the option to select the mode of payment of examination fee either by credit / debit card or through e-challan generated during the online filling of the application form indicating their details therein.
The candidates are required to check the status of fee payment at CBSE website www.cbsenet.nic.in and if the status is ‘OK’ the candidate will be able to take the printout of Confirmation Page.
In case, the fee payment status is not ‘OK’ the candidates are advised as following :
- If the fee is paid through e-challan be depositing cash in above mentioned bank, the candidate should contact immediately the concerned bank to update his / her fee status on the website.
- If the fee is paid through credit / debit card and status is not OK, it means the transaction is cancelled and the amount will be refunded to concerned credit / debit card within a week. Such candidates have to pay the fee once again.
Please note that fee submitted by any other mode like money order, demand draft, IPO etc. will be rejected. Fee once paid will not be refunded under any circumstances.
UGC NET 2017 Admit Card
It may be noted that the admission card will be uploaded on the website www.cbsenet.nic.in in the third week of December, 2016. No admission cards will be sent to the candidates by post. The candidates should download their admission cards from the website to ascertain their venue of the Test as mentioned in the Admission Card and appear in the examination only at the designated examination center. No candidate will be allowed to appear at the examination center other than that allotted to him / her in the admission card.
To know more about Application Form Click Here
UGC NET 2017 Exam Centres
The candidates have to select any four cities of their choice for examination of NET November, 2017. The efforts will be made to allot city of examination to the candidates in order of the choice opted by them in their application form. However, in some exceptional circumstances, a different city of nearby area may be allotted.
UGC NET Exam Centres 2017 List
|CODE NO.||STATE||CITIES OF EXAMINATION||CODE NO.||STATE||CITIES OF EXAMINATION|
|4||ANDAMAN & NICOBAR ISLANDS||PORTBLAIR||49||NAGPUR|
|7||SILCHAR ( ASSAM )||53||MANIPUR||IMPHAL|
|23||KURKSHETRA||69||SIKKIM||GANGTOK ( SIKKIM )|
|24||MURTHAL ( SONEPAT )||70||TAMIL NADU||CHENNAI|
|27||JAMMU & KASHMIR||JAMMU||73||TIRUCHIRAPALLI|
|28||SRINAGAR ( J & K )||74||TELANGANA||HYDERABAD|
|42||REWA||88||SRINAGAR ( UTTRAKHAND )|
The List of States / Union Territories along with their Respective Codes is given below :
|Code||Exam Centre||Code||Exam Centre||Code||Exam Centre||Code||Exam Centre|
|01||Andhra Pradesh||10||Jammu & Kashmir||19||Odisha||28||Dadar & Nagar Havelli|
|02||Arunachal Pradesh||11||Karnataka||20||Punjab||29||Daman & Diu|
|09||Himachal Pradesh||18||Nagaland||27||Andaman & Nicobar Islands||36||Telangana|
To know more about Exam Centres Click Here
CBSE NET Syllabus 2017
Syllabus of UGC NET Test : All questions of Paper – II and Paper – III will be compulsory, covering entire syllabus ( including all electives, without options ).
Syllabi for all NET subjects can be downloaded from the UGC Website www.ugc.ac.in and are also available in the libraries of all Indian Universities. CBSE will not send the syllabus to individual candidates.
UGC NET 2017 Subjects
The list of NET subjects along with their respective codes is as given below :
|3||Philosophy||46||Adult Education / Continuing Education / Andragogy / Non Formal Education|
|5||Sociology||49||Arab Culture and Islamic Studies|
|7||Anthropology||55||Labour Welfare / Personnel Management / Industrial Relations / Labour and Social Welfare / Human Resource Management|
|9||Education||59||Library and Information Science|
|10||Social Work||60||Buddhist, Jaina, Gandhian and Peace Studies|
|11||Defence and Strategic Studies||62||Comparative Study of Religions|
|12||Home Science||63||Mass Communication and Journalism|
|15||Population Studies*||66||Museology & Conservation|
( Vocal / Instrumental )
|18||Maithili||70||Tribal and Regional Language / Literature|
|21||Kannada||73||Sanskrit Traditional Subjects ( including Jyotisha / Sidhanta Jyotisha / Navya Vyakarna / Vyakarna / Mimamsa / Navya Nyaya / Sankhya Yoga / Tulanatmaka Darsana / Shukla Yajurveda / Madhva Vedanta / Dharma Sastra / Sahitya / Purana - itihasa / Agama / Advaita Vedanta )|
|22||Malayalam||74||Women Studies **|
|23||Odia||79||Visual Art ( including Drawing & Painting / Sculpture / Graphics / Applies Art / History of Art )|
|25||Sanskrit||81||Social Medicine & Community Health|
|30||English||87||Computer Science and Applications|
|33||Dogri||90||International and Area Studies|
|35||Manipuri||92||Human Rights and Duties|
|36||Assamese||93||Tourism Administration and Management|
|39||French||96||Karnatik Music ( Vocal Instrument, Percussion )|
|42||Persian||99||Drama / Theatre|
*The candidates with Master’s Degree in Geography ( with specialization in Population Studies ) or Mathematics / Statistics are also eligible to appear in the subject “Population Studies” ( Code 15 )
**The candidates with Master’s Degree in Humanities ( including languages ) and Social Sciences are eligible to appear in subject ‘Women Studies’ ( Code 74 ).
To know more about Syllabus Click Here
UGC NET 2017 Results
UGC NET Exam Date
UGC NET November Entrance Exam will be conducted on 5th November, 2017.
UGC NET Result Date
UGC NET 2017 Entrance Exam Results likely to be declared in the month of December, 2017.
Please keep watching this page, to check your UGC NET Results 2017…
To know more about Results Click Here
UGC NET 2017 Important Dates
|1||Online Application Form Submission||11th August, 2017|
|2||Last date for Applying Online||11th September, 2017|
|3||Last date of submission of Fee through online generated Bank Challan, at any branch of ( Syndicate / Canara / ICICI / HDFC Bank )||12th September, 2017|
|4||Correction in Particulars of application form on the website||19th to 25th September, 2017|
|5||Uploading of Admit Card||3rd week of October, 2017|
|6||Date of Examination||5th November, 2017|
|Paper - 1||Paper - 2||Paper - 3|
|Date of Examination||5th November, 2017|
( Sunday )
|5th November, 2017|
( Sunday )
|5th November, 2017|
( Sunday )
|Entry in the |
|7:00 AM ( IST )||10:45 AM ( IST )||1:30 PM ( IST )|
|Distribution of Test |
|9:15 AM ( IST )||11:05 AM ( IST )||1:50 PM ( IST )|
|Seal of the Test Booklet |
to be broken / opened to
take out the Answer Sheet
|9:25 AM ( IST )||11:10 AM ( IST )||1:55 PM ( IST )|
|Last entry in the |
|9:30 AM ( IST )||11:15 AM ( IST )||2:00 PM ( IST )|
|Test commences||9:30 AM ( IST )||11:15 AM ( IST )||2:00 PM ( IST )|
|Test concludes||10:45 AM ( IST )||12:30 PM ( IST )||4:30 PM ( IST )|