Gokhale Institute of Politics & Economics – GIPEUniversities in India » Maharashtra »
GIPE Gokhale Institute of Politics & Economics About Us
Founded in 1930, the Gokhale Institute of Politics and Economics ( GIPE ) is one of the oldest institutions for economics teaching and research in India.Though mainly a research Institute, from its inception the M.A. and Ph.D degrees offered by GIPE were recognized by the University of Bombay. With the establishment of the University of Poona ( 1949 ), GIPE became a constituent recognized institution of that University.
In 1962, recognizing its contribution to research in agricultural economics, the University Grants Commission ( UGC ) selected the Institute as a Centre of Advanced Study in Agricultural Economics. The scope was broadened two years later when the UGC declared GIPE as a Centre of Advanced Study in Economics. In 1993, Keeping in view its professional standing and scope for further development, the Government of India declared GIPE as ‘Deemed to be a University’.
Gokhale Institute of Politics & Economics is located in the premises of the Servants of India Society, established in 1905 by the great Indian nationalist leader Gopal Krishna Gokhale ( 1866 – 1915 ). On the Fergusson Hill behind the Institute lies the spot where Gokhale took the vows of the Society – poverty, obedience, and service to nation – and administered them to three others. It has become a landmark because of the erection of a column there.
Gokhale’s bungalow still stands in the precincts of the Society. So does a massive banyan tree under which Gokhale and M.K. Gandhi used to discuss political issues. Gandhi regarded Gokhale as his ‘political guru’. The Gokhale Institute was established in 1930, incorporating the Servants of India Society library.
Courses of GIPE India
- M.A. Programs :
Economics, Financial Economics, Agri – business Economics.
- Ph.D. Programs :
Economics, Population Studies and Agricultural Economics.
- Certificate Diploma Courses
GIPE Admission Procedure :
1) The student are admitted purely on merit through entrance test.
2) The minimum percentage of marks to be eligible for applying to the Master’s Programme of the Institute is 50 percent in aggregate for general category candidates and 45 percent in aggregate for reserved category candidates at graduation level.
3) From the academic year 2002-03, the Institute has been conducting entrance test for admission in M.A. (Economics) program.
4) The entrance test consists of three major components.
- Analytical Ability
- Knowledge of Elementary Economics
- Aptitude for Statistics and Mathematics
5) The reputation and social accreditation of the Institute are so high that Institute is able to attract students from all over the country.
6) Every year Institute is receiving around 400 applications for 30 to 40 seats from all over the country.
7) Institute is encouraging the students from weaker sections belonging to SC, ST and OBC to join this programme by giving some relaxation in norms of admission and also by waiving tuition fee for one student each from the SC, ST and OBC category.
Gokhale Institute of Politics & Economics Address
Gokhale Institute of Politics and Economics ( GIPE ),
BMCC Road, Deccan Gymkhana,
Pune – 411 004,
Phone No. : + 91 – 20 – 25650287 / 25679940 / 25654288 / 25661367,
Fax : + 91 – 20 – 25652579,
Telegram : GOKHALINST ( DG ),
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com,
Website : http://www.gipe.ac.in/#.