UGC NET Library and Information Science Syllabus 2017
Code No. : 59 CBSE NET January 2017 Library and Information Science Syllabus
Subject : Library and Information Science
There will be two question papers. UGC NET Library Information Science Paper II will cover 50 Multiple Choice Questions ( Multiple choice, Matching type, True / False, Assertion-Reasoning type ) carrying 100 marks and UGC NET Library Information Science Paper III will have two Parts – A and B.
Part – A will have 10 short essay type questions ( 300 words ) carrying 16 marks each. There will be one question from each unit with internal choice from the same unit.
Total marks will be 160. Part – B will be compulsory and Questions will be set from Unit – I to Unit – X. The candidate will attempt one question from Part – B ( 800 words ) carrying 40 marks. Total marks of UGC NET Library Information Science Paper III will be 200.
UGC NET Library Information Science Paper II and Paper III ( Part A & B ) :
Unit – I :
- Information : Information Science, Information Society.
- Information as a Resource / Commodity.
- Information Transfer Cycle : Generation, Collection, Storage and Dissemination.
- Role of information in Planning, Management. Socio – economic Development.
- Technology transfer Communication : Channels, barriers.
- Intellectual Property Rights : Concept, Copyright, Censorship – Print and Non – print Media.
- Library and Information Policy at the National Level.
Unit – II :
- Laws of Library Science.
- Library Resource Sharing and Networking.
- Library Movement and Library Legislation in India.
- Library Extension Services.
- Library and Information Science Education in India.
- Library and Information Profession.
- Library Associations in India, UK and USA : ILA, IASLIC, IATLIS. SIS, LA, ASLIB, SLA and ALA.
- Library Associations Organizations at International level : FID, IFLA and UNESCO.
Unit – III :
- Sources of Information : Primary, Secondary and Tertiary – Documentary and Non – documentary.
- Reference Sources : Encyclopaedias, Dictionaries, Geographical Sources, Biographical Sources, Year – books / Almanacs, Directories, and Handbooks, Statistical ( salient features and evaluation ).
- Bibliographical Sources : Bibliographies, Union Catalogues, Indexing and Abstracting Journals ( salient features and evaluation ) E – documents, E – books. E – Journals.
- Databases : Bibliographic,Numeric / and Full text – Evaluation.
Unit – IV :
- Reference and Information services, Referral Service.
- Bibliographic Service, Indexing and Abstracting Service, CAS, SDI, Digest Service, Trend Report.
- Online Services
- Translation Services
- Reprographic Services
Unit – V :
- Organisation of knowledge / information.
- Modes of formation of subjects.
- Library Classification : Canons and Principles.
- Library Classification Schemes : DDC, UDG and CG.
- Library Cataloguing : Canons and Principles.
- Library Cataloguing Codes : CCC and AACR – II.
- Bibliographic Records : International standards – ISBDs, MARC and CCF.
- Indexing : Pre – coordlnate, Post – coordinate.
- Vocabulary Control : Thesaurus, lists of Subject Headings.
- Databases : Search Strategies, Boolean Operators.
- Knowledge Management
Unit – VI :
- Management : Principles, Functions, Schools of Thought Planing, Organization Structure Decision making.
- System Study : Analysis, Evaluation and Design.
- Collection Development : Books, Serials, Non – book Materials – Selection, Acquisition, Maintenance; ISBN, ISSN, Cataloging – in – Publication ( CIP ).
- Human Resources Management : Manpower Planning, Job analysis, Job description, Selection, Recruitment, Motivation Training and Development, Staff Manual.
- Leadership and Performance.
- Evaluation Delegation of authority.
- Financial Management : Resource Generation, Types of Budgeting, Cost and Cost – Benefit analysis.
- PERT, CPM
- Library Buildings and Equipments.
- Performance Evaluation of Libraries / Information Centres and Services. Marketing Information product and services Total Quality Management ( TQM ).
Unit – VII :
- Information Technology : Components; Impact of IT on Society.
- Computers : Hardware, Software, Storage – Devices, Input / Output Devices.
- Telecommunication : Transmission media, Switching systems, Bandwidth, Multiplexing, Modulation, Protocols, Wireless Communication Fax, E – Mail, Tele – conferencing / Video – conferencing, Bulletin Board Service, Teletext, Videotex, Voice Mail.
- Networking : Concepts, Topologies, Types – LAN, MAN and WAN Hypertext, Hypermedia, Multimedia.
