CBSE NET Home Science Syllabus 2018
Subject : Home Science ( Code No : 12 )
There will be two question papers, UGC NET Home Science Paper II and Paper III (Part – A & B), UGC NET Home Science Paper II will cover 50 Objective Type Questions ( Multiple choice, Matching type, True / False, Assertion – Reasoning type ) carrying 100 marks.
UGC NET Home Science Paper II will have two Parts – A and B; UGC NET Home Science Paper III (A) will have 10 short essay – type questions ( 300 words ) carrying 16 marks each. In it there will be one question with internal choice from each unit ( i.e., 10 questions from 10 Units; Total Marks will be 160 ).
UGC NET Home Science Paper III ( B ) will be compulsory and there will be one question from each of the Electives. The candidate will attempt only one question ( one elective only in 800 words ) carrying 40 marks. Total marks of UGC NET Home Science Paper III will be 200.
UGC NET Home Science Paper II & Paper III ( A ) [ Core Group ]
Unit – I : Food Science
- Food Groups
- Food Preparation
- Food Preservation
- Food Science and Food Analysis
- Food Processing
Unit – II : Nutrition Science
- Fundamentals of Nutrition
- Nutritional Biochemistry
- Food Microbiology
- Public Nutrition
- Therapeutic Nutrition
Unit – III : Institutional Management
- Management of Hospitality Institutes – Hospital / Hotel / Restaurant / Cafe and Outdoor catering.
- Management of Social Institutes – family as Institute, child care and Geriatric institutes, Panchayats.
- Management of Educational Institutes – Pre – school, Primary and Secondary Schools, ( Colleges and Universities ) Higher Educational Institutes.
- Management of Special Institutes for physically, mentally and socially challenged.
- Challenges and problems faced by Institutions.
Unit – IV : Clothing
- Principles of clothing – Socio – Psychological aspects of Clothing, selection of Fabrics, Clothing and Family Clothing.
- Clothing Construction – basic principles of drafting, flat pattern and draping methods.
- Textile Design – principles and concepts.
- Fashion Design – fashion cycles, business and merchandizing.
- Care and maintenance of textile materials and garments; laundry agents – methods and equipments.
Unit – V : Textiles
- General Properties and Fine Structure of all Textile Fibers.
- Processing and Manufacture of all natural and man – made fibers.
- Definition and Classification of Yarns; Identification of yarns and its use in various fabrics.
- Fabric construction, definition and types of woven, non – woven, knitted and other construction techniques.
- Testings of fibers, yarns and fabric; Importance of quality control and research institutes.
Unit – VI : Resource Management
- Concept of Home management and steps.
- Management of Human Resources; Classification of Resources; Basic Characteristics of Resources.
- Decision making in family; Steps in decision making; Methods of resolving conflicts.
- Work simplification; Importance of work simplification in home; Mundel’s classes of change; Simple pen and pencil technique in work simplification.
- Housing, Interior Design, Principles of Interior Design, Various Colours and Colour Schemes.
- Household equipment – Selection and Care.
Unit – VII : Human Development
- Child Development – Principles and Stages.
- Life Span Development – Theories of Human Development and Behaviour.
- Child rearing, Socialization practices and Dynamics.
- Early Childhood Care and Education – Emerging trends.
- Development problems and disabilities during childhood and adolescence, guidance and counselling.
- Advanced Child Study methods and assessment.
- Women’s Studies, Family Welfare Program – Recent Approaches.
Unit – VIII : Non – Formal Education and Extension Education
- History and Development of Home Science in Formal / Non – formal and Extension Education.
- Theory and Practices of Program / Curriculum planning and development.
- Management and Administration of Formal / Non – formal and Extension Education.
- Monitoring, Supervision and Evaluation of Formal, Non – formal and Extension Education.
- Vocationalization of Home Science in India.
- Theories and Principles of Guidance and Counselling in Formal / Non – formal / Extension.
- Problems and Challenges encountered in Formal / Non – formal / Extension.
Unit – IX : Developmental and Educational Communication
- Concept and Classification of Communication
- Traditional Methods and Materials of Communication – Selection / Preparation / Use.
- Modern Methods and Materials of Communication – Selection / Preparation / Use.
- Strategies for Developmental Communication.
- Classroom Communications in Home Science trends.
- Communication for Publicity and Public Relations.
- Change and Challenges in Communication in Contemporary Society.
Unit – X : Methods of Research
- Trends in Research in Home Science.
- Research Designs.
- Types of Research.
- Sampling Techniques.
- Selection and Preparation of Tools for data collection.
- Type of variables and their selection.
- Data collection and classification / coding.
- Analysis of data through parametric and non – parametric statistics
- Report Writing – presentation of data, interpretation and discussion
UGC NET Home Science Paper III ( B ) [ Elective / Optional ]
Elective – I : Food and Nutrition
- Food Science and Quality Control
- Macro and Micro – Nutrients
- Human Nutritional Requirements
- Assessment of Nutritional Status
- Food Biotechnology
Elective – II : Institutional Management and Dietetics
- Advanced Management and Organisation
- Management of Human Resources
- Experimental Quantity Cookery
- Financial and Profit Management
- Quantity Food Preparation Techniques
- Food Service and Delivery Systems
- Therapeutic Dietetics
Elective – III : Child and Human Development
- Human Development – Rights perspective.
- Principles and Theories of Human Development.
- Early Childhood Care and Development – Strategies, Monitoring and Supervision.
- Children with special needs and Children at Risk ( Child Labour, Street Children, Child Abuse, Chronically Sick ); Intervention Programmes.
- Socialization in various family contexts across different cultures.
- Advances in Assessment of Children.
Elective – IV : Clothing and Textiles
- Textile Chemistry – Fibers and dyes.
- Dyeing, printing and finishing of fibers yarns and fabrics.
- Textile and Apparel Industry – Fundamental of business, specifications, quality control agencies and marketing.
- Historic and Traditional Textiles of world with emphasis on India.
- Curriculum and Teaching in clothing and textiles, analysis and development of curriculum; teaching methods and aids.
- Consumer and Textiles and Clothing.
- Recent developments in Textile and Clothing.
Elective – V : Home and Community Resource Management
- Concept of Home management, System approach to family, Input, Output and feedback.
- Family Resources – Management of Resources like time energy and money; Basic characteristics of Resources; Efficient methods of utilization of Resources.
- Family Life Cycle – Demands upon resources like time, energy and money.
- Concept of Ergonomics – its importance and application in home.
- Concept of Communication process and its importance in family; Barriers in Communication process; Measures for Effective Communication.
- Concept of Work Simplification – its importance in home; Simple pen and pencil technique.
- Consumer Education – Laws protecting consumer; Role of consumer society in protecting consumer; Kinds of adulteration; Identification of adulteration.
Elective – VI : Home Science Extension Education
- Curriculum Development for Formal Education in Home Sciences.
- General and Special Methods of Teaching Home Science.
- Media and Materials for promoting Home Science in Formal / Non – formal / Adult / Extension Education.
- Non – formal and Adult Education in Home Science.
- Extension Education in Home Science.
- Women in Changing India and Plans for their development.
- Self – Employment and Entrepreneurship through Home Science.
- Programmes of extension in Home Science.
- Measurement and Evaluation including monitoring and supervision for Formal / Non – formal / Adult Education / Extension Education.