VNIT Visvesvaraya National Institute of Technology About Us
Visvesvaraya National Institute of Technology, Nagpur is one of the first six Regional Engineering Colleges established under the scheme sponsored by Government of India. The college was established in June 1960 as a part of national integration initiative through joint venture of Govt. of India and Govt. of Maharashtra and named after the eminent engineer, planner and statesman of the country Sir M. Visvesvaraya.
Situated in an industrially well developed, socially progressive and commercially prosperous state in the country, VNIT is uniquely placed to contribute significantly to the quality of technical manpower to maintain and enhance the technological pre – eminence of the state by;
- Incorporating current and significant international trends in technology developments in “educational experience” of its graduates.
- Involvement of industry leaders, R & D Managers in the formulation of academic programs, identification of undergraduate and post graduate projects to be pursued.
- Experimental developments for increasing competitiveness of local industry products. Exposure to New Technologies for increasing the competitiveness.
- Initiating state level new product design and process innovation competition with attractive sponsorship and rewards.
- Access to industry expertise through “guest lectures”, jointly supervised projects, exchange of high quality testing and certification facilities.
- Offering continuing education programs in emerging areas for senior managers and policy makers from industry & user departments.
Over these years, the institute has earned a reputation as a pace setting institute offering high quality academic ambience for engineering education. According to a recent survey, this Institute is now amongst the top 15 institutes in the country producing human resource capable of coping with the accelerating pace of technological developments at international level.
Apart from imparting professional education at under graduate and postgraduate levels, the institute has been extending available expertise to various Govt. / Semi – Govt. and primary objective of institute is to provide advanced technological skills & expertise to enhance teaching & academic activities. Greater emphasis is also being placed on revenue generation through utilisation of facilities for providing services to the industries on commercial basis.
VNIT has a beautiful green campus of about 214 acres near Ambazari Dam. All departments & laboratories are housed on the campus. Hostels accommodating about 1000 students, including 200 girl students, as well as residential accommodation for teaching & non – teaching staff of the college are available on the campus.
Consciously developed, the campus has retained & increased its green cover, rich in natural flora & fauna, & provides an attraction for bird watchers.
Departments in Visvesvaraya National Institute of Technology
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science & Engineering
- Electronics & Communication Engineering
- Electrical & Electronics Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Metallurgical & Materials Engineering
- Mining Engineering
- Applied Mechanics
- Applied Physics
- Applied Chemistry
- Architecture & Planning
Courses Offered by VNIT Nagpur
B Tech / B Arch Programs :
- Architecture, Civil Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Computer Science Engineering, Electronics & Communication Engineering, Electrical & Electronics Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Metallurgical & Materials Engineering, Mining Engineering.
M Tech Programs :
- Environmental Engineering, Water Resources Engineering, Construction Technology and Management, Integrated Power System, Power Electronics and Drives, VLSI Design, Computer Science Engineering, Structural Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, Structural Engineering, Heat Power Engineering, Industrial Engineering, CAD – CAM, Material Engineering, Urban Planning.
Visvesvaraya National Institute of Technology Distance Education
To facilitate the availability of the world – class IIT courses to Non – IITians, VNIT has set – up remote Centre for Distance Engineering Education ( C – DEEP ) of IIT Bombay in 2002. Majority of the courses taught at Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Bombay are made available at this remote centre. Students / teachers / Professionals in the the faculty of Engineering, Science, MCA are eligible for the courses. A semester long course in various subjects are offered through this remote centre.
The courses is taught by IIT faculty and made available live through video – conferring via Edu – Sat satellite. Student can interact with faculty online which helps him in better and deeper understanding of the course. The courses are offered in different modes. The fee varies from Rs. 1000/- to 35,000/- depending upon mode of registration. For the detailed information about the courses being offered, fee structure, mode of registration, please refer to www.cdeep.iitb.ac.in or feel free to contact :
Co – ordinator,
Centre for Distance Engineering Education ( C – DEEP ),
2nd floor, Administrative Block,
Phone No. : 2801314,
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org.
Visvesvaraya National Institute of Technology Address
Visvesvaraya National Institute of Technology,
South Ambazari Road,
Pin – 440010 ( India ),
Phone No. : ( + 91 – 712 – ) 2222828, 2224123, 2231636, 2226750, 2223710, 2236330, 2236331, 2236332,
Fax : ( + 91 – 712 – ) 2223969, 2223230,
Website : http://vnit.ac.in.