Vikram University About Us
Ujjayini ( now Ujjain ), the capital of ancient Avanti Pradesh and one of the oldest and most renowned seats of learning has a rich academic and cultural heritage.
Among the fourteen ancient universities of India, this 3000 year old university was the most widely recognized seat of all art forms, sports, science, literature,science and astronomical calculation. The annals of history establish that 3000 years hence Guru Sandipan, moved to Ujjayini from Kashi, and it was in Ujjayini , in his Ashram his disciples Lord Krishna, Balram and Sudama were initiated into the learning of Vedas and Vedanta. The torch of learning has been burning unabated since. In the Mauryan period around 4th century B.C., students from all over the world came to Ujjayini in pursuit of knowledge. By the end of the 4th century A.D., under the Gupta king Vikramaditya, the glory of this seat of learning spread farther. It reached its pinnacle of fame during the reign of king Asoka and Samvat Pravartak, King Vikramaditya Chandragupta II, who promoted Sanskrit over Prakrat.
Ujjain is known for its antiquity and its rich cultural and religious traditions. It has also been an ancient seat of learning. Therefore, after independence a galaxy of personalities urged upon the Central Government to establish a university at Ujjain. It was their proposal to name the university after the famous ruler “Vikramaditya”. When the state of Madhyabharat came into existence, Ujjain was selected for the proposed Vikram University.
Vikram University was established in Ujjain on the 1st of March, 1957. The foundation stone of Vikram University was laid by the then Home Minister of India Shri Govind Vallabh Pant on Tuesday, Kartika Krishnapaksha Chaturthi, Vikramabda 2013 i.e. on the 23rd of October, 1956. The function was presided over by the Rajpramukh of the Madhyabharat State Late Jiwajirao Scindia.
The new state of M.P. was formed in 1956 and Madhyabharat was merged into it. Thus, it was felt to amend the Act relating to the University. Consequently the amended Act of Vikram University No.13, 1957 was published in M.P. Gazette dated 16th August, 1957. From time to time many changes and amendments were made in the Act. Considerable decrease in the University jurisdiction occurred due to formation of Indore, Gwalior and Bhopal Universities during 1964-65 and 1969-70 respectively. On April 20th, 1973, the Honorable Governor granted permission to bring about homogeneity in the Organisation and administration of all the Universities of Madhya Pradesh. This permission was first Published in the Madhya Pradesh Gazette ( extraordinary ) on 23rd April, 1973. By a notification of the Education Department 940/20/8/71 dated 3rd May, 1973 the bye-laws of the M.P. Universities Act No. 1 to 19 were brought into effect from 25.9.73,whereas No. 20 to 26 and No.27 to 31 from 1.12.73 and 4.5.74 respectively for all the Universities of M.P. ( Including Vikram University ).
The M. P. Universities Act was amended and published in M.P. Gazette, on 28th June, 1985. As per the above Amendment, University Jurisdiction was redefined and demarcated in accordance with the Revenue districts of Ujjain Division i.e. Ujjain, Ratlam, Mandsaur, Neemuch, Shajapur and Dewas. Because of the new jurisdiction, the number of affiliated colleges decreased and some new colleges were granted affiliation.
The convocations held by the University in past years were addressed by great luminaries like Pt. Jawaharlal Nehru, Dr. Sarvapalli Radhakrishnan, Sir C. P. Ramaswami Ayyar, Dr. Kalulal Shrimali, Pt. Dwarkaprasad Mishra, Pt. Kunjilal Dube, Babu Jagjiwanram, Dr. Govind Narayan Singh, Smt. Mahadevi Verma, Smt. Indira Gandhi, Dr. Sarojini Mahishi, Dr. Gopal Swarup Pathak, Prof. Nurul Hasan, Dr. Hargovind Khurana and Dr. Satish Chandra.
