CBSE NET 2018 Buddhist Jaina Gandhian and Peace Studies Syllabus
Subject : Buddhist, Jaina, Gandhian and Peace Studies ( Code No : 60 )
There will be two question papers. UGC NET Paper II will cover 50 Multiple Choice Questions ( Multiple choice, Matching type, True / False, Assertion – Reasoning type ) carrying 100 marks and UGC NET Paper III will have two Parts – A and B.
Part – A will have 10 short essay type questions ( 300 words ) carrying 16 marks each. There will be one question from each unit with internal choice from the same unit. Total marks will be 160.
Part – B will be compulsory and questions will be set from Unit – I to Unit – X.
The candidate will attempt one question from Part – B ( 800 words ) carrying 40 marks. Total marks of UGC NET Paper III will be 200.
UGC NET Paper II and Paper III ( Part A & B )
Unit – I
- Life of Gautama Buddha.
- Buddhist Councils and Theravada ( Hinayana ) as well as Mahayana Schools.
- Introduction of Buddhism to Tibet, China and Japan.
- Pali Tripitaka Literature.
- Lives and works of Buddhaghosa, Dignanga and Dharmakirti.
Unit – II
- Sila, Samadhi and Prajna.
- Four Arya Satyas.
- Arya Astangika Marga.
Unit – III
- Buddhist Architecture – Bodh Gaya ( Mahabodhi ) Temple, Ajanta Cave – temple, Sanchi Stupa.
- Buddhist Sculpture – Origin and Development of Buddha – image.
- Status of Women in Buddhism.
- Impact of Buddhism on Society.
- Buddhism and Ecology.
Unit – IV
- Life of Lord Rsabhadeva, Parsvanatha and Mahavira.
- Jaina Councils and Schools – Digambara and Svetambara.
- Prakrit Agama Literature.
- Lives and works of Acarya Kundakunda, Umasvati and Haribhadrasuri.
- Main Centres of Jaina Learning – Shravanabelgola, Jesalmera, Ahmedabad and Varanasi.
Unit – V
- Five Vratas – Anuvratas and Mahavratas – Ahimsa, Satya, Asteya, Brahmacarya and Aparigraha.
- Six Substances and Seven Fundamentals.
- Triratna – Samyag Darsana, Jnana and Caritra.
- Anekantavada and Syadvada.
- Five kinds of knowledge – Mati, Sruti, Avadhi, Manahparyaya and Kevalajnana.
Unit – VI
- Jaina Architecture – Ellora Cave, Khajuraho Temples and Mount Abu Temples.
- Jaina Iconography – Images from Mathura and Shravanabelgola.
- Status of Women in Jainism.
- Impact of Jainism on Society – Vegetarianism ( Shakahar ), Four kinds of Charity ( Dana ).
- Jainism and Ecology.
Unit – VII
- Indian and Western sources of Influence on Gandhi.
- Early childhood and life in England.
- Gandhiji’s experiment of Satyagraha in South Africa.
- Satyagraha Campaigns and Indian Freedom Movement.
Unit – VIII
- Foundations of Gandhian Thought – God, Truth and Non – Violence.
- Individual, State, Swaraj, Rights and Duties.
- Philosophy of Sarvodaya.
- Ends and Means.
- Religion and Politics.
Unit – IX
- Society and Varnasrama Dharma.
- Ashram Vows.
- Civilization and Education.
- Constructive Programme, Sustainable Development and Swadeshi.
Unit – X
- Concept of Peace.
- Causes and Forms of Violence.
- Conflict – Resolution and Satyagraha.
- Peace Movements in India and Abroad.
- Non – Violent and Ecology.