- Integrated Services Digital Network ( ISDN ), Open Systems Interconnection ( OSI ).
Unit – VIII :
- Library Automation : Areas of automation. Planning, Hardware and Software Selection, OPAC.
- Networks : ERNET, NICNET; DELNET, JANET, BLAISE, OCLC, INFLIBNET.
- Internet : Components, Services, Browsing – Web Browsers, Search Engines Meta – Data, Digital Object Identifier ( DOI ).
- National and International Information Systems : NISSAT, NASSDOC, INSDOC, DESIDOC, INIS, AGRIS, MEDLARS, INSPEC.
Unit – IX :
- Types of Research : Basic, Applied, Interdisciplinary, Research Design, Scientific Method, Hypotheses, Data Collection, Sampling.
- Methods of Research : Historical, Descriptive, Case Study, Survey, Comparative and Experimental.
- Statistical Methods, Data Analysis.
- Report Writing
- Research Methods in library and Information Science and Services. Bibliometrics
Unit – X :
- Types of Libraries : National, Public, Academic and Special Objectives, Structure and Functions.
- Digital Libraries : Concept
- Virtual Libraries : Concept
- Types of users, User studies, User education.
- Role of UGC in the growth and development of libraries and information centres in institutions of higher education in India.
- Role of Raja Rammohan Roy Library Foundation ( RRLF ).
UGC National Eligibility Test NET 2017 Navigation : UGC NET January 2017 Syllabus for Visual Arts, UGC NET January 2017 Linguistics Syllabus, UGC NET January 2017 Computer Science and Applications Syllabus, UGC NET Women Studies Syllabus January 2017, UGC NET January Electronic Science Syllabus 2017, UGC NET January 2017 Comparative Literature Syllabus, UGC NET Environmental Sciences Syllabus January 2017, UGC NET January Folk Literature Syllabus 2017, UGC NET January 2017 Forensic Science Syllabus, UGC NET January 2017 Syllabus for Tribal and Regional Language / Literature, UGC NET January 2017 International and Area Studies Syllabus, UGC NET January Criminology Syllabus 2017, UGC NET January 2017 Syllabus for Archaeology, UGC NET January 2017 Syllabus for Museology and Conservation, UGC NET January 2017 Syllabus for Human Rights and Duties, UGC NET January 2017 Syllabus for Social Medicine and Community Health, UGC NET January 2017 Syllabus for Geography, UGC NET January 2017 Syllabus for Tourism Administration and Management, UGC NET January Performing Arts Dance Drama Theater Syllabus 2017, UGC NET January 2017 Syllabus for Mass Communication and Journalism, UGC NET January 2017 Syllabus for Comparative Study of Religions, UGC NET January Buddhist Jaina Gandhian and Peace Studies Syllabus 2017, UGC NET January Exam English Syllabus 2017, UGC NET January 2017 Arab Culture and Islamic Studies Syllabus, UGC NET January 2017 Management Syllabus,
UGC National Eligibility Test NET Related : UGC NET, UGC NET Library Information Science Syllabus 2017, CBSE NET Syllabus 2017, UGC NET Library and Information Science Syllabus 2017, UGC NET January 2017 JRF Syllabus, CBSE NET 2017 Information Science Syllabus, UGC NET January Syllabus 2017, UGC NET JanuaryLibrary Science Syllabus 2017, CBSE NET Exam 2017 Syllabus, UGC NET January Examination Syllabus, NET Syllabus for Library and Information Science 2017, Syllabus for UGC NET Exam 2017, UGC NET 2017 Syllabus Papers, UGC National Eligibility Test Syllabus 2017, CBSE NET January Syllabus for Information Science 2017, UGC NET Entrance Exam Syllabus 2017, Syllabus for UGC NET January 2017, UGC NET 2017 Test Syllabus, UGC NET Entrance Exam 2017, CBSE NET January Notifications 2017, UGC NET Library Information Science Question Paper 2017, CBSE NET 2017 Sample Papers ,
Code No. : 59 CBSE NET January 2017 Library and Information Science Syllabus Subject : Library and Information Science Note : There will be two question papers. UGC NET Library Information Science Paper II will cover 50 Multiple Choice Questions ( … Continue reading
Posted In ugc national eligibility test net : Leave a response for ugc net library and information science syllabus 2017 by nirmala