The Japan Foundation Fellowship Program
Long Term Fellowship 2-12 months Short Term Fellowship 21-59 days Dissertation Fellowship 4-12 months ( for Doctoral / candidates ). Applications in the natural science medicine and engineering subjects are not considered for the above fellowships.
- Scholars and Researchers ( Long-Term ) ( 2-12 months )
Scholars and researchers in the humanities or social sciences. Applicants must hold Ph.D. or equivalent professional experience at the time of application.
- Scholars and Researchers ( Short-Term ) ( 21-59 days )
Scholars and researchers in the humanities and social sciences who need to conduct intensive research in Japan. Applicants must hold Ph.D. or equivalent professional experience at the time of application.
- Doctoral Candidates ( 4-12 months )
Doctoral candidates in the humanities or social sciences. Applicants must have achieved ABD status by the time the fellowship begins.
Japan Foundation Fellowship Program Eligibility
Basic Eligibility Requirements
- Applicants must be American citizens, American citizens temporarily residing abroad, or permanent residents of the United States. Americans with permanent residency in other countries should submit their applications to the Japan Foundation’s office in the country where they reside or to the Japanese diplomatic mission of their resident country using a different form by December 1, 2017.
- Applicants residing in the United States who are neither U.S. citizens nor permanent residents should submit their applications to the Foundation’s Tokyo Headquarters using a different formby December 1, 2017.
- Doctoral Candidates must have achieved ABD status by the time the Fellowship begins.
- Applicants for Scholars and Researchers program ( both Long-Term and Short-Term ) must hold a Ph.D. or equivalent professional experience in research, teaching and writing in the fields of the humanities or social sciences at the time of application.
- Previous recipients of Japan Foundation Fellowships, such as the Japanese Studies Fellowship, Abe Fellowship, etc., are eligible to reapply only if, on April 1, 2018, a full three years have elapsed since the termination of their most recent Fellowship. Previous Short-Term Research Fellows may reapply after one full year from the termination of their most recent Fellowship.
- Applicants may receive funding through only one Fellowship sponsored by the Japan Foundation, including the Abe Fellowship, during any one Japanese fiscal year, which runs from April 1 through March 31.
- Applicants must be in good health.
- Applicants must be proficient in either Japanese or English.
- Applicants must secure all affiliation arrangements by the application deadline ( excluding applicants for the Research Fellowship ( Short-Term ) ).
- In principle, applicants must be able to stay continuously in Japan for the term of Fellowship
Japan Foundation Fellowship Program Application form
The application deadline is 11:59pm EST on Wednesday, November 1, 2017. Applications must be submitted online at https://japanfoundation.fluidreview.com/. For further information or questions, please contact:
Japanese Studies Fellowship Program
The Japan Foundation, New York
Applicants who hold neither U.S. citizenship nor permanent-residency status, or applicants who hold U.S. citizenship and permanent resident status in another country in which they are residing ( except for Japan ), should use a different form, which is available from the nearest Japan Foundation office or Japanese diplomatic mission. The deadline is December 1, 2017.
Applicants may only apply to one category of the Fellowship Program. Multiple applications from the same applicant will make all applications invalid.
Japan Foundation Fellowship Program Application Deadline
- Application deadline: EST on Wednesday, 1st November, 2017 11:59pm
- Notification of results : Principal awardees will be notified starting late April 2018. Alternate awardees will be notified as fellowships become available.
Application Form Submission 16 Dec 2020 to 16 Jan 2021.