Faculty & Departments of Vikram University
I. Faculty of Arts
- School of Studies in English
- School of Studies in Hindi
- School of Studies in JyotirVigyan
- School of Studies in Foreign Languages
- School of Studies in Sanskrit
- School of Studies in Philosophy
II. Faculty of Education
- School of Studies in Continuing Education
III. Faculty of Information Technology
- Institute of Computer Science
- School of Studies in Library and Information Science
IV. Faculty of Life Science
- School of Studies in Botany
- Institute of Environment Management & Plant Science – Environment
- School of Studies in Zoology and Biotechnology
- Institute of Environment Management & Plant Science – Microbiology
V. Faculty of Management
- Pt. J.N. Institute of Business Management
VI. Faculty of Physical Science
- School of Studies in Chemistry and Bio – Chemistry
- School of Studies in Mathematics
- School of Studies in Physics
- School of Studies in Statistics
- Institute of Pharmacy
- School of Studies in Earth Science
VII. Faculty of Social Science
- School of Studies in Ancient Indian History, Culture and Archaeology
- School of Studies in Economics
- School of Studies in Political Science and Public Administration
- School of Studies in Sociology
VIII. Faculty of Commerce
- School of Studies in Commerce
Courses in Vikram University
I. UG Programs :
- B.A ( Honors ) Programs :
- Sociology, Political Science & Public Administration, Ancient Indian History Culture & Archaeology.
- B.Sc ( Honors ) Programs :
- Economics, Statistics & Informatics, Microbiology.
- Other UG Programs :
- B.Com ( Bachelor of Commerce )
- B.L.I.Sc. ( Bachelor of Library and Information Sciences )
- B.B.A. ( Bachelor of Business Administration )
II. PG Programs :
- M.A Programs :
- English, Mass Communication, Sanskrit, Jyotirvigyan, Vedic Studies, Political Science, Public Administration, Human Rights, Ancient Indian History Culture & Archaeology, Economics, Hindi, Philosophy.
- M.Sc Programs :
- Computer Science, Chemistry & Biochemistry, Botany, Mathematics, Earth Sciences, Physics, Statistics, Zoology.
- MPhil Programs :
- English, Computer Science, Chemistry & Biochemistry, Library and Information Sciences, Botany, Sanskrit, Mathematics, Sociology, Sociology Works, Political Science, Public Administration, Ancient Indian History Culture & Archaeology, Economics, Hindi, Earth Sciences, Physics, Statistics, Zoology & Bio – Technology, Commerce.
- M.Com Programs :
- Marketing Management, Financial Analysis & Control.
- Other Post Graduate Program :
- M.L.I.Sc. ( Master of Library and Information Sciences )
III. Diploma Programs :
- Air Fare & Travel Management, Diploma in Russian, Senior Diploma in Russian, Diploma in Karmakanda.
IV. PG Diploma Programs :
- Heritage Management, Tour & Hotel Management, Museology, Ground Water Management, Remote Sensing & GIS.
VI. Certificate Programs :
- Proficiency in Russian, Proficiency in German, Proficiency in French.
Vikram University Affiliated Colleges
|SI.NO.||Programs||Program Qualification Requirement|
|1.||MSc Applied Mathematics|
( With Computer Science Specialisation )
|Pass in B.Sc. ( Applied Sciences ) / B.Sc. Maths.|
|2.||MSc Materials Science||Pass in B.Sc. Applied Sciences / B.Sc. Physics with Maths ancillary.|
|3.||MSc Applied Chemistry||Pass in B.Sc. Applied Sciences / B.Sc. Chemistry with Maths ancillary.|
|4.||MSc Computer Technology||Pass in B.Sc. Computer Science / Information Technology / Software Engineering / Computer Technology / Applied Science Computer Technology / Applied Science Information Technology / Applied Science Computer Systems Maintenance and Networking, BCA - Computer Application|
Ujjain University Address
Ujjain ( MP ),
Pin – 456010,
Telephone No : 2514270, 2514277,
Fax : 2514276,
E – mail : firstname.lastname@example.org,
Website : http://www.vikramuniv.net/#.