Code No. : 66 CBSE NET Museology and Conservation Syllabus 2017
Subject : Museology and Conservation
There will be two question papers. UGC NET Paper II will cover 50 Multiple Choice Questions ( Multiple choice, Matching type, True / False, Assertion – Reasoning type ) carrying 100 marks and UGC NET Paper III will have two Parts – A and B.
Part – A will have 10 short essay type questions ( 300 words ) carrying 16 marks each. There will be one question from each unit with internal choice from the same unit. Total marks will be 160.
Part – B will be compulsory and Questions will be set from Unit – I to Unit – X. The candidate will attempt one question from Part – B ( 800 words ) carrying 40 marks. Total marks of UGC NET Paper III will be 200.
UGC NET Paper II and Paper III ( Parts A & B )
Unit – I
- Definition of Museum.
- Definition of Museology / Museography.
- History of Development of Museum – World / India.
- Types of Museums – India.
- Para Museums.
- Rural Museums – their problems.
- Role of Museum in Society.
- Museum accountability.
- Museum in changing world.
- Museum Movement and International Organization.
- Professional associations and their relevance.
Unit – II
- History of Collection – World.
- Theoretical issues and value based collection / objectives.
- Methods of Collection.
- Ethics of Collection.
- History of Documentation / aim and objectives.
- Registration Methods / Indexing / Cataloguing.
- Exhibition Documentation.
- Conservation / Restoration Documentation.
- Computerization / Multimedia.
Unit – III
- History / Archaeology / Architecture.
- Ethnology / Anthropology / Folk Literature.
- History of Art / Fine Arts / Performing Art.
- National History and Physical Sciences.
Unit – IV
- General Principles of presentation.
- Organization and planning of gallery / exhibition.
- Nature and types of exhibition.
- Permanent / temporary exhibition.
- Types of Museum Lighting – Natural and Artificial – their merits and demerits.
- Effects of light on textiles, paintings, natural history specimens.
- Preparation of blue print and stages of work.
- Selection of materials research for data input.
- Execution of presentation (layout, exhibit – design, stages of mounting illumination).
Unit – V
- Communication Techniques.
- Lable / Lable Writing.
- Audio – Visual Techniques / Application.
- Orientation and guiding.
- Other Complimentary Techniques and Application.
Unit – VI
- General Principles and Theoretical issues.
- Educational Role of the Museum.
- Educational Services and Facilities.
- Extension Services / out reach program.
- Special Services to Physically handicapped.
- Cultural Resources in Museum Education.
Unit – VII
- General Principles of Public Relations.
- Nature of Public Relations and its application in museum.
- Media Outlets – Print Media, Electronic Media.
- Information Technology in Museums.
- Public Facilities and Services.
- Classification of Museum visitors – its need.
- Friends of the Museum and Voluntary Services.
- Museum Marketing Strategy.
Unit – VIII
- Analysis of Materials.
- Factors of Deterioration.
- Pest Control in Museums.
- Sterilization / prevention / first aid.
- Preservation / Conservation / Lining / Darning.
Unit – IX
- Handling / Care.
- Storage Organisation.
- Packing and Transportation Regulations.
- Insurance / Other Safeguards.
- Museum Security against fire, theft and burglary, armed conflict.
Unit – X
- Principles of Museum Management.
- Administrative Structures of Museum.
- Museum Administration Personnel Finance.
- Policy Planning and Quality Development.
- Museum Security and Maintenance.