International Institute For Population Sciences – IIPS
International Institute For Population Sciences – IIPS About Us
The International Institute for Population Sciences ( IIPS ) serves as a regional Institute for Training and Research in Population Studies for the ESCAP region. It was established in Mumbai in July 1956, till July 1970 it was known as the Demographic Training and Research Centre ( DTRC ) and till 1985 it was known as the International Institute for Population Studies ( IIPS ). The Institute was re – designated to its present title in 1985 to facilitate the expansion of its academic activities and was declared as a ‘Deemed University’ in August 19, 1985 under Section 3 of the UGC Act, 1956 by the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India. The recognition has facilitated the award of recognized degrees by the Institute itself and paved the way for further expansion of the Institute as an academic institution.
Started in 1956 under the joint sponsorship of Sir Dorabji Tata Trust, the Government of India and the United Nations, it has established itself as the premier Institute for training and research in Population Studies for developing countries in the Asia and Pacific region.
International Institute For Population Sciences – IIPS holds a unique position among all the regional centres, in that it was the first such centre to be started, and serves a much larger population than that served by any of the other regional centres. International Institute For Population Sciences – IIPS is under the administrative control of the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India.
Besides teaching and research activities, the Institute also provides consultancy to the Government and Non – Government organizations and other academic institutions. Over the years, the Institute has helped in building a nucleus of professionals in the field of population and health in various countries of the ESCAP region.
During the past 53 years, students from 42 different countries of Asia and the Pacific region, Africa and North America have been trained at the Institute. Many, who are trained at the Institute, now occupy key positions in the field of Population and Health in Government of various countries, Universities and Research Institutes as well as in reputed National and International organizations.
Objectives of International Institute For Population Sciences – IIPS
- To train persons from India and other countries in demography and related fields, including demographic aspects of family planning.
- To undertake scientific research on population problems which are of special importance to India and other countries in the ESCAP region.
- To collect, organize and disseminate demographic information about the population of India and other countries of the world.
- To provide services of research, evaluation, training, consultation and guidance related to demographic problems to government departments, public corporations or private establishments as deemed desirable in pursuance of the objective of the Society.
- To undertake, organize and facilitate study courses, conferences, lectures, seminars and the like to promote the aforesaid objectives.
- To undertake and provide for publication of journals and research papers, books and to establish, maintain libraries and information service in furtherance of the objectives of the Society.
Faculty of IIPS Mumbai :
- Department of Mathematical Demography & Statistics
- Department of Fertility Studies
- Department of Public Health & Mortality Studies
- Department of Migration & Urban Studies
- Department of Population Policies & Programs
- Department of Development Studies
- Department of Extra Mural Studies and Distance Education ( Project Basis )
International Institute For Population Sciences Courses :
- Master of Population Studies ( MPS ) / Master of Philosophy ( M.Phil. ) in Population Studies
- Master of Population Studies ( MPS ) ( Distance Learning )
- Diploma in Population Studies ( DPS ) ( Distance Learning )
- Doctor of Philosophy ( Ph.D. ) in Population Studies
- Diploma in Health Promotion Education ( DHPE )
- Short Term Courses :
- Application of Qualitative Methods of Data Collection in Population Research, Gender Issues in Population , Health and Development, Population and Development, Nordic course ( with NCI ) Demography – Gender and Reproductive health.
- IIPS – JHU Course on FPRH
- M.A. / M.Sc Program in Population Studies
IIPS Mumbai Address :
International Institute for Population Sciences ( IIPS ),
Govandi Station Road,
Deonar, Mumbai – 400 088,
Website : http://www.iipsindia.